Fee For Termination of Contract

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 18, 2016
I had been doing business with Verizon for several years and had to terminate my service with them because of chronically slow internet. Upon cancellation of my service they charged me a "3 year termination fee". I had been doing business with them for over 3 years and couldn't understand how they could charge me this fee. They claim that by paying my monthly bill I had entered into a 3 year contract with them and that by cancelling my service I was in breach of that contract and was therefore assessed a fee. Any indication that I was in a contract with them is hidden on page two under the description Verizon Single Line BUS PK- 3 Year. I had no idea when this contract started or when it would end. I was under the impression that because they hadn't actually mailed me a contract that I was paying month to month.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
So you had a business package, not a personal? Are you wanting to dispute the fee?

Here are our contacts for Verizon.
http://elliott.org/company-contacts/verizon-communications-inc/

Start at Customer Service and write to them telling them you were never told you had a contract with them and since it wasn't disclosed (it wasn't, was it?) you are requesting to have the termination fee refunded. Wait a week for a response, if it is a no, write to the first executive shown. If you don't hear from that person within a week, then write to the next executive. Repeat weekly until you get to the top.

If you get all the way through and don't get satisfaction, I might think about filing a complaint with the FCC that this "contract" was never disclosed to you when you joined Verizon.

Let us know what happens.

Aug 10, 2013
Atlanta
I second @Neil advice.

To make sure I have the facts, I just want to make sure I'm understanding. You signed up over 3 years ago. They're claiming you are in a 3 year contract.

-Are they claiming this contract automatically renewed after the initial 3 years?

-Did you change your service at some point in any way? (Often this starts a new contract term)

-Are they telling you how far into the 3 year contract you supposedly are? If so, have They prorated the amount?

I think I could get a better idea and perhaps help with the situation and a letter with this information.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Good grief, there's no end to the unethical practices of the American corporation. Telecommunications, rental cars, airlines, appliance stores ... they've totally forgotten that they're running a business to serve customers.

If you had been paying your bill by credit card, I'd dispute the charge immediately. Unless they can produce a contract that is viable right now, they're just out there fishing for suckers. It's maddening.

R

Realitoes

I had been doing business with Verizon for several years and had to terminate my service with them because of chronically slow internet. Upon cancellation of my service they charged me a "3 year termination fee". I had been doing business with them for over 3 years and couldn't understand how they could charge me this fee. They claim that by paying my monthly bill I had entered into a 3 year contract with them and that by cancelling my service I was in breach of that contract and was therefore assessed a fee. Any indication that I was in a contract with them is hidden on page two under the description Verizon Single Line BUS PK- 3 Year. I had no idea when this contract started or when it would end. I was under the impression that because they hadn't actually mailed me a contract that I was paying month to month.
Have you changed or updated your service within the last 3 years. That may have reset your clock.

I like Joe's advise, have them show you a signed contract with the date you agreed to those terms!