Failure to provide mileage credit for Flight paid in cash

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 1, 2018
My wife and I recently flew from Chicago too Tel Aviv (and return) on Royal Jordanian Airlines (RJ). As RJ is a partner of American Airlines we expected to get AA miles for the overseas portions of our trip. Our tickets were purchased through Chase Sapphire points with RJ being paid cash for the tickets. When we inquired of American why we were not getting mileage credit we were told that RJ had classified our reservations as “mileage tickets” not eligible for any credit. I have spoken with the AA Gold desk (I am AA Gold for life) and they have told me that their agreement with RJ permits RJ to determine how credit is given. I have spoken with the Chase Sapphire customer support to verify that RJ was paid cash for the tickets. I have tried to reach RJ but they have not taken my calls nor responded to my messages. We departed Chicago on 03/26/2018 and returned from Tel Aviv on 04/24/2018.

Feb 21, 2018
I'm not sure it makes a difference how RJ was paid...the fact is that you used points, and I've never seen an airline award you points for a flight when points were used to buy the ticket.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Have you called Chase and asked why you weren’t awarded mileage? I wouldn’t ask if they were paid in cash but why you didn’t receive mileage. Ask Chase what ticket class was booked. They should be able to tell you why you didn’t receive mileage.

We have contacts for Royal Jordanian. Use email, not phone calls. Please click on Company Contacts and read how to write before you do.

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/royal-jordanian-airlines/

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It also depends on the ticket class - some ticket classes do not earn points. Do you know what ticket class your tickets were booked on Royal? We can check the class and see if it earned mileage.
From The Points Guy:

Be aware that there are exceptions when booking through a travel portal, and sometimes airfares can fall into the “bulk fare” category, so you might not get as many miles as you’d expect. Make sure you check the ticket’s fare class, fare rules and the terms and conditions when booking through a portal before you make a purchase.

Apr 10, 2017
I am unfamiliar with this particular airline but I have used a combination of miles and money to book flights on Delta. In these cases the passenger doesn't receive mileage credit for the flights, despite using cash for partial payment.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Here is the mileage rewards info from AA. For this airline, if the ticket was a code N,O or G - there is no mileage earned:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/partner-airlines/royal-jordanian.jsp

If a purchased fare booking code is not listed in the tables, no Elite Qualifying Credits or award miles are earned. EQMs and EQDs are calculated based on a percentage of the distance flown as determined by the booking code. Elite bonuses do not apply to EQMs or EQDs.

Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Royal Jordanian will earn AAdvantage® award miles, Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) according to the American mileage accrual chart

Jul 27, 2016
I'm not sure it makes a difference how RJ was paid...the fact is that you used points, and I've never seen an airline award you points for a flight when points were used to buy the ticket.
I get mileage on flights booked this way all the time. The ticket was paid for in cash by Chase. Chase was paid in points, but that doesn't matter from the airline's perspective.

The question I have is what fare bucket the ticket was booked into - not all fare buckets with partners earn AA miles.