Facebook reactivated the dormant account i shared with my abuser with out my consent.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 29, 2018
Hello,
I am currently going through a traumatic situation with Facebook. Three years ago I divorced my abuser. I now have a restraint order against him. Because of the nature of the relationship we shared a Facebook account, under my name.
Three years later, I am starting a new life where I don't tell people about my divorce and my past dealing with dometic violence.
Yesterday I found that Facebook reactivated my dormant account.
I did not consent to this.
Nothing has changed, the same pictures and information, no new posts. Although, It uses a password I have never seen (it says they can send me a code to m*****3@yahoo.com to log back in)

I have zero access over this haunting Facebook account.

I am worried it could be my abuser or a hacker, with no proof of it being him I don't know if I can go to law enforcement. Either way, how can I expect my life to move on when my ex wedding photos are there within a simple Facebook search?

I'm at a loss. I've filed their generic help forms. I've gotten a generic response saying no community guidelines were broken. There is no place to reach out to a person at Facebook to explain my situation.
If people can't have two accounts that is breaking a guideline, therefor my current account and my old account would be breaking a guideline.

Please help me.

Sep 19, 2015
Can you report it as someone pretending to be you? Has the email address been changed from when you had it? Can you report this as an imposter account?

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@Traumatizedd Another angle you might look at. If you have a restraining order, this might violate it. Might be time to reach out to your lawyer.

Another thought is that someone maybe "ghosting" the account which is a form of fraud that's happened to a few of my friend.

I think the trouble is that if you two shared the account, there's probably little that FB can do.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/facebook/

The above link has our company contacts for facebook. Start with the primary contract, and send them a short, polite email explaining the situation and asking that the account be permanently disabled. Wait a week and escalte if necessary. Do not start with the CEO and do not email all of them at once.

I would also file a complaint with the local police. No, you don't know if it's him or not but they should be able to trace the account with a warrant.

One suggestion - for any other shared, dormant accounts get back into them and add two step authentication via your cell. Also change all your email accounts passwords now and ensure two step authentication is enabled for them as well. This ensures if anyone tries to change passwords, emails, etc that they will be unable to do so without the texted passcode to your cell.

Jan 29, 2018
How long ago was it reported? What was facebooks answer?
The answer was:

Thanks for letting us know about something you think may go against our Community Standards. Reports like yours are an important part of making Facebook a safe and welcoming environment.

In this case, we reviewed the profile you reported and found that it doesn't go against our Community Standards.

Note: If you see something on someone's profile that shouldn't be on Facebook, be sure to report the content (ex: a photo or video), not the entire profile. This will help us review your report more accurately.

For more information about our policies, please read the Facebook Community Standards:

https://www.facebook.com/communitystandards

Thanks,
The Facebook Team

Jan 29, 2018
@Traumatizedd Another angle you might look at. If you have a restraining order, this might violate it. Might be time to reach out to your lawyer.

Another thought is that someone maybe "ghosting" the account which is a form of fraud that's happened to a few of my friend.

I think the trouble is that if you two shared the account, there's probably little that FB can do.
My name is the primary name on the account, his name was in parenthesis (like an alternative name).

Jan 29, 2018
http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/facebook/

The above link has our company contacts for facebook. Start with the primary contract, and send them a short, polite email explaining the situation and asking that the account be permanently disabled. Wait a week and escalte if necessary. Do not start with the CEO and do not email all of them at once.

I would also file a complaint with the local police. No, you don't know if it's him or not but they should be able to trace the account with a warrant.

One suggestion - for any other shared, dormant accounts get back into them and add two step authentication via your cell. Also change all your email accounts passwords now and ensure two step authentication is enabled for them as well. This ensures if anyone tries to change passwords, emails, etc that they will be unable to do so without the texted passcode to your cell.
I started with the primary contact and sent this:

An unauthorized user recently reactivated a dormant Facebook account of mine using a fraudulent email. I have a restraining order against my former spouse so I feel traumatized by the old photos that are public on this account.
Using Facebook Security I have attempted multiple times to report my account as stolen but they are unable to help me access or delete this account.
Please recognize the nature and urgency of my request and assist me in permanently deleting this old account. I will be happy to provide proof of my identification.

Jan 23, 2015
Wow, what is happening to you is absolutely horrible. If I can make a comment, I think the best tack to take with them is going to be violation of restraining order and fraud, as opposed to trauma. No doubt this is a horrendous traumatizing experience for you, but trauma alone isn't going to cause them to take action. The legal stuff is scarier for them and their legal department. Good luck and I hope this is resolved in your favor soon.

I started with the primary contact and sent this:

An unauthorized user recently reactivated a dormant Facebook account of mine using a fraudulent email. I have a restraining order against my former spouse so I feel traumatized by the old photos that are public on this account.
Using Facebook Security I have attempted multiple times to report my account as stolen but they are unable to help me access or delete this account.
Please recognize the nature and urgency of my request and assist me in permanently deleting this old account. I will be happy to provide proof of my identification.

Dec 7, 2017
SoCal - EAST
It is against FB rules to 'share' an account. This is one of the reasons why.

Sure - contact FB and tell them its a domestic abuser with a dormant former account who has a restraining order against them.

Can you be positive it is your former abuser? Because technically he is violating the terms of a domestic violence restraining order.

Sep 19, 2015
Very disappointing with FB response -- if the reactivated account is Ms X (Mr Y) and Ms. X says this is not me using the account, I would think FB would take it down.

I would go with identity theft and impersonation. As one cannot say right now if it is Mr. Y using the account versus one of these fb scammers that steal accounts. I hope the contacts respond soon,

Feb 9, 2016
I didnt see if you had told them you lost the password and asked for their help in getting it reset? Offer to provide photo identification immediately.

the other thing you can do is tell them this is a SECOND account that is using your name and email. FB doesn't allow you to have 2 accounts if they know about it.

as @Its Not Me also pointed out, you are violating FB's TOS by sharing an account, so ask them to close it based on that.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I didnt see if you had told them you lost the password and asked for their help in getting it reset? Offer to provide photo identification immediately.

the other thing you can do is tell them this is a SECOND account that is using your name and email. FB doesn't allow you to have 2 accounts if they know about it.

as @Its Not Me also pointed out, you are violating FB's TOS by sharing an account, so ask them to close it based on that.
They may close your new one as well for violating policy. Just be aware of that. But you must push Facebook on getting the old account closed.

Mar 25, 2015
cali
here is one thing you can try (not sure if it will work) I have heard of people making 'fake babies' by taking lots of images from someone else's account.

is it possible to get the images flagged? play dumb and pretend you have no idea how/why this account exists (because I assume if you DM there would be no response): someone is illegally posting your images and you want them taken down. (would that work? maybe?)

Jan 29, 2018

This was my thought but they looked into it and said it didn't violate guidelines. The problem with making reports is that there is no room for comments. Either click box 1, 2, or 3. Submitting an id and comment can only be done if you don't have an account or an email linked to an account.