Expedia Wrong Name

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 3, 2017
I purchased a ticket for my mom on my Expedia account. I entered her information correctly. When the email confirmation was emailed to me I realized my last name was on the ticket but her first name and birth date was correct.

It's as though Expedia's site plugged in my travel information even after I switched it to new traveler. I've contacted them and they said a special agent will contact me in 24 hours. It's passed the time and I have yet to hear back.

I need her last name on the ticket. I wondering if I should wait one more day to hear back or just purchase new ticket. I need her to have the same ticket as my young brothers.

Jan 6, 2015
Did you contact them by phone or email? And was this contact within the first 24 hours after purchase?

Jan 6, 2015
Thank you. Unfortunately, you face an uphill battle, with the likelihood of success at near zero (my opinion). Changing the entire last name (vs. a misspelling) is viewed in the same way as transferring a ticket to someone else, and no airline will do that.

If you had done this within 24 hours, you may have been successful.

I wish I had better news, but I wish you success with the special agent.

May 3, 2017
Thank you. Unfortunately, you face an uphill battle, with the likelihood of success at near zero (my opinion). Changing the entire last name (vs. a misspelling) is viewed in the same way as transferring a ticket to someone else, and no airline will do that.

If you had done this within 24 hours, you may have been successful.

I wish I had better news, but I wish you success with the special agent.
That's what I was afraid of. I may just have to bite the bullet and just purchase a new ticket and book with an airline next time.

Thanks

Jan 6, 2015
That's what I was afraid of. I may just have to bite the bullet and just purchase a new ticket and book with an airline next time.

Thanks
I wish it were different - truly. FYI, Expedia has nothing to do with the name change. Within 24 hours of purchase a name change is easy. After that, well you've seen it firsthand ...

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
As my colleagues have said, this is why there is the 24 hour rule. You could have canceled it immediately a bought a new ticket.

And to top it because it's in your mothers name only she can change it.

Is the ticket more than $300? If it is more than the change fee is might be between canceling and getting a credit to use to rebook. At least everything you paid wouldn't be lost.

If it's less than the rebooking fee, it's cheaper to just buy a new ticket.

This is the third story on the same issue with the same problem- the confirmations weren't checked until after 24 hours passed in the last two days. Maybe be we need a post advising to check your confirmations immediately to ensure everything is correct so you can cancel and rebook if there are errors.

Mike Z

Verified Member
Jan 8, 2015
Since you said that you realized that the name was incorrect when the confirmation email was sent, how much time expired between the booking and when you contacted them about the issue? If you contacted them about the mistake within 24 hours and they didn't fix the issue then I would say it is on them and they need to be pressed on it. (one airline does not have the 24 hour rule however but will allow holds for 24 hours instead)

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2016
I'm going to echo what @Mike Z said. If you have the phone records to prove that you phoned Expedia within the 24 hours of booking the ticket, I believe you can call them back and tell them that they took your information and told you to sit tight and wait for them to return your phone call with information regarding your booking, so you trusted that they knew what they were doing, were going to handle it, and did just that, waited. Just because now it is past 24 hours doesn't let them off the hook when you clearly acted in good faith to get your situation addressed in the required amount of time.

Get your cell phone logs or your home phone logs to show that you made the call within the 24 hours, and how long you were on the call.

Then ask them how they are going to handle this without penalty to you.

If they push back, I would start writing the contacts we have here and be sure to include the screen shot of your call records.