Expedia nightmare! I thought I was dealing with Expedia Canada

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 10, 2018
I was searching and scouting for cheap package vacations since March to go to Thailand from Philippines. I called Expedia Canada and since we are big group I was given a number for Group Bookings and Package Bookings( I wasn’t aware it was US Expedia numbers) I kept the numbers since we are not ready to book yet.

So on May 25th we were ready to book our Thailand trip. I called the package booking number that Expedia gave me and talked to customer service representative. I told the CSR right away the hotel and the amount I saw on expedia website which is C$736 for round trip airfare(Manila-Phuket) hotel (The Charm Resort Phuket) and taxes. She worked right away on my bookings. She found the hotel and flight that I wanted. I also told the CSR that I want flights that included in the package and $0 so our price won’t increase. The CSR assured me that it’s included in the package but she needs to pick one way-one way.

In our 2 1/2 hours of phone conversations never once the CSR mentioned that she was quoting me in US $. I was quoted
$4,444.26 ( 6 travellers) $740.71/person
$4,357.30. ( 6 travellers) $726.21/person
$1,837.32. ( 3 travellers) $612.44/person
The last itinerary I was informed by the CSR that the price went down and I was ecstatic. I didn’t know that all these prices are in US dollars.

I received an email itinerary right away and breakdown of Prices Summary. I printed it right away and checked the names and amount. Nothing on the prices summary indicated “quoted in US $” or Canadian dollar. Unlike in booking online it will clearly quoted the currency. I agreed to all the amounts based on what I thought was in Canadian dollar. If I saw that it was quoted in US $ I could have called right away and cancel all the bookings.

I called Expedia as I noticed that the CSR put the 3 travellers on a different flight coming back and bought travel insurance without informing me. They said that I can cancel it anytime. At that point I was still not aware about the currency issue. I called Expedia everyday after the booking because I couldn’t figure out the amount on my credit card as it didn’t tally on my Expedia charges. I was informed by CSR that it was just all pending charges and it will disappear once the airline and the hotel takes their money. I called my credit card company and they told me the exact same thing.

On May 29th, all Expedia pending transaction was posted in our credit card bills and it came up to C$5,801. C$ $5,917.28 and C$2,445.76. I called Expedia right away and spoke with the manager. She was very helpful as I told her that based on the prices I saw our package should just come up to C$11,040 (15 travellers) so when I was given a quote of $10,638.88 I was so happy as I thought I made a great deal by booking a big group. Never did I know it was in US $ and the start of our nightmare. The Manager/supervisor told me that she cannot aunthorized a refund because of the amount but she can file a complaint. She said that the Corporate office has to decide.

So now, I am emailing back and forth with Expedia. They said that I called Expedia US therefore I should pay in US $. I told them that I am in Canada and was given numbers that I didn’t know was a US telephone numbers. It doesn’t make sense for me to book in US when I am in Canada and pay US dollars. I also emailed them the screen shots of the Package I saw on their website. I feel like I was given a Canadian price but used US currency. I asked the supervisor if they can tell me where did the CSR get the amounts of the package, and he couldn’t tell me. It will only make sense if they will charge me US$565 and that will be C$756 as shown in their website with our exact date, exact round trip flights, and exact hotels.

I received a call from Expedia customer care on May 30th informing me that they cannot refund me any money as I called US Expedia. I told him that for 2 1/2 hours not even once the CSR mentioned US dollars in the quotes. He said it’s not their job to say the currency and they listened to the phone conversation and their CSR didn’t do anything wrong. They said I agreed to all the charges. I told him I agreed with the notion of we are talking in Canadian Dollars.

I don’t know what else to do as I called and emailed Expedia already. Told them my story, they said they listened to the phone conversation and it’s not the CSR to inform me of the currency. They took responsibility of the wrong flight in the 3rd itinerary and the insurance bought by CSR but they won’t return the difference in amount of the said package. They basically telling me it’s my fault for calling US.

Is it really my fault for not checking the currency with the customer service rep? Am I out of luck here? What should I do?

Sep 19, 2015
When you saw the package on expedia’s website for C $756 that may be the lowest restricted package and maybe only one or two rooms available at that rate.

Can you post a copy of confirmation with all personal information blacked out?

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018
What does the written confirmation you received via email say? Can you post a copy of it here? In the US you have 24 hours to cancel with no fees.
Hi Neil,

My confirmation didn’t say any currency but the bookings are non refundable. If I saw that it was quoted in US dollars I could have called within minutes of receiving it.i called them after I printed the itineraries because one of the adults was listed as child. They fixed it right away and sent me another email but on that email it still say Child. I called again and they said in their system it says Adult so there should be any problem. They told me to call Expedia if there’s any issue upon checking in at the airport. Shall I trust them on that?

Jun 10, 2018
What number did you call in the first place, Expedia in Canada or in the US? Who gave a number for group bookings?
Hi Christina,

I always call Expedia.ca. and when I was still searching I make sure it says C$ on prices. Are they really not to say the currency when making transactions? I always book online and this was the first time I called in. I spent 2 1/2 hours talking and I thought I made a great deal in prices by calling in.

Jun 10, 2018
When you saw the package on expedia’s website for C $756 that may be the lowest restricted package and maybe only one or two rooms available at that rate.

Can you post a copy of confirmation with all personal information blacked out?
The representative didn’t mention anything about rooms and flights increased. She mentioned though that the package might increase while we are making the bookings. So at the end when she confirmed the amount I said I agreed because I thought we are talking in Canadian dollars.
When I received my credit card bill I saw just for the Airlines cost us C$663 per person. I called and they said that I agreed to one way- one way purchased. I told them that I agreed to get the flights that included in the package which should have been $0 when the CSR picked flights for us.

Jun 10, 2018
Expedia.com

Thank you for booking with Expedia!
All of your trip information is in your online itinerary:
Get live status information
Easy access to your latest trip information
Upgrade, change or cancel your booking
Go To My Itinerary

Access your itinerary anywhere.GET THE FREE APP
Phuket
Dec 18, 2018 - Dec 23, 2018 | Itinerary #

Because you booked a flight,
you qualify for up to 54% off Phuket hotels.
Expires Thu, June 14
See hotels

This email can be used as an E-Ticket.Itinerary
To get the most up-to-date version of your trip, go to your online itinerary and print a copy to take with you.
Important Information
We combined two one-way tickets to get you the best deal on this flight. If you need to make changes or cancel, you'll need to do it twice-once for each one-way ticket.
Remember to bring your itinerary and government-issued photo ID for airport check-in and security

Price Summary

Roundtrip Flight

Hotel
Total$4,444.26
Subtotal$4,028.26
Taxes & Fees$416.00

Manila (MNL) → Phuket (HKT)
Dec 18, 2018 - Dec 18, 2018 , 6 one way tickets

CONFIRMED
Expedia.com
Your reservation is booked and confirmed. There is no need to call us to reconfirm this reservation.

* Seat assignments, special meals, frequent flyer point awards and special assistance requests should be confirmed directly with the airline.
Dec 18, 2018 - Departure 1 stopTotal travel time: 10 h 5 m
Web Fare
custom air iconManilaKuala Lumpur3 h 55 m
MNL 6:40am
Terminal 1
KUL 10:35am
Terminal M

Malaysia Airlines 805
Economy / Coach (Q) | Confirm seats with the airline*
Layover: 4 h 45 m
Web Fare
custom air iconKuala LumpurPhuket1 h 25 m
KUL 3:20pm
Terminal M
HKT 3:45pm
Terminal I

Malaysia Airlines 794
Economy / Coach (Q) | Confirm seats with the airline*
Airline Rules & Regulations
We understand that sometimes plans change. We do not charge a cancel or change fee. When the airline charges such fees in accordance with its own policies, the cost will be passed on to you.
Tickets are nonrefundable, nontransferable and name changes are not allowed.
Please read the complete penalty rules for changes and cancellations Opens in a new window. applicable to this fare.
Please read important information regarding airline liability limitations Opens in a new window..

Additional Flight Services
The airline may charge additional fees Opens in a new window. for checked baggage or other optional services.
Phuket (HKT) → Manila (MNL)
Dec 23, 2018 - Dec 23, 2018 , 6 one way tickets

CONFIRMED
Expedia.com
Your reservation is booked and confirmed. There is no need to call us to reconfirm this reservation.
Traveler Information
* Seat assignments, special meals, frequent flyer point awards and special assistance requests should be confirmed directly with the airline.
Dec 23, 2018 - Departure 1 stopTotal travel time: 9 h 50 m
custom air iconPhuketKuala Lumpur1 h 30 m
HKT 10:30am
Terminal I
KUL 1:00pm
Terminal M

Malaysia Airlines 787
Economy / Coach (S) | Confirm seats with the airline*
Layover: 4 h 35 m
custom air iconKuala LumpurManila3 h 45 m
KUL 5:35pm
Terminal M
MNL 9:20pm
Terminal 1

Malaysia Airlines 804
Economy / Coach (S) | Confirm seats with the airline*
Airline Rules & Regulations
We understand that sometimes plans change. We do not charge a cancel or change fee. When the airline charges such fees in accordance with its own policies, the cost will be passed on to you.
Tickets are nonrefundable, nontransferable and name changes are not allowed.
Please read the complete penalty rules for changes and cancellations Opens in a new window. applicable to this fare.
Please read important information regarding airline liability limitations Opens in a new window..

Additional Flight Services
The airline may charge additional fees Opens in a new window. for checked baggage or other optional services.

The Charm Resort Phuket
Dec 18, 2018 - Dec 23, 2018 , 2 rooms | 5 nights
BOOKED
Your reservation is booked. No need to call us to reconfirm this reservation.

View hotel details
212 Thaweewong Road, Patong, Phuket, 83150 Thailand
Tel: 66 (76) 318300, Fax: 66 (76) 318342

Check-in

Check-in time starts at 2 PM
Minimum check-in age is 16
To make arrangements for check-in please contact the property ahead of time using the information on the booking confirmation.
24-hour airport shuttle service is available on request. Contact the property in advance to make arrangements.
Your room/unit will be guaranteed for late arrival.
Important Hotel Information

This reservation is non-refundable and cannot be canceled or changed.
View your online itinerary for additional rules and restrictions.
Room 1 Deluxe Room

Includes: Free Wireless Internet Breakfast Buffet

Reserved for
3 adults
Requests
1 double and 1 sofa bed, non-smoking room
Room 2 Deluxe Room

Includes: Free Wireless Internet Breakfast Buffet

Reserved for
2 adults , 1 child
Requests
1 double and 1 sofa bed, non-smoking room

Additional Hotel Services
The below fees and deposits only apply if they are not included in your selected room rate.

The price shown above DOES NOT include any applicable hotel service fees, charges for optional incidentals (such as minibar snacks or telephone calls), or regulatory surcharges. The hotel will assess these fees, charges, and surcharges upon check-out.
Complete Your Trip

Get rested
Add a Hotel
Get around
Add a Car Get out and explore
Add an activity

Find deals on rides to your Hotel
Get a Ride

Please do not reply to this message. This email was sent from a notification-only email address that cannot accept incoming email.

You are receiving this transactional email based on a recent booking or account-related update on Expedia.com .

Jun 10, 2018
You need to copy and paste the the info. But please remove and identifying information- confirmation number, your name, email address.
What phone number did you call?
Expedia gave me 2 numbers: Group booking : 1888- 505 0522 and Package booking: 1 800-5512534 . I wrote it on a piece of paper that I screen shot and sent it to them. The guy that emailed me said that they already made a decision on May 30th that they won’t give me my money back.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is a bizarre one. The Customer support number on the Canadian website is 1-800-489-9154.

Those two one way flights are a red flag too. It may reduce the cost for you but can also create issues.

I would suggest you go to our Company Contacts Page and read about the process of writing to companies. Then use the Expedia contacts and start at the bottom and move your way up one by one to the Executives. I think you are going to need the Executives at Expedia. Save all correspondance.

The confirmation clearly shows US $. You didn’t use a US based credit card did you? I’m trying to think of every possible angle here.

Did you call them immediately when you saw the the booking didn’t say CA in the payment field? Have you booked before through Expedia and seen the cost as Canadian dollars?

Regardless of what they say, if this was booked through the US site, the US requires that an airline give you 24 hours to cancel a ticket when you book directly. But travel agencies aren’t required to do so.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Expedia is well known for doing two one way tickets to get the cheapest prices which creates a big issue if you have to cancel a trip because you’ll incur cancellation fees twice, one for each ticket.

This is what they say:

Expedia may offer you the opportunity to book a reservation for a combination of two one—way tickets instead of a roundtrip ticket. Combined one-way tickets may provide a greater choice of flights, are often cheaper and can be combined on the same airline or on different airlines. Unlike roundtrip tickets, each one-way ticket is subject to its own rules, restrictions, and fees. If one of these flights is affected by an airline change (e.g. cancellation or rescheduling) that causes a Customer to make changes to the other flight, the Customer will be responsible for any fees incurred for making changes to the unaffected flight.

Did you by any chance use a currency converter on the site?

Jun 10, 2018
I did not book through Expedia site, I called the number given to me and talked to customer service representative. On the confirmation email receipt they sent me, it didn’t say “quoted in US dollars” it just has a $ sign.

Jun 10, 2018
Expedia is well known for doing two one way tickets to get the cheapest prices which creates a big issue if you have to cancel a trip because you’ll incur cancellation fees twice, one for each ticket.

This is what they say:

Expedia may offer you the opportunity to book a reservation for a combination of two one—way tickets instead of a roundtrip ticket. Combined one-way tickets may provide a greater choice of flights, are often cheaper and can be combined on the same airline or on different airlines. Unlike roundtrip tickets, each one-way ticket is subject to its own rules, restrictions, and fees. If one of these flights is affected by an airline change (e.g. cancellation or rescheduling) that causes a Customer to make changes to the other flight, the Customer will be responsible for any fees incurred for making changes to the unaffected flight.

Did you by any chance use a currency converter on the site?
I looked at the site and saw the package that we can afford. I called the number for package bookings and talked to customer service rep. No, I didn’t use any converter because I thought I was dealing with Expedia Canada and the prices were all in Canadian dollars.
I don’t have American credit cards. It’s all Canadian. I even told the CSR that I have to use 3 credit cards because my limit is C$5000 and only one transaction will go. She said it’s not a problem. My address is also in Canada so I was really puzzled when I was giving my information never even once she mentioned that I was talking to Expedia US.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Expedia.ca outsources their group vacation packages to a US company cruiseshipcenters.com.

And this is probably what the problem is and I think you definitely have a valid complaint.

When you write, clearly state that at no time did the rep tell you they were charging US dollars since you were led there from the CA site.

Start writing to them and let us know what the responses are so we can help you with your response as you move up the chain.

Jun 10, 2018
And this is probably what the problem is and I think you definitely have a valid complaint.

When you write, clearly state that at no time did the rep tell you they were charging US dollars since you were led there from the CA site.

Start writing to them and let us know what the responses are so we can help you with your response as you move up the chain.
This is frustrating as it took us long time to saved money to have a family vacation and this mistake cost us C$3000. I will definitely email Expedia again and keep you guys posted. Thanks for all your help.

Sep 19, 2015
I see the text says expedia.com and not expedia.ca. Expedia.com is the USA site.

As mentioned, all Expedia group bookings are outsourced to affiliates Expedia cruiseshipcenters but they have offices in Canada and the US.

I can see how this would be confusing