Expedia confirmed the cancellation of my hotels and one day later I heard my hotel cancellation was denied.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 6, 2018
My husband booked family trip to Dominion Republic for July 16-20 with Expedia on sunday June 3, 2018 . flight and 4 nights hotel at Meliá Caribe Tropical - All Inclusive(family of 4 and family of 5). Two hours later I realized he booked wrong date. We suppose to go for July 23- July 27. I called Expedia for cancellation of both. Flight was canceled right away. The representative told me they need to call Hotel at working hours which is June 4th 9am to 5pm because the person who can sign the waiver was not there. i called on June 4th to follow up. Representative told me both reservation waiver has been signed so the hotels is canceled. I got a confirmation number from them however I was told i will get confirmation email within 24 to 48 hours. We went ahead to book for the correct week. However we did not get anything for the confirmation and called to follow up. Expedia told me the hotel denied our cancellation request. So now we have booked for 8 nights and We called the hotel and they said they can only talk to Expedia and they have not been contacted for this issue. I can provide all case number and confirmation number.

Thanks for looking into this.
Wen

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you book a nonrefundable rate? Expedia will cancel but that doesn’t mean you will get your money back. If you booked a nonrefundable rate- the hotel doesn’t have to give you your money back.

What does your confirmation say about cancellations? It doesn’t matter if you booked the wrong date- nonrefundable is nonrefundable.

If your confirmation says that you could cancel up to a certain date and get a refund- that’s a different story and we can help.

Jun 6, 2018
Yes it is nonrefundable. however Expedia told me they will talk to the hotel to get waiver. And I confirmed with them that they got a waiver from hotel and my hotels reservations are canceled. That is why I went ahead to book another reservation. However The confirmation is only a number. The representative told me that I will get an email regarding the cancellation within 24 or 48 hours. We donot want to delay the trip booking so we went ahead to book with Orbitz with same hotel for the following week.

Jun 6, 2018
I guess my point is if they told me they cannot cancel it. i wont go ahead to book my hotel. We have 9 people for this trip. Worse scenerio is i donot go. At least other 8 can go. But now we are booked for 2 rooms for 8 nights.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We have company contacts on top of our pages. Read the main page on how to write and then start with the first Executive.

Are you sure you didn’t misunderstand whetbthry told you because their own terms state of its nonrefundable, they will request a refund but may not get it.

From their terms:

If you cancel a non-refundable hotel booking, or cancel your booking after the hotel's cancellation deadline, you are not eligible for a refund, regardless of payment method used (points or card).

This might help, we’ve seen this countless times here. A few have had luck, some haven’t.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chic...eshooter-expedia-0822-20170816-story,amp.html

Make it clear that you wouldn’t have canceled if the agent you spoke to told you you wouldn’t have received a refund.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
How awful. But not surprising. The online booking services are pretty useless when it comes to customer service. They really don't care and won't do much until they're prodded. They deal with millions of transactions every day and have few staff to deal with problems, and little interest in helping.

If you have Expedia's cancellation in writing, I think you have a very good chance of forcing them to deal with you properly. We usually advise putting everything in writing, but you don't have a whole lot of time. Use our Company Contacts to write a concise, polite email asking for assistance. It's unfortunate that you turned around and booked the correct dates with a different internet booker. Since you have the original dates cancelled by Expedia, even if they won't help you, you can dispute the charge on your credit card because you have PROOF. It will just take a great deal of time and be quite frustrating, but I think you'll prevail.

Bottom line, you're right ... who would rebook the same package for another set of dates if they hadn't cancelled the first booking? Because so many people are booking on the internet and not booking correctly, it might make sense to have a 24-hour period after every booking for people to double-check what they booked.

Jun 6, 2018
Thanks for all the comments. I have an updates now. We contacted the hotel and they have it in writing that they agree to cancel our wrong booking. Now the problem with Expedia is they said they cannot receive the hotel confirmation email. We forwarded that email to them, they cannot receive our email neither. And they sent us another email saying our refund request has been denied.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thanks for all the comments. I have an updates now. We contacted the hotel and they have it in writing that they agree to cancel our wrong booking. Now the problem with Expedia is they said they cannot receive the hotel confirmation email. We forwarded that email to them, they cannot receive our email neither. And they sent us another email saying our refund request has been denied.
You need to start going up the executive chain at Expedia. This is ridiculous, they can’t get your email. How are they telling you this- via email? Tell them you will fax it if you have to.

Jun 6, 2018
You need to start going up the executive chain at Expedia. This is ridiculous, they can’t get your email. How are they telling you this- via email? Tell them you will fax it if you have to.
Thanks Neil!. Yes it is ridiculous. I have my brother in law email them as well. They said on phone they did not receive any of the emails. I am drafting an email now.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Thanks Neil!. Yes it is ridiculous. I have my brother in law email them as well. They said on phone they did not receive any of the emails. I am drafting an email now.
Fufu, at the end of your email, ask Expedia to confirm that they received it. If they don't do this within 3 hours, send it again ... and again. They just can't treat people this way.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Your email may have an option to "request a Read Receipt." Look in your settings. This will PROVE that Expedia received and opened your emails.

Oct 10, 2016
Huntley, IL
Don't send an email. It is easy for them to say they did not receive it. Write a letter and sent it via snail mail. Take it to the post office and sent it "return receipt requested". That way, they cannot say they did not receive it, as it has to be signed upon receipt.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Don't send an email. It is easy for them to say they did not receive it. Write a letter and sent it via snail mail. Take it to the post office and sent it "return receipt requested". That way, they cannot say they did not receive it, as it has to be signed upon receipt.
That’s not the way we suggest working on this site. We encourage emails so there is a written trail in the event our writers take on the company.

Michelle Friedman

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Sep 19, 2015
More and more companies don't even accept snail mail from customers. We often hear from consumers whose letters were sent back "return to sender" after they tried to do as you suggest, @SKroot. And Neil is correct. If our advocacy team decides to take a case we need to see the paper trail between the company and the consumer.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
More and more companies don't even accept snail mail from customers. We often hear from consumers whose letters were sent back "return to sender" after they tried to do as you suggest, @SKroot. And Neil is correct. If our advocacy team decides to take a case we need to see the paper trail between the company and the consumer.
Michelle, that is just chilling information. I would hope that an organization could compile and publish a list of companies who refuse to communicate with their customers. What a horrid way to do business.

Michelle Friedman

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Sep 19, 2015
@jsn55 I don't mean to imply these companies refuse to communicate with their customers. Snail mail is slow and is not the preferred method of communication for most organizations. In fact, Elliott Advocacy doesn't accept snail mail. It's not efficient. Problems can be resolved much quicker via email -- and you don't have to waste any paper. Save a tree! :p
If a consumer wants their problem solved as quickly as possible then electronic communication is the way to do it.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
@jsn55 I don't mean to imply these companies refuse to communicate with their customers. Snail mail is slow and is not the preferred method of communication for most organizations. In fact, Elliott Advocacy doesn't accept snail mail. It's not efficient. Problems can be resolved much quicker via email -- and you don't have to waste any paper. Save a tree! :p
If a consumer wants their problem solved as quickly as possible then electronic communication is the way to do it.
Well, that's a relief. I couldn't agree more with all the above. I missed the word "snail" in your post. Even if people don't use a computer, it's not difficult for them to find someone who will help them send an email. Thanks for this.