1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

EVA Air not letting me correct my name on plane ticket to the Philippines

Discussion in 'Airlines' started by Al Bartelt, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Al Bartelt

So, I am going on a habitat for Humanity trip to the Philippines at the end of December, marking the first time I have ever traveled outside of the U.S. After signing up for this Habitat build back in August, I went down to the post office and registered for my passport. Upon receiving my passport in September, I proceeded to book my flights for the trip. After doing some searching around with a friend of mine, we decided to book through Cheapoair. I ended up booking my round trip flights with EVA Air for $1,280. Up to this point everything seemed to be running like a well oiled machine.

During the first week of November all team members had to send our flight information to our Habitat team leader. When I logged on to retrieve my flight info, I noticed red lettering on the Cheapoair page that read somewhere along the lines of, "Make sure the name written on your plane ticket matches exactly with what is written on your passport. If the two do not match, call this number xxx-xxx-xxxx." This is when I realized that my name on my plane ticket read Alex B Bartelt rather than my full name that was written on my passport reading Alexander Bryan Bartelt. So, I called the number.

The number led me to a man who worked for Cheapoair, and I explained my situation to him. He then put me on hold while he contacted EVA Air. A few minutes later he gets back on the line to explain my options. He told me that the representative from EVA Air says that I could only change up to two letters in my name. So this left me with one option, to cancel my ticket and buy a new one with the correct name spelled out. After listening to the Cheapoair rep reassure me several times that this was my only option, I went through with it.

I was refunded $816 of the $1,280 I paid for the original ticket, and then the Cheapoair rep walked me through getting a new ticket. The new ticket we ended up finding flew out one day later and cost $1,380. So all in all I am out over $600 dollars for spelling my name incorrectly on the original ticket, which I believe happened from my computer auto-filling my information on the Cheapoair page. I understand this mistake is on me, it is just hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that I wasn't trying to transfer the ticket over to a different person, but rather just correct my own name to match my passport.

I am wondering if you have ever seen a situation like this and if there is anything that can be done to recoup more of the losses from the original plane ticket. I appreciate your time and consideration and look forward to any insight you may have.

2. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Yes unfortunately this happens all the time. You must buy the ticket exactly as the name on your passport reads. I am not certain how your name could be auto filled on a ticket- it’s what you entered in the system

You have 24 hours from the time you buy your ticket to make a name change at no charge. If you don’t- you have to cancel the original ticket, pay a cancellation fee and then rebook at the current price of a ticket.

Wish I had better news for you but when you buy your own ticket you act as your own travel agent and you are responsible for knowing the rules. This is airfare 101- the ticket must read EXACTLY how your passport reads.

3. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

Go back and search your email for the emailed confirmation that cheapo air sent you. if it happens to state your full name, then you can take that back to cheapo air and let them know that they changed how your name appeared, and you would like a refund.

It may be worth it to write cheapo air and EVA (separately) admit your ignorance, acknowledge the lesson and ask for a refund or a flight voucher.

jsn55, Just A Guy, Patina and 2 others like this.
  4. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

This baloney about not being able to 'fix' an error in your name is raising millions for the airlines. It's just another facet of their business model - never mind the customer, just show me the money. Had you booked directly with the airline, you may have been able to correct your name, but using an online booking agent puts you way down on the importance list when it comes to fixing problems. I'm so sorry this happened to someone who is spending his hard-earned money on helping others.