European car rental upper age limits

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 21, 2021
How can I find out with certainty if a car rental agency in Europe has an upper age limit? We were going to England in may of 2020; obviously we didn’t go. The trip required renting a car and I did through Hertz at Heathrow. Their local website had no info on an upper age limit so we probably would have been ok. I would have been 70 at that time. We are going to try again but now probably not until 2023 when I’ll be 73. I’d like to know if there is any way to know for sure about upper age limits; I’d like to make future trips and drive on them but I’m thinking sooner or later they aren’t going to want an aging tourist on their roads. Thank you for any information you might have

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
Here is a link that provides a country-by-country list: Car Rental Age Limits in Europe

More specifically, see this link: How Old Is Too Old to Rent a Car?

where it states:

Seniors can often evade these restrictions by shopping around, as terms and conditions vary widely from company to company.

Hertz, which permits renters over 75 as long as they’re willing to jump through a few hoops. “Customers aged over 75 can rent with specific conditions,” says a pop-up on the Hertz Web site. “You must drive on a regular basis, you will need to provide to the counter a letter from your doctor to state you have been in good health for at least 12 months and a letter from your insurance company to state you have not had an accident within the last 5 years, that you hold a current policy of motor insurance with them and that you are currently driving.
Thus is seems that you will be fine in 2023 . . .

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
How can I find out with certainty if a car rental agency in Europe has an upper age limit? We were going to England in may of 2020; obviously we didn’t go. The trip required renting a car and I did through Hertz at Heathrow. Their local website had no info on an upper age limit so we probably would have been ok. I would have been 70 at that time. We are going to try again but now probably not until 2023 when I’ll be 73. I’d like to know if there is any way to know for sure about upper age limits; I’d like to make future trips and drive on them but I’m thinking sooner or later they aren’t going to want an aging tourist on their roads. Thank you for any information you might have
The answer depends on where you are renting and the rental agency itself. You will need to contact the specific location where you will be renting. If you wish to rent from Hertz in Heathrow you should contact them directly. Hertz corporate would not answer the question when I queried them directly.

You cannot depend on website articles to be sure. As an example, in Fr Polynesia in 2018, I was able to rent a car from Hertz in Papeete, Tahiti at age 72, but not from another agency on Bora-Bora on the same trip. Bora-Bora had an age 70 cut-off.

Reactions: Neil Maley

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
Alas he caught Covid last year and did not survive. But he was 96 or 97 at the time , so at least he had a very good run.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: jsn55