1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Europcar Italy claimed a damage that did not exist

Discussion in 'Car rentals' started by Michael D., Feb 15, 2017.

1. Michael D.

On Aug 28, 2016, we rented a car from Europcar in Milan. We returned it on Sept 6th and the agent pointed to a small scratch on the front right, claiming it wasn't there before. I disputed the charge immediately and was told an inquiry would happen. A few months later they apologized for the delay but concluded we were responsible and charged us $398.59. I disputed the charge again and was sent pictures of damage to the car, at a different location, this time at the top of the bumper, on the left side. In addition to following up on my complaint, I went on your web sire and contacted both the primary and secondary contact you listed. I got an automated message that the second one was no longer there. The first one never responded, even after several messages. I also posted a message on Twitter, got a response asking me to Tweet them directly, then nothing.

2. ribalda

I know that now it is too late, but the next time you rent a car in Italy make sure to have a secondary insurance for the car from a third company.

We use a yearly travel insurance that covers health, rental franchise, ski incidents.... Peace of mind for the same money that we would have payed for the full rental car insurance.

Regarding twitter. A couple of companies use the trick of being super polite in public and ask to follow up in private, where they are not polite at all. When that happens I post their private response in public as an image.

3. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Did you purchase their insurance? Did you take pictures of the car at pick up and return? Without that, it is hard to prove that the damage was not there when you picked it up and dropped it off.

Does the credit card you used have any car rental insurance as a benefit?

JVillegirl541 likes this.
  4. Mike Z

Staff Member Advocate

The rental company appears to be acting very dishonest here. First claiming damage in one spot then claiming damage in another later on. I would use that to your advantage as they can't even decide what damage you supposedly caused.

5. Michael D.

6. Michael D.

HI Ribalda,

Thanks for the recommendation, I will post their Twitter response publicly, good idea!

Michael

7. Michael D.

8. Michael D.

Hello Neil,

Thanks for your response! Unfortunately, we were in a rush and didn't take pictures of the car. There was almost nothing visible, then a month later they hit us with pictures of another part of the car... I will check with my credit card, but find Europcar's attitude really appalling!

Michael

9. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Since they gave you information on a spot on the car that wasn't where the employee pointed out damage, I think you should use our thread on fighting this:

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.1514/

We have company contacts at EuropCar in our company contact car rental list above. Use this thread and write a letter to whoever contacted you, and ask for exactly what we tell you to ask for. Tell them that the damage they sent pictures of is not what the employee pointed out when you returned the car, thus proving that the damage they are claiming is NOT the damage they state you caused.

You want the rental agreements (which they will tell you they can't give you) and also want documentation of the odometer reading for the damages they show. Then compare the odometer reading to your copy of the rental form when you returned the car.

If they don't give up after your first letter to them, then you start writing to the executives at EuropeCar we have on our contact list.

10. Michael D.

----------------------
    Dear Neil,

Thank you for your response, we have done all the above to no avail. The Execs listed on your site never bothered to respond.

Michael

11. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Go to the forums, click on the help tab and re-input the info, saying you followed all fhe steps and have not heard from anyone. The writers will take a look at it and see if they think they can help.