EU Flight Delay Compensation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 18, 2016
On June 6, 2016, we were booked on SAS flight number SK901 from Copenhagen Denmark to Newark New Jersey scheduled to leave at 6:35PM and arrive at 9:05PM local times. Because of “technical problems” the flight was delayed and did not arrive in Newark until approximately 12:35AM local time June 7, 2016.

At time of check-in Copenhagen we were instructed to file a claim for compensation per EU Regulation 261/2004, which we did. Eventually we heard from SAS airlines and we were offered compensation of 300 Euro per passenger (there are four of us).

Upon reading this regulation, which we find a bit confusing, we feel we should have received compensation in the amount of 600 Euros because the flight arrived more than three (3) hours late from an EU country and was more than 3,500 Km in distance.

I would appreciate knowing if the 300 Euros offered by SAS is the correct amount or if not what the compensation should have been?

Thank you for your time and assistance with this matter. We look forward to hearing from you.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@Jacob Fleischman From everything I can find, €300 is not an EU261 mandated amount for a delay. EU261 lays out amounts of €250, €400 & €600 depending on the distance of the flight. In your case, the flight was longer than 3500 KM so you should qualify for the last amount.

EDIT: @Jacob Fleischman I just found found a few articles from law firms that say €300 is the correct amount on your flight if you arrived more than 3 but less than 4 hours late.

Here's a website I found that lays it out https://www.airhelp.com/en/know-your-rights

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2015
I have to say this - EC261 issues are so many and there is way to use a service to collect it.
Why clutter this forum on more about EC261. Just use one of those collection agencies. They are better than us at doing this.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
I have to say this - EC261 issues are so many and there is way to use a service to collect it.
Why clutter this forum on more about EC261. Just use one of those collection agencies. They are better than us at doing this.
The purpose of this forum is to assist and advise folks with their cases.

In this case, the airline is offering the compensation and the OP is just asking if it is the appropriate amount given his circumstances.

Jul 18, 2016
@Jacob Fleischman From everything I can find, €300 is not an EU261 mandated amount for a delay. EU261 lays out amounts of €250, €400 & €600 depending on the distance of the flight. In your case, the flight was longer than 3500 KM so you should qualify for the last amount.

EDIT: @Jacob Fleischman I just found found a few articles from law firms that say €300 is the correct amount on your flight if you arrived more than 3 but less than 4 hours late.

Here's a website I found that lays it out https://www.airhelp.com/en/know-your-rights
Thank you for the feedback

Jul 18, 2016
On June 6, 2016, we were booked on SAS flight number SK901 from Copenhagen Denmark to Newark New Jersey scheduled to leave at 6:35PM and arrive at 9:05PM local times. Because of “technical problems” the flight was delayed and did not arrive in Newark until approximately 12:35AM local time June 7, 2016.

At time of check-in Copenhagen we were instructed to file a claim for compensation per EU Regulation 261/2004, which we did. Eventually we heard from SAS airlines and we were offered compensation of 300 Euro per passenger (there are four of us).

Upon reading this regulation, which we find a bit confusing, we feel we should have received compensation in the amount of 600 Euros because the flight arrived more than three (3) hours late from an EU country and was more than 3,500 Km in distance.

I would appreciate knowing if the 300 Euros offered by SAS is the correct amount or if not what the compensation should have been?

Thank you for your time and assistance with this matter. We look forward to
hearing from you.
Thank you for the feedback