1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

ERAC Damage Dispute

Discussion in 'Ent/Nat/Alamo' started by Matthew D, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Matthew D

So I was seeking guidance earlier this year regarding a damage dispute on this forum. I finally heard back from ERAC, after months of no communication. They were able to reduce the bill to $1300 (down from $1900+). They acknowledged some of the damage could have been preexisting, despite being adamant previously that it was not. I asked for an itemized quote, and they keep telling me they don't have one. They seem a little pushy, as if they expect me to just pay up and not ask any questions. Given that they already tried to screw me out of more money than was necessary on one occasion, I have no doubt in my mind they would try and swindle me again. Is it unreasonable to ask them for an itemized quote?

2. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Absolutely not. You are entitled to it.

jsn55 and Mel65 like this.
  3. Matthew D

So do I keep pressing them on it until they give it to me? What course of action should I take at this point?

4. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

I assume you actually did the damage?

If so, you let them know that you are happy to entertain the amount they want to settle the dispute but you will first need to see an itemized copy of the repair bill (or estimate).

FWIW if they send you one and it doesn't detail the vehicle, etc, I would push back asking why not.

Remember, always be accommodating and helpful in your correspondence You want to give the appearance that you are taking them seriously and only trying to verify information that you are entitled to verify.

Patina and Neil like this.
  5. Matthew D

Yes, I did cause damage. Initially, I really wanted to fight them on it, because when I first took possession of the car, I pointed out that it had horrendous rearward visibility and specifically asked for permission to use a wide angle mirror. Also of note, the reason I was in a rental was because my car was totaled the preceding day, and as a result was extremely sore and unable to turn around to see out the back.

Needless to say, they declined to allow use of a wide angle mirror. Nonetheless, I was responsible for returning it in the same condition as when I took possession of it so that's neither here nor there. I will continue pushing them for a copy of the updated estimate

6. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Couldn't you have asked for a different car to rent?

7. Matthew D

I could have, but it would've been the same with any other car on the lot. Government regulations require all new vehicles (since circa 2006) to be able to remain structurally sound in the event of a rollover accident, which requires larger pillars, hence why blind spots are far more prevalent in modern automobiles.

I'm not going to pin that against them, although I think they could've been a little more accommodating

8. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

That is fine and dandy and you can't use that against them - the car manufacturer wouldn't be allowed to sell the car if it wasn't structurally sound. What kind of car was it?

If you were concerned about the visibility when you got into the car you should have asked for a different car model. I would never accept a car I didn't feel comfortable driving.

9. Matthew D

I presume carmamervwouldnt means car manufacturer?

Again, all modern cars sold in the U.S. have poor rearward visibility because of rollover test regulations. As I had said, I'm not blaming that on them nor, do I think I have any recourse. The VW Jetta rental I had would've been no different than other vehicle on the lot. The only way the poor visibility could have been overcome was through use of a wide angle mirror

10. Matthew D

I just got this response from the Damage Recovery Unit:
    ---------------------------
    Good Morning,

There will not be an updated estimate as the repair was the same amount. We have sent letters to you for the updated balance. Unfortunately, there is nothing else we are able to send you for an updated estimate. If this goes unpaid, it will be forwarded to our collections agency.

Thank you,
    ---------------------------

Do I keep pushing for the requested information, or ask to supervisor?

11. Mel65

Respond that you are not asking for an updated estimate, but rather validation of the information in the estimate they've already provided, as well as clarification around if you had their insurance it not, since that was the basis of your Visa declining to cover, yes? Reiterate that you DO take responsibility for the damage, but that you need the information for the claim. Also, they already charged the card so you already paid, right? So what will go to collections?

jsn55 and Neil like this.
  12. Matthew D

It has not been paid yet. My insurance refused to cover it since I was working when the incident occurred, so it is coming out of pocket. I just want to make sure they aren't charging me for anything over and above, especially since they have already done so once. I need to see that the $50 deposit is reflected as well. $1300 just seems really steep for a trunk lid.

13. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

Reply to them and tell them that you are continuing to try to work with them in good faith and feel that you are close to resolving this matter for good, but that you need to see the itemized repair bill such that you are positive that all discounts and credits have been applied and such that you can verify the actual cost for the repair and any extraneous charges that they are applying.

the follow up that statement and tell them if they decide to report this situation to a credit reporting bureau they are required to report my dispute, in regards to paying the claim without an itemized receipt for the charges that I am being billed. inform them that failure to report this information can result in legal action for defamation.

Close the letter out by, once again, reminding them that you have worked in good faith to get the situation resolved and hope that they will work in good faith to get your request fulfilled so you both can close the matter out.

If that doesn't work, then move up the chain of executives. it's ridiculous that they wont provide an itemized bill so you can ensure that all items have been applied/resolved.

When you pay, pay them by check and write "final payment claim 123466"

14. Matthew D

Very informative! Thank You. Out of coursity, is there any significance behind the number "123466"?

15. Carrie Livingston

Staff Member Advocate

Should've been 123456 so you would insert whatever the claim number is. Hope this helps!

Matthew D likes this.
  16. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

lol, no. Just a random number my fingers selected on the keyboard :)

DO make sure you let them know that you ARE looking to settle this once and for all, that you are happy to settle, that all you just need is an itemized receipt for the charges so you can ensure that all credits have been applied. Its is KEY that you make it apparent in writing that you are willing to settle and finalize the claim. that way, if they stonewall you on itemization, and you stonewall them back, they cant run to a collections agency with the claim that you refuse to pay.

Matthew D likes this.
  17. Matthew D

Another response from ERAC:
    -------------------------------------------
    Good Morning,

We have sent the itemized estimate to you. We are not able to send an itemized estimate for the amount agreed to settle the claim for because it is a settlement amount. Enterprise still paid the estimate amount provided to repair the vehicle. Unfortunately, we do not have anything additional to provide to you. We have sent letters to you for the updated balance, and that is all we can send as this is an agreed settlement out, not a change of the estimate. There is no additional estimate or invoice that we can provide because this was the amount agreed to settle the claim for. We will need the payment remitted as soon as possible, or this will be forwarded to our collections agency. Again, I am unable to provide any additional documentation because this was a settled amount, not a change of estimate.

Thank you,
    -------------------------------------------

Should I ask for a supervisor? This is getting ridiculous!

18. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

I would, email the supervisor and if the supervisor is no help, email the executives

19. Matthew D

NOW we're talking:
    ------------------------------------
    Mr. Dagostino,

I received notice from Ashley to contact you regarding the above mentioned claim. I have reviewed the claim and your request. At this time I have sent a request back to the local group to confirm what line items were removed from the estimate so I can get you an updated estimate. I reviewed the claim and based on your concerns I have an idea of what was removed but I want to confirm prior to sending you a revised estimate. I am just waiting to get confirmation from the group so I can work on getting you an updated estimate.

Thank you,
    ------------------------------------

Thanks guys for the help. I've finally gained some traction in this case

sas80 and Carrie Livingston like this.
  20. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

If you don't hear anything within a week, email back.