1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Enterprise Rental Nightmare

Discussion in 'Car rentals' started by JLS65, Dec 6, 2017.

1. JLS65

First of all, posting on forums is completely new to me so if I am posting incorrectly or violating any forum rules, I sincerely apologize.
    I rented a vehicle from Enterprise in July of 2017 and one month after turning the vehicle in, I received an email stating there was “hail damage” to the vehicle and that I am responsible for damages in the amount of $1075. I absolutely did not cause any damage to this vehicle in any way. I rent vehicles often and have never experienced anything like this before. I followed advice found on this forum and emailed Enterprise asking for time stamped photos, the 2 prior clients rental agreements (with names blacked out) and any rental agreements after mine. They completely ignored this request and went on to file a claim with my personal auto insurance. That is where we stand now. I am completely blown away that this can actually happen to a consumer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Please note: the vehicle had several dents and dings which were noted on my rental agreement. When I turned the vehicle in, the office was closed so no agent was there to do a walk around with me.

2. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Have you escalated this to the Enterprise executive company contacts we have? You want to get out of the local office and deal with corporate.

It would be very hard to say that there was hail damage is there was no hail storm where you were during the time you had the car. Can you find the weather reports for those days to show that there was no storm?

JLS65 likes this.
  3. JLS65

Thanks, Neil. I could not get my response to go thru as a reply to you. So i am responding here. Sorry. Totally new at this. Anyway, I rented the vehicle in Belleview, NE and returned it in Kansas City, MO so wasn't sure if it would be easy to prove exactly where I traveled between the pick up and return dates. But I can certainly try to find weather for those areas during the time I had the vehicle. I also have not escalated to the executive contacts, but will look into that now. Thank you!

4. Globetrottingal

Hail, in July? Was this an overseas rental from Australia or something?
    Did you take photos of the dents and dings when you picked up the car?
    I agree with Neil, get the recorded weather for your location, showing no hail, get your photos,, if you have them, and email directly to corporate. This forum recommends staying off the phone as you will not have a way of proving your conversation or any promises they make to you.

JLS65 likes this.
  5. cp556

cp556 Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

@Neil is (as usual) correct:) Remember also to keep everything in writing between you, Enterprise and your insurance company.

Have you spoken to your insurance company to tell them you deny the hail damage claim?

Just as an exercise I searched "past weather particular location" and was amazed at this NOAA site. I think you'll need to get zip codes of where you traveled (looks like your route was ~175 miles so that might be somewhat simple).

Since the office was closed when you returned the vehicle, check especially the weather for that location for the few hours past your return date/time.

https://www.climate.gov/maps-data/dataset/past-weather-zip-code-data-table

Please keep us posted...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Carrie Livingston, Neil and JLS65 like this.
  6. JLS65

LOL exactly! Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos. I am gonna follow every bit of advice you guys offer though! I won't back down :-D

7. JLS65

Yes I did speak with my insurance company and made it clear that I deny this claim 100% Thank you so much for the link! You guys are great!

Neil likes this.
  8. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

if it didn't hail during your rental period, send that info over and tell them to get off your back.

JLS65 likes this.
  9. JLS65

Well I have great news. I followed @Neil’s advice and emailed the first name on the list of executives. Within an hour, I received a call. After explaining the situation, I was informed that the claim is being dismissed!!! I cannot express how grateful I am to you @Neil...and to everyone else for the top notch advice. You guys are awesome.

10. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

did you take down the name of the person calling and the date and time of the call and what was said? If not, do that asap and take a pic of your cell phone call log to show you received the call.

what you really want is a follow up email from that person stating exactly what was discussed

JLS65 likes this.
  11. JLS65

We did take down her name, and after reading your response we called to request a follow up email....and took screenshots of the calls, etc.

sas80 likes this.
  12. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

This has to be an all time fast response. Make sure they send it in writing. Glad we could be of help.

cp556 likes this.
  13. JLS65

Yes, I was in disbelief that someone actually called me...and so quickly. We are working on making sure we have everything in writing now. And are taking screenshots of everything. Thanks again. This is a load off my mind for sure.

Neil likes this.
  14. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

In the future- take pictures at pick up and drop off when renting a car. Then they can’t do this again.

sas80 and JLS65 like this.
  15. JLS65

Oh yes, I have learned a big lesson from this experience. I’ll definitely take photos every time I rent in the future.

16. cp556

cp556 Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

@JLS65 - I'm so happy for the positive response you received! I agree that having it in writing would be the best outcome, but having the name of the person who made the promise is comforting.

I'm glad that Enterprise did the right thing in your case. Congratulations!

jsn55, JLS65 and Neil like this.
  17. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

JLS, I am very happy this got solved so quickly. Just so you are aware, rental car companies are raising hundreds of thousands of dollars billing customers for bogus damage claims. I guess they looked at the airlines and decided they too could abuse their customers and make big money doing it. What gives me the chills is how many people are just paying these kinds of claims without a fight. So sad.

18. JLS65

Yes it really is unbelievable. Happy they did the right thing in my case, but it did cause a lot of stress in the process. It's unfortunate that some people think they have no choice and just pay for the damages. You are right. It's very sad.

19. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I’m glad you found us so you could get it dropped.

JLS65 likes this.