1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Enterprise Honolulu- Questionable Practices

Discussion in 'Ent/Nat/Alamo' started by Sara_j, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Sara_j

IMG_3477.JPG IMG_3517.JPG It seems I have also been duped by enterprise. I was on my USAF reserve duty and had rented a car from enterprise at the Honolulu airport. The employee who rented me the car first had me inspect one car before deciding a different car would be a better fit and taking me to that car. After I got to the car, I was feeling extremely sick- which I told the employee- because of waiting in the sun for this process to occur. After forcefully pushing their extra insurances on me (I rejected because I rented through USAA which led me to believe that enterprise is supposed to waive their extra fees in the case of an accident-more on this below), I finally got into the car and left.

When I returned the car, I was greeted with a question of whether I had purchased the extra insurance. Then, an employee poured over every inch and declared there was a large dent in the back upper left of the trunk. He then took me inside and told me I had to sign a damage form, but i could work through it all with my insurance company and refute later or write anything I wanted on the form. He told me that since the damage wasn't annotated on the car return slip before mine, it was therefore my fault.
    Today I received a bill for $664.15. The damage portion is magically $476.44, just $24 under my deductible... They are also charging me for loss of use and admin fees.

When you rent through the usaa portal, enterprise is supposed to include a discount code which would waive loss of use and admin fees. For some reason, even though my confirmation shows USAA member program, enterprise is claiming a different code was attached to my rental car. And therefore th extra fees are not waived. There was no warning they would do this while booking, or that they had switched to a different code.

As for the damage, I would have no problem with this if there had been a dent, or if I had damaged the car. But the alleged dent was only viewable in the shade, by the employee. To me it looked like natural curvature of the lid- not a dent. It is not viewable in photographs- either the ones I took to show there wasn't a dent or the photos taken by enterprise. In the sunlight, which is where the initial car inspection took place when they gave it to me- the trunk looks perfect. This whole process has seemed like a scam. When I returned my car, half of the cars in the returned area were marked for damage. Somehow, magically, the claimed amount is just below my deductible. Any advice for how to work this out with enterprise? My husband and I have used them before quite a bit without any incidents, but after this experience we are a bit let down with the company.

2. Sara_j

3. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

We have advice on how to get a car rental claim dropped.

However, in your case, with the pictures that you have, I'll state my suggestion, and ask for other advocates to chime in, because you have another dimension to the situation - the unapplied code to your rental.

I would first start by writing Enterprise and sending along the pictures as proof that there is no damage. Start with customer service and work your way up to, and through, the executives.

Explain that, when the employee expressed that he saw damage, you became confused because you simply could not see what he/she was referring too. Explain that you did vocalize your confusion but that the employee dismissed your concerns, insisted that there was damage, and told you that you needed to fill out paperwork.

Concede that, in this day and age, with vehicle body's being designed for visual drama and flair, it is entirely possible that this employee did not recognize that this was the actual body style of the car, but that you saw no damage on the vehicle, you did not damage the vehicle, and only filled out the damage paperwork to be a good citizen.

Ask them to please reference the pictures that you took?/they provided you as proof? to see that there was no damage to the vehicle. And then ask them, in light of this pictorial proof, I am asking you to please close this case and drop this claim.

Don't mention shade or anything else. Keep the letter simple but be sure to state that you took great care with the vehicle during your rental period, that you did not damage the vehicle, that you disagree with the employees assessment that there was damage, and feel the pictures completely support your point of view.

If that doesn't work then you can go the different route of asking for all of the documentation to prove that the 'dent' wasn't assigned to, and paid by, via another renter . I honestly believe with those pictures you could invite them to sue you and they would lose. They just cant prove actual damage.

The other thing I would do is call USAA and ask them about your scenario. Tell them that you made the reservation using the code to get insurance and that Enterprise didn't apply that code, and now Enterprise is trying to make you pay for damage that doesn't exist, that the claim amount is suspiciously low, and that you have pictures to prove that no damage is there. Ask USAA if they will review the pictures and can help you shut the whole thing down.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    Carrie Livingston and VoR61 like this.
  4. johnbaker

johnbaker Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

@Sara_j First ... thank you for your service.

Second... Is that supposed to be a picture of a dent? I looked at your high-res pictures. I see no in or out ding. No witness mark. The paint looks flawless. I even blew the pictures up to try and see something.

I used to work for GM as an engineer in one of their plants so I know seeing a ding (dent) in a picture can be hard but I just don't see one. Especially one that meets the Enterprise "golf ball sized" test they purport to use.

If something either hit the vehicle from the outside (in-ding) or inside (out ding) you would expect to see a deformation in the paint. On an in ding, you expect to see a mark where the vehicle was hit. I see none of those. As I said, the paint looks flawless to me.

I'd definitely get USAA on the case and ask for pictures that actually show the damage with their damage template next to it.

Neil likes this.
  5. Sara_j

I instantly notified USAA about the incident. They reached out to enterprise about the code and to try and get the admin and loss of use fee waived. They were told a different code had been applied, so they would not waive the fees. Since the damage is less then my deductible, USAA is unable to do much. My insurance claim agent agrees it is a terribly sketchy situation but was unable to help beyond that. I will try and reach out to enterprise customer service and see how that goes.
    And yes about the pictures. The employee drew the yellow circle around the so called damaged area.

6. johnbaker

johnbaker Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

@Sara_j Did you see or feel any damage? Did you sign something that said you damaged the vehicle?

7. Sara_j

I did not see or feel any damages. The employee filled out this damage form, then told me I had to sign it and could refute the form/work it out with my insurance. But that Hawaii was a "your fault" state and since the damage wasn't marked on the renter before me, it was entirely my fault and therefore I had to sign the form to leave the rental agency. He said I could add my own notes on the form, but I just figured USAA would be able to take care of the whole situation. In retrospect, I should have refused to sign the form and walked away. This is the first time a car rental company has done something like this to me.

8. johnbaker

johnbaker Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

@Sara_j Did you write anything on the form like "I dispute that there is any damage to the vehicle" ?

9. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

unfortunate

10. Realitoes

Sara,

I rent through USAA all the time because of the benefits they offer. You have to be sure you make the reservation through their portal though. It is easy to jump outside of it while researching. The easiest way to tell if you made the booking through the USAA portal is that your enterprise email confirmation will show the USAA information including your USAA number. If it has that information, I would recommend contacting USAA again.

Here is a snip of a recent confirmation of mine:

[​IMG]

Carrie Livingston likes this.
  11. Sara_j

My rental confirmation showed exactly that. I booked directly through the USAA portal.

As to the form, I did not write anything which is where I realize I created the most complications. I was so upset, confused and being bullied by this employee about Hawaii law and the rental. I kept saying there was no damage, I only drove the car to work or it was in a garage parked by the valet. He told me it didn't matter, that since it wasn't annotated on the rental before mine it was my fault and I had to sign this form to leave. So I ended up signing the form to just leave. I understand it weakens my case as to the alleged damage, but the fact that enterprise refuses to honor the usaa booking- that somehow my code was changed, along with everything that happened while returning the car. I am just hoping something will be resolved. I also really hope corporate enterprise might step in so that the location in Honolulu doesn't do this to another customer.

Attached Files:

12. Realitoes

I'm not sure what you mean the code was changed. Did you make any changes to your reservations? Does the confirmation match exactly your rental (dates, price, car type, etc)? If so, I would push further with both Enterprise and USAA for the loss of use to be waived as per your confirmation. USAA doesn't state that any Admin fees would be waived, though.

Neil likes this.
  13. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

From what I recall reading, OP made the reservation using the USAA rental code and, when she got up to the counter to get the car, the employee that actually booked her, didn't apply the code, they used some other code.

I almost feel like she should be able to go back to them and say they didn't honor her original reservation, the way she entered it. you know, the same sitch when they "add" insurance to your reservation without asking you. But I am torn because the other side if me keeps saying the same thing that we would say to the add on consumer - did you read the contract before you left the lot.

I suppose the letter could be crafted to state
    1) the return scenario
    2), that I did not damage the car and the pictures show that no damage occurred
    3) and then go on to state "as well, attached you will find my reservation where I made my reservation using the USAA code which includes full coverage. I am not sure why your employee ignored that code but I feel that my original reservation request should be honored and that code should be applied which makes this damage claim moot. Based on these tow factors - no damage present and the wrong rental code entered, I believe you can understand why i am asking you to please dismiss this case."

Thoughts?