1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Enterprise damage claim (existing windshield damage) long post

Discussion in 'Ent/Nat/Alamo' started by Xjfan, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Xjfan

Hello everyone,

Here's my situation. We picked up our rental on August 25. During inspection I noticed it had a chipped windshield. We showed the damage to the manager in the parking lot. He made a note on our contract and signed it.

Upon rental return, no one completed a walk thru inspection. They just asked if it was full of gas and current mileage. I guessed on the mileage and they wrote it down. Total amount of miles driven does not match actual amount. Receipt shows we drove 224 when it was actually more. I don't the exact amount. Didn't take a picture or write it down. I only have sunpass toll transaction which is a lot further.

Fast forward to last week...

A damage claim form was mailed to my previous home last week. Mail was forwarded to my current address.

On November 6, I got a voicemail about the claim.

On November 7, I got an email with the claim attached.

Today, November 10, we went to the rental location trying to get the managers name who was working on that day. I provided rental date and time. Agent asked for claim number. We explained the windshield damage was existing when we picked it up. (Feels like this was a bad move.)

First problem, the rental contract with managers signature and notes have been shredded (lesson learned). Time had pasted, didn't think we would need it.

All I have is one photo of the chipped windshield when rental was picked up.

Here are some details on the claim.

Glass invoice (enterprise didn't pictures provided of damaged glass)
    Date of loss: 08/27/17 (date returned)
    Loss report date: 08/29/17
    Date of invoice payment: 10/13/17

Damage amount: $820.42
    Administration Fees: $50
    Diminishment of value: Waived
    Total amount: 870.42

I have insurance through the credit card. Never used it in the past. Not sure how the process works. This is my first incident.

Any advice before I make thing worst.

Thanks again

2. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

3. Xjfan

No. Negative. That's our delema. That paperwork was shredded.

Since some time had passes, it was shredded. We know better for next time. I'll also scan all documents.

This really sucks.

4. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Not necessarily. Make sure you follow the instructions and tell them to review THEIR copy of the paperwork because the guy who checked the car to you documented it. And send them your picture of the chip.

Carrie Livingston likes this.
  5. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

What state was this vehicle rented in? What state do you live in? Some states have insurance coverage that fully covers glass replacement because it's a safety issue. You may be able to work that angle in the state the car was rented in, or the state you live in, or even the state the license plates were from. Long shot on that one but we need to get creative :)

Im not advocating you suck it up and pay it, but options must be explored!

6. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I am not sure why he should pay anything when the chip was pointed out to the manager before they left and he documented it.

7. Xjfan

Didn' think about the glass replacement. I live in Florida. Vehicle rented and tag from Florida.

Here's the issue with the manager making notes on the contract. The note was made on our copy of the contract only. This was an airport location. We signed the contract in the airport terminal, then walked outside to locate the minivan. Once found, we noticed the chip and a manager happen to be in the parking lot.

That's were he made notes on our contract. I'm not sure if he went inside and made notes on their copy also.

That' my concern.

8. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

My point was that no one has to come out of pocket for anything if this is the situation. If the state of rental requires insurance companies to fix windshields free of charge, then it is not the renters responsibility.

9. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

BOOM Florida is a state where glass replacement on windshields is F-R-E-E thru your insurance company, and it should be F-R-E-E thru theirs. For the sake of arguments, let's assume they have to carry comprehensive coverage.

https://www.autoglasssarasota.com/auto-glass-insurance-claim-in-florida/insurance-auto-glass-claim/

When/if they contact you again, you should say

"When I rented this vehicle I was surprised to see the windshield damaged because of the law in Florida that provides for free window replacement. I was so surprised that I mentioned this to the manager that was checking me out. he was surprised as well and made a note on our rental agreement. I did not damage your windshield. I suggest you contact your insurance carrier and have it replaced for you, at no cost."

Carrie Livingston, CCGormand and Neil like this.
  10. Xjfan

First, thanks to everyone for your input.

Just want to make sure I get this right before I proceed..

Should my first email reply be to request the following?
    Damage Incident Report
    Original Rental Agreement
    Receipt
    Fleet Utilization Log
    Pictures showing the damage/loss with time stamps
    A picture of the mileage indicator showing the mileage on the car when the damage was noted
    A copy of the license plate number on the car

****an invoice has been attached to the email with total amount due****

Or should I mention in my first email reply that the chip was existing. Manager made notes to our contract (which I don't have) and provide them with the only photo I have?

Just want to confirm how to proceed with my first reply to Jessica.

Thanks...

Joe

11. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Your letter should state what you told us (you picked up your car, res# xxxc from zxxxxx. As soon as you got in the car you noticed the chip (per attached photo- make sure you attach it) and got out and told the manager about it before you left. He marked the chip on your paperwork and initialed it and told you not to worry about it. You took a picture of it right then and there to document it and attach the photo.

You received a damage claim form last week and you will not complete it because the damage was pre existing and you did not cause it. Ask them to please go back and review the rentals prior to yours to determine who actually caused the damage. Advise them you want the claim dropped.

Send only that and see what they come back with. If they don't drop it, then your next letter will ask for the rest. (They wont send you everything but they need to see you are not accepting responsibility for the damage)

Let us know if you hear from them after your first letter, we'll help you along as you go.

12. Xjfan

Letter has been sent. Now we wait. Will keep you posted.

Thanks again.

Neil and sas80 like this.
  13. Xjfan

Update: (good news)

I'm not gonna lie. This process freaked me out. I didn't know what the outcome was going to be.

I learned a very important lesson. Document everything, video everything, photo everything. Scan paperwork, save on pc.

We rent cars, suv's, vans. Based on price avis, budget and lately enterprise. About 5 to 8 times per year.

Email from this morning.

Dear Sir/Madam:

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your loyalty and your business. We have reviewed your concerns regarding the claim for your rental vehicle; we appreciate you as a customer and have made the decision to take care of the damages and costs of this claim. Our claim is now closed. Again, thank you for your business and we look forward to servicing your future rental needs. If you have any questions, please contact our office.

This forum provide a great service to us all.

Just want to say Thank You once again.

mmb, ADM and sas80 like this.
  14. Carrie Livingston

Staff Member Advocate

@Xjfan thanks for the update and the positive outcome!

15. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Told you! If you follow our instructions- almost every case has been dropped.

Glad it worked.