Enterprise damage claim dispute

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 25, 2021
Okay so I rented a car from Enterprise in August for 4 days after that the car wouldn’t start in the morning of the fourth day so I contacted them they sent road side assistance to try get it jump started and when that didn’t work they towed it and I had to get a replacement. Fast forward to about a month ago Enterprise sent me a bill of about $14,000 for damages to the car. When I asked about the damages they sent me an assessment saying that there was “Air cleaner”, “Debris in AC condenser” and “Oil” damages.
When I emailed them that this was an unjust and a one-sided treatment they said that because it was marked as a flood loss and the engine had to be replaced they totalled the car. Also they sent me another assessment that states there was “No moisture under carpet”, “Luggage area is dry” and “Rear carpet is dry”. I didn’t drive it in any water or even a puddle! Also I just want to add that it wasn’t even raining during the 4 days I had it. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance. The car was rented in Maryland but has Texas license plates.
I do not own a car so I do not have a car insurance company to forward any claim to, I also checked my credit card company and my type of card does not have any type of insurance.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
Follow the advice contained in the following link:

Jan 25, 2021
Follow the advice contained in the following link:

I read this before posting but couldn't understand the wording that is why I subscribed and posted.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
You can escalate this using the email addresses in this link: Enterprise Contacts
be sure to start at the lowest level and that you give each contact one (1) week to respond before escalating to the next level

When you write, here is an example for you to consider:

"I am writing to you today in an effort to resolve an issue with a damage claim. Here are the details:​
  • On August _______ I rented a car from Enterprise in August for 4 days
  • The morning of the fourth day the vehicle would not start so I contacted the location and they towed it and provided a replacement
  • In December, Enterprise sent me a bill of approximately $14,000 for damages to the car
  • When I inquired about the damages they stated that it was marked as a flood loss and the vehicle was totaled
  • I did not drive the vehicle in any water nor did it rain during the rental period
Given that information and the fact that this is now 5 months later, I respectfully request that the claim be closed in my favor. While I do not know what might have caused the aforementioned damage, I am certain it was not caused by me.​
Thank you for your time and consideration"​

If they decline, then request proof of the odometer reading when the vehicle was totaled. That will show the distance the vehicle has traveled since your rental. You can further cite that as evidence.

Jan 25, 2021
You can escalate this using the email addresses in this link: Enterprise Contacts
be sure to start at the lowest level and that you give each contact one (1) week to respond before escalating to the next level

When you write, here is an example for you to consider:

"I am writing to you today in an effort to resolve an issue with a damage claim. Here are the details:​
  • The morning of the fourth day the vehicle would not start so I contacted the location and they towed it and provided a replacement
  • In December, Enterprise sent me a bill of approximately $14,000 for damages to the car
  • When I inquired about the damages they stated that it was marked as a flood loss and the vehicle was totaled
  • I did not drive the vehicle in any water nor did it rain during the rental period
Given that information and the fact that this is now 5 months later, I respectfully request that the claim be closed in my favor. While I do not know what might have caused the aforementioned damage, I am certain it was not caused by me.​
Thank you for your time and consideration"​

If they decline, then request proof of the odometer reading when the vehicle was totaled. That will show the distance the vehicle has traveled since your rental. You can further cite that as evidence.
The total distance travelled was 92 miles, I also want to note that I have a receipt on my enterprise application that states the “Odometer End” was 34025 miles and the assessment sent to me had a picture and in writing of the odometer at 34103 miles, which means the car was driven well over 50 miles after. Do you think I should include that in my email?

Reactions: VoR61

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
I recommend that you include this, which would modify my example this way:

"I am writing to you today in an effort to resolve an issue with a damage claim. Here are the details:
  • My receipt shows an ending mileage of 34025, but the assessment shows 34103 (92 miles driven since drop off)
Given that information, I respectfully request that the claim be closed in my favor.

Thank you for your time and consideration"

Jan 25, 2021
I recommend that you include this, which would modify my example this way:

"I am writing to you today in an effort to resolve an issue with a damage claim. Here are the details:
  • My receipt shows an ending mileage of 34025, but the assessment shows 34103 (92 miles driven since drop off)
Given that information, I respectfully request that the claim be closed in my favor.

Thank you for your time and consideration"
Thank you very much! One last thing should I include attachments of all the documents that support these facts?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thank you very much! One last thing should I include attachments of all the documents that support these facts?
No- attachments could put your email into spam. State in your letter you have copies of documents you can forward. Once you make contact, thats when you can send.

The mileage at pick up and drop off is critical here as it was probably the person before you that might have experienced the problem.

Jan 25, 2021
No- attachments could put your email into spam. State in your letter you have copies of documents you can forward. Once you make contact, thats when you can send.

The mileage at pick up and drop off is critical here as it was probably the person before you that might have experienced the problem.
Updates: So i sent to them that I have a receipt that says the from the start of my rental till the end it says I travelled 92miles, they never got back to me since.. even though they would always reply within 24hrs before.
Also I noticed that my odometer end on my receipt is less than the reading of the assessment (after they towed the car) my end was at 34025 while the assessment from the repair company has the reading of 34103!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you wrote to the first company contact we show and it has been a week with no response, write to the second company contact and state the name of the first that never responded. It is usually the executives at the car rental company that resolved these.

Reactions: ASeddon and VoR61
Jan 25, 2021
If you wrote to the first company contact we show and it has been a week with no response, write to the second company contact and state the name of the first that never responded. It is usually the executives at the car rental company that resolved these.
I wrote to the Damage Recovery Unit representative which contacted me first, if they don't reply in a week I will write to the executive contact you guys showed.
Thanks for your time really appreciate this.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The damage recovery unit will not drop this. The Damage Recovery unit isn't paid unless you pay. The only ones who can get this dropped are the executives at the car rental company. Please read the information in the link in post 2 on how to seal with these claims - it tells you to start writing to the car rental company.

Jan 25, 2021
Update: So I emailed both contacts in the contact list you have and got no reply so far. The damage recovery unit also did not reply to my email disputing the claim. I’m thinking of going with a lawyer at this point as they sent a letter in the mail stating that they will send this matter to a collection agency.
Also can I ask where the car was rented before I got it? As I highly suspect the car was in the floods in Texas before I rented it.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you email one at time and leave a week in between each email? There are three contacts and they are in a state with severe weather over the last few weeks. If it has been at least a week in between, go to the final contact and let that person know who you wrote to, the dates and that they haven’t responded.

Jan 25, 2021
So I emailed David Nestor on the 28th of last month and Christine Taylor on the 15th of this month (still not a week for this one) but for the last contact it says “An Enterprise contact notes that Nicholson is not in a “customer-facing” position and should not be contacted with customer service problems. We have agreed to note that.” So I thought I shouldn't.

Jan 25, 2021
Also about asking for previous rentals is that possible or they cant disclose that for privacy reason?

Jan 25, 2021
Update: I spoke to the office in Maryland that I rented the car from, it seems that the car was rented and driven from Texas from the 21st of July 2020 And dropped off at their location in Maryland on 25th of July 2020. Hurricane Hanna was during this time and it hit Houston (the city it was rented from) and the Maryland office said they took it to get detailed before I rented it.
I’m pretty sure the damage must have been done in that time but the executives have yet to reply to any of my emails though!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Update: I spoke to the office in Maryland that I rented the car from, it seems that the car was rented and driven from Texas from the 21st of July 2020 And dropped off at their location in Maryland on 25th of July 2020. Hurricane Hanna was during this time and it hit Houston (the city it was rented from) and the Maryland office said they took it to get detailed before I rented it.
I’m pretty sure the damage must have been done in that time but the executives have yet to reply to any of my emails though!
That needs to be added to your letter. Did you write to one executive at a time?

Reactions: VoR61
Jan 25, 2021
That needs to be added to your letter. Did you write to one executive at a time?
Yes I first wrote to David Nestor then to Christine Taylor, but that was before I got the piece of information about the rental history of the car. Should I email them again with this update even though they still didn't reply?