Enterprise charging me for damage

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 26, 2018
Earlier this month I was in a car accident. A car cut through traffic, to avoid hitting them I got rear ended by the vehicle behind me.
The other drivers insurance paid to repair my car and provided me with a rental.
The sales person that assisted me a this Enterprise location was all about the upsell. Trying to get me in a more expensive vehicle that I would have to pay extra for.
Even though the customer next to me got a informed about the gas policy. I didn’t not, so I assumed it was applicable since the other insurance was covering the rental.
He breezed through the vehicle checkout inspection. Everything I pointed out, he didn’t even look at, I was just answered with it has to be bigger than three inches. I didn’t get down on my knees to look under the vehicle.
A week later I go to return the car. A different person goes out to look at it, and tells me to stay inside, since it was raining. After a couple minutes he asked me to come outside.
Then asked if I had any problems with the car. I told him that the car would just shut off and start back up at stop lights. I was never informed of this feature since my vehicle doesn’t have it.
He then asked me if I hit a pothole. And then pointed out a dent in the center of the passenger side rocker panel, which is almost under the vehicle. I didn’t hit anything while driving this vehicle.
I work at a auto dealership, so I am very informed about what things like potholes can do.
I drove the vehicle cautiously and safely, especially since my 7 year old is in the vehicle with me most of the time.
So now, I’m being charged for this dent, and my insurance will be charged as well. Which will lead to a rate increase.
I’m already financially strapped. I couldn’t even afford the $50 security deposit they put on my debit card. He had to wait a couple days to I got paid so he could run my card.
I’m grateful that no one was hurt during the accident, and that my car was repaired. But due to the accident, now I’m going to get charged a hefty repair bill for damages I didn’t cause.
My family is barely making it. Recently I had to choose between heat or cable. I choose heat. So food and heat wins. Cable and internet was shut off.
In a perfect world it would be amazing if I wasn’t going to be charged for the damage to the rental. But that’s not how the world works. The damage supposedly wasn’t there before, or was over looked. So it’s on me. Who couldn’t afford a rental that I wasn’t even paying for.
Would Enterprise split the difference with me? Or give me a payment plan?
I really can’t afford any of these options, but I also cannot afford a rate increase to my insurance either. Enterprise is a huge company. I’m just a mom trying to survive another day, and keep my family warm and fed.
I need help. I couldn’t afford the $50, I’m definitely not going to be able to afford the hundreds of dollars, possibly more, on a vehicle I didn’t damage and wouldn’t of been in in the first place if the driver behind me was playing attention.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is not unusual. In fact it happens so much we have a thread on how to handle it. If you read the thread, follow the directions exactly. You need to start corresponding with Enteprises main offices, not your local office. We have that information in Company Contacts on top of our page.

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.1514/

If you follow the instructions in the post - almost every case we have had here has been dropped. I hope it will work for you as well. Let us know what happens.

Feb 26, 2018
This is not unusual. In fact it happens so much we have a thread on how to handle it. If you read the thread, follow the directions exactly. You need to start corresponding with Enteprises main offices, not your local office. We have that information in Company Contacts on top of our page.
Neil,
The employee that was as working did not give me a receipt. He pointed out the damage that was practically under the car. When I refuted the I caused this damage. He gave me this speil that since I work for the dealership down the street, he’d done his due diligence. Then called me two days later saying that the damage wasn’t reported previously. Of course it wasn’t, or they would of charged someone else and fixed it.
What do I do if I don’t have a copy of the rental agreement?

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.1514/

If you follow the instructions in the post - almost every case we have had here has been dropped. I hope it will work for you as well. Let us know what happens.
I didn’t get a receipt from the person that was checking my car in. I disputed the damage he pointed out to me on the vehicle. He told me since I work at a dealership down the street from them

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
@Catey’smom when they contact you again tell them you are disputing that you caused the damage. If you haven't already, please look at the thread Neil provided and you will likely get the claim dropped. The car rental companies are notorious for this.

Feb 26, 2018
I am not sure why a receipt is needed. Just follow the instructions in the thread I pointed you to and tell Enteprise headquarters you did not do the damage.
They have now put in a claim for the damage and charged my card an additional $200!
Who in that link you sent me do I contact? I’m not sure which person I should contact. And I’m kinda freaking out. I can’t afford the $200 or the insurance rate increase my insurance is going to hit me with.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Call your credit card company and dispute the charge.

Go to the top of the pages on these forums and click on the company contacts tab. Go to Car Rental to get the enterprise contacts and start writing as the Company Contacts page advises you to. You need to start corresponding to the local office and start with the corporate offices.