Enterprise Charging Me for Damage to a piece

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 20, 2018
I received and enterprise rental. Car after putting my truck in the shop for an accident involving a Usps mail truck making an illegal u-turn and then fleeing the scene.
The first rental I had to return due to violent shaking on the highway. The second vehicle was returned without a scratch and 4 days after returning I was told a check engine light was on and there was a piece damaged under the vehicle and I was responsible. They claim I owe them $450 and after many aggravating phone calls they said they were going to put me in collections etc.
they also claim they know exactly when the light came on, they don’t, they stated I called to tell them the light was on, I didn’t and my phone records will prove that. I feel bullied. I am a single mom and work three jobs and the stress of fighting with enterprise, Usps and everyone else is too much. I don’t have $450, I just paid $500 for a deductible. They call and bully and tell me I am lying and responsible for something I didn’t do. I can’t fight enterprise so now I have to face eviction or no food, to try to find the money to cover this and I am tired!

What's your desired resolution? I don’t believe I should have to pay this. First I can’t even imagine where I will come up with $450. I need my credit. So many things, the light could have been reset before I was in the vehicle. I have no idea if the piece was damaged before I had the vehicle. The vehicle had to be driven across the street from the shop back to the rental car lot, not by me. I want something to work in my favor, for once. I guess my resolution would be for them to stop pursuing this.

What's the value of your claim (in US $)? 450

Date of transaction/travel date: 2018-01-12

By submitting this form, I authorize representatives of this site and its affiliates to disclose information I have provided to a third party. I understand this authorization also applies to past and future correspondence with representatives of this site and its affiliates. The information may be used in a news story. I release and hold harmless this site and its affiliates from any liability and/or claims in connection with the disclosure of the information.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Boy can I sympathize with you. Our last rental we had as we drove off the lot, my wife noticed a check engine light was on. We turned right around a took it back because we did not want to have something like this happen.

We have a thread on how to deal with these false claims. Tell them there was no check engine light on in the car and if they claim someone called them about it, they should call
Whoever rented it after you. And why did it take 4 days for them to notify you? Why wasn’t it noted when they had to turn the key on to check the mileage when you returned it? The agent had to look st the dash to get the mileage and certainly would have seen the light on.

We have a thread on these type of claims;

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.1514/

It’s not as rare as you think. Follow the directions in the thread and you should get the charges dropped.

Jan 9, 2016
Unrelated to your Enterprise request, I am curious why you paid a $500 deductible for an insurance claim resulting from a USPS vehicle making an illegal u turn. Did you file a police report?

Jan 20, 2018
Unrelated to your Enterprise request, I am curious why you paid a $500 deductible for an insurance claim resulting from a USPS vehicle making an illegal u turn. Did you file a police report?
Yes, the police arrived about 1/2 hour later, we had to find the driver of the truck. Now I am submitting a torte claim with Usps. I was told because I didn’t hit the truck there was not enough proof I the truck was there so we had to establish the presence first. At least that is what I am being told.

Jan 20, 2018
So, I have followed the advice and continued to email the upper executives. Unfortunately, they keep sending my email to the claims rep. Who proceeds to treat me like I am an idiot and have signed up for something and just refused to pay. Enterprise, at no point, has shown understanding in this situation. They are like any other bill collector only they get to tell you how much they want you to pay and if you don’t, they are willing to threaten, ruin your credit etc. this was not a line of credit I accepted responsibility for and choosing between gas for my home or paying enterprise is a horrible position to be in! How do I fight them? Word to the wise... make sure if you do ever rent a vehicle, you are taking pics of everything under the vehicle as well in fact, an inspection report may also be necassary. I will never rent anything from them again!!