egiftcard stolen from my google account

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 22, 2017
Yes, that happens frequently. Are you looking for some help to regain your $200 value? We'll need all the details of how it all happened.
I lost my wallet and there were 2gift cards a200 and a 10dollar the ten dollar one came in the mail but not the 200 dollar one So I called the gift card line and they offered me an e gift card for the amount so I thought I was all set the gift card was a bar code somebody took a picture of the bar code and spent the whole thing the very next morning I was in shock when the girl said there was zero on it there is an open case with target but some of there reps were very rude and even hung up on me I was so distraught I told them I’d go to the store and just take my money back I didn’t mean it I was just so upset there is a case number its27570653 and you can look it up with my gmail I’m homeless and this is terrible I needed clothes for the winter by the way the initial gift card was for returning a brand new a Winn mountain bike my freind gifted me a free one so I figured I could use the money for clothes I’m at a homeless shelter besides losing my wallet with the gift cards I lost my bus pass I’d all my money I can’t even ever get out of this homeless thing sometimes I think I’d be better off in jail at least I wouldn’t freeze to death

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Please tell us why, where, when, how and who replaced your plastic gift card with the e-gift card.
Then tell us how much time expired before you discovered the e-gift card had been used.
Also, if any other than you had access to that e-gift card # and PW to use it?
Then maybe someone can offer a starting place for you to begin to discover what happened and how to reach over your funds.

Oct 22, 2017
Please tell us why, where, when, how and who replaced your plastic gift card with the e-gift card.
Then tell us how much time expired before you discovered the e-gift card had been used.
Also, if any other than you had access to that e-gift card # and PW to use it?
Then maybe someone can offer a starting place for you to begin to discover what happened and how to reach over your funds.
The target gift card hotline agreed to replace 2target gift cards in my wallet one was for2hundred dollars the other for 10dollars the ten dollar one came in the mail around October 16 then on October 17 I called target gift card line and they offered the e gift card I said ok and it came in like ten minutes when I went to use it on October 20 that’s when target told me the card was spent already according to target it was spent on October 18 at nineosix am at the Stamford target store

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Do you live in Stamford? I am not certain how an e gift card can be used in a store. It doesn't make sense.

We have company contacts for Target you can write to but we have not been successful with gift card issues.

Oct 22, 2017
Do you live in Stamford? I am not certain how an e gift card can be used in a store. It doesn't make sense.

We have company contacts for Target you can write to but we have not been successful with gift card issues.
It had a bar code someone took a picture of the bar code on the computer with there smart phone and just scanned it at the register there is an open case with target but I’m losing hope I’m at a shelter after completing a drug program and I’ve been suffering ever since so much has gone wrong people steal all my stuff I’m getting bit by bed bugs my neck hurts I lost my phone first then my wallet someone stole the front wheel off my bike I have no one in this world ever since my parents died ten years ago

Oct 22, 2017
So you think someone you know or have been in contact with may he even done it?

Have you filed a police report?
I trued the police were no help I went on a computer at both the shelter and apple store someone was snooping my computer accounts it’s my fault this isn’t the first time people have said dum stuff on my Facebook I don’t belong on a public computer I feel like a dummy for this

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I trued the police were no help I went on a computer at both the shelter and apple store someone was snooping my computer accounts it’s my fault this isn’t the first time people have said dum stuff on my Facebook I don’t belong on a public computer I feel like a dummy for this
Was there someone with you while you did this that took a picture of what you did? If you know who might have done this, you need to get the money back from them or go to the police and report them. I don't understand how you would know someone took a picture of the information and took it to the store. You might go to the store and ask them to review the security footage for the day and see if you know who used it. Then you can prosecute.

This is why we ask a lot of questions here- we need to know the whole story. We have never had an instance of a gift card being stolen that did not have unusual circumstances behind it that was not caused by something the consumer did. I don't recall a single case that was the actual fault of the company.

As you have discovered, you should never ever use a public computer for any type of financial transactions. This is exactly why and I am sorry to say I don't think that Target can do anything for you in this case BUT I think you should try to write to them and explain in detail what happened - maybe they will make an exception due to your circumstances. I see they probably didn't have a physical addrsss to mail a card to.

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/target-corporation/

Start with a letter to customer service, and explain it in full- you are homeless and didn't have a physical addrsss to mail a replacement card to and you are forced to use a public computer and someone got the info from there and stole the money. Ask if they can make an exception and provide you with another card. They will probably say no, and then you should write to the first executive shown and ask. Give a week in between letters and write all the way up the chain of Executives one by one. One might be sympathetic to your situation and make an exception. Don't call, it should all be done via email so you have a correspondence chain.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Oct 22, 2017
target keeps telling me to wait 5to7days every time i call its getting old thanx everybody for trying i really give up im out the money and thats it somebody had christmas on me

Feb 9, 2016
David - there is a simple way to solve this. Get in touch with the target store where your card was redeemed and have them hold the register security tapes from the day the bar code was redeemed. You were already told what date and time the card was redeemed. You can tell the store that information. Once the tapes are ready, you can go to the store with the police and ID the person who used your gift card, and they will go to jail.

After all, you have proof that the card was your property (the email from target giving you the eCard info) and the tapes will prove that it wasn't you who redeemed the card. Since it was most likely someone from the center, you can either give the police their name on the spot, or you can take the image back to the center and have the administrators tell you who the person is.

Once the person is apprehended, there's no way they can wiggle out of the charges because it's not you on the target store tape as you were otherwise checked into a facility, and you absolutely, in no way, shape, or form, gave them the eGift Card number, you didn't trade them the eGift card number for cash, nor did you give them permission to use the card.

problem solved, right?

Feb 9, 2016
one thing Im confused about - how did the bar code get onto anyone's phone for scanning?

the person who accessed your google account had no access to your password, so there's no way they could log on to your google account from their phone in order to show the bar code at the store.

you also haven't said that your account password was changed/you were locked out - which would be difficult for random person to do without the answers to your security questions.

I assume they didn't forward the email to their own email account - because you haven't said that and, if they did, that would be information you could figure out and then figure out who's email it was.

how did your eCard number actually get onto their phone?

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Target already helped him out by replacing the one he lost. I do not see it doing that twice. There is no point in pulling the security footage bc it doesn’t matter who redeemed it. Target will say they acted in concert.
The friend who bought the bike can file a purchase protection claim and regift the LW the cash. The LW cannot even show Target a receipt for the original purchase.

LW, your situation sounds awful but do not hyper focus on this gift card. You lost your wallet. If it was stolen then you should have filed a police report, which it sounds like you did. If the theft occurred at the shelter, that is information your homeless services folks need to be aware of. Beyond that, look into other services you can avail yourself of in your community. I am familiar with Stamford.

I would have kept the bike and signed up to be a postmate or something.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
target keeps telling me to wait 5to7days every time i call its getting old thanx everybody for trying i really give up im out the money and thats it somebody had christmas on me
"It had a bar code someone took a picture of the bar code on the computer with there smart phone and just scanned it at the register"

How do you know that? If that is true, then you had to be at the computer while this person took a picture so you should know who did it. And then you need to report it to the police.

I also have this question about your initial post:

I lost my wallet and there were 2gift cards a200 and a 10dollar the ten dollar one came in the mail but not the 200 dollar one

I am confused - you had 2 gift cards in your wallet but the $200 one didn't come in the mail. How did you get it? Was it an actual plastic gift card?

Stop calling and use our company contacts by email as I advised you to above. As I said, we have never had a gift card issue here that didn't have weird situations behind them - it was never the fault of the company. Other than you using our company contacts to write to Target, there is nothing we can really do for you here because again - there is not anything that Target did wrong.

Oct 22, 2017
David - there is a simple way to solve this. Get in touch with the target store where your card was redeemed and have them hold the register security tapes from the day the bar code was redeemed. You were already told what date and time the card was redeemed. You can tell the store that information. Once the tapes are ready, you can go to the store with the police and ID the person who used your gift card, and they will go to jail.

After all, you have proof that the card was your property (the email from target giving you the eCard info) and the tapes will prove that it wasn't you who redeemed the card. Since it was most likely someone from the center, you can either give the police their name on the spot, or you can take the image back to the center and have the administrators tell you who the person is.

Once the person is apprehended, there's no way they can wiggle out of the charges because it's not you on the target store tape as you were otherwise checked into a facility, and you absolutely, in no way, shape, or form, gave them the eGift Card number, you didn't trade them the eGift card number for cash, nor did you give them permission to use the card.

problem solved, right?
It’s not solved it’s so complicated it is too frustrating I’d rather forget it it’s not worth my time anymore thanx anyway

Oct 22, 2017
I
It’s not solved it’s so complicated it is too frustrating I’d rather forget it it’s not worth my time anymore thanx anyway
I asked the police target went to the company contacts nothing worked I appreciate everybody’s help but it’s too much on me I give up I lost 200 I’m homeless somebody had a shopping spree on me there’s nothing left to do but forget it

Dec 9, 2015
David, the forum admins sent you my contact information on Oct. 30. Can you check your email and contact me? I want to help. if you don't have it can you ask the admins to send it you again, please?