EASIRENT charges me over $2K for a clutch falsely claiming "driver abuse" :(

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 10, 2017
I have been driving a manual transmission car the entire time I've been a licensed driver. My husband was the same way until his current vehicle. Our previous 2 cars had 170K miles on one and 180K miles on the other . The transmission was never an issue for either one nor was it ever a problem on any other manual transmission we have had.

Sep 19, 2015
I have been driving manual transmissions for 20+ years. I've never had to replace a transmission and that's in 4 vehicles, although the 4th is less than a year old. I keep my cars on average 10 years but do have relatively low mileage - last car had 80,000 miles for a 10 year old car. The first one though, 89 Mazda 323, I beat that car to hell and back. But still never replaced the transmission.
Carrie I suspect that you are like the OP -- someone who regularly drives a manual and does it properly. I truly believe that previous renters rode the clutch and wore it out -- a properly driven manual car should not have a clutch break down at 30,000 miles. Similarly, it would be a challenge for an experienced manual driver to destroy a clutch in 50 miles.

People tend to rent manual transmissions in Europe, even if they are not used to them, because the cars are less expensive. So a person that is a casual manual driver rents a manual transmission car, and may not know the area and be more hesitant in driving, and may not be used to driving on the UK side, and shifting with a different hand.... so many ways for a rental car transmission to be slowly worn down

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
@Christina H agreed. I was the designated driver in Germany since I could drive a manual transmission. Although reverse gave me a bit of trouble since it's the newer way, press down then left and up.

Sep 19, 2015
@Christina H agreed. I was the designated driver in Germany since I could drive a manual transmission. Although reverse gave me a bit of trouble since it's the newer way, press down then left and up.
I am a casual driver -- as I live in NYC -- and really out of practice with a manual transmission and would never rent one in Europe or anywhere else for that matter. I would be that person who wears down the clutch. If I cannot afford to rent an automatic in Europe I do not rent. Just not worth it.

Jan 6, 2015
I spent some time searching for known issues with Peugeot 380D clutches and did not find anything. However, I was able to find this and other posts similar to it:

where it states ...

"Just like a stiff pedal, a clutch pedal that stays on the floor can point to problems with the linkage or release bearing. Either component may bind. Check that the springs in the linkage are not over-stretched. You may need to adjust the linkage. Also, check that the pedal stop is in place, and, if necessary, inspect the release bearing."​

Based upon your symptoms, this points to an adjustment and not necessarily a repair/replace. Something to bear in mind ...

Over a week. Still no response to me from EASIRENT. But Elliott.org kindly sent them a letter/email last week and they said they would respond in 7 days. I noticed in the Elliott daily forum there was another linked discussion of a false damage claim by a rental car company - although, at least in that case, the poster acknowledges that they could have taken pictures first, which of course doesn't help with the mechanical failure and false claim of driver abuse I had. Not sure what else I could have done to protect me self (or what any car renter/consumer could do in that circumstance), but it is a real loophole.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Over a week. Still no response to me from EASIRENT. But Elliott.org kindly sent them a letter/email last week and they said they would respond in 7 days. I noticed in the Elliott daily forum there was another linked discussion of a false damage claim by a rental car company - although, at least in that case, the poster acknowledges that they could have taken pictures first, which of course doesn't help with the mechanical failure and false claim of driver abuse I had. Not sure what else I could have done to protect me self (or what any car renter/consumer could do in that circumstance), but it is a real loophole.
Because of the many “mechanical” claims for Clutch damage on this Forum I will make sure to save myself the drama and rent an Automatic even at the higher expense it’s worth it! So sorry this is happening to you.