Downsized Cars

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 6, 2017
Why do car rental companies get away with calling a mid-sized car, full-sized; a compact car mid-sized; and a subcompact car, compact? Just rented a compact from Payless, but received a Ford Fiesta, which is a subcompact. I've argued with Budget representatives about this before when they called a Corolla a mid-size. It is wrong - we are being downsized!

Jan 6, 2015
For some reason the article Christina posted (good find) has a lot of white space (for Ads that aren't loading) on my laptop (on two browsers). The same article, which is properly formatted is here:

In that article there is at least one reference to rental companies using the number of people, bags, and doors which is what I see using Kayak (on my system I have to refresh the page after loading with the following URL):

This is far better way to assess the size of the vehicle you need.

Nonetheless, your point is well taken ...

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015
VoR61 hmm I wonder if the article I posted may have come up strange as I did it from my phone-- maybe mobile format? Thank you for catching that and finding a better link.

Sep 19, 2015
thank you - I get what the article is saying - BUT, they are ripping us off - they know what they are doing and are always looking to upsize us. A lot of what the rental cars reply is legal mumble jumble - It is about squeezing every dollar they can out of us...
I gave the article link to show that your complaint is not the only one. I no longer look at the category, I look at the type of car and make a decision, as the category names can vary from company to company.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is beyond infuriating, Chrisg, I know EXACTLY what you are saying. Just another avenue to increase revenue when you find out the vehicle you booked is smaller than a rollerskate. I loathe little cars and spend time in places like I-95 up and down the coast of Florida and the freeways around Houston, so I want something big enough to offer me a little protection ... when one of those little old ladies or guys in jumped-up pickups just sideswipe me for no reason, for instance.

Last two 'intermediate SUVs' turned out to be station wagons, and rather little station wagons at that. When I complained, I was offered a nice upgrade for about $100 more for the week. Uh, OK, is this how things are going now in the rental car biz? I believe it is, and we will all have to triple our research into what size car we want to rent and how much we're willing to pay for it.