Do you believe Spirit Airlines or the passenger?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Steve

Verified Member
Jul 10, 2013
Student says she flushed 'emotional support hamster' after Spirit Airlines denied passage

Belen Aldecosea was assured by Spirit Airlines that she could bring her emotional support hamster with her. However, when she got to the airport, Spirit refused to allow it to fly.

"She says an airline representative suggested flushing Pebbles down an airport toilet, a step that Spirit denies."

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article198971069.html

Jan 11, 2017
It seeems to me neither side provides full story here.
A simple call to local animal control could have helped. (In case some of you are not familiar with animal control services: they are the ones who can help to find lost pets, to take unwanted, abandoned, injured pets to shelter, etc..)
Or checking-in the hamster?

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2016
A) that's horrible
B) WTF? walk into the bathroom to 'flush' the animal, leave the cage in the bathroom and Stick the hamster in your pocket, you idiot!

Feb 9, 2016
Aldecosea unsuccessfully tried renting a car and agonized for hours before doing the unthinkable
Really? No cars available anywhere, huh?

No one forced her to do anything. If that was a valid reason I could get away with a LOT more stuff then I currently do.....

Aldecosea said Pebbles was a true comfort animal

Really? you FLUSHED your emotional support animal down a toilet? How did you manage to do that without having the support of your emotional support animal....?

Jan 11, 2017
P.S.: I know that TSOs have very bad reputation, but they could have helped too. They confiscate smaller-bigger hidden animals daily/weekly, they do have hot line to animal control.
NEvertheleess, I think this is definitely the time to stop this ESA madness.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
How about I believe neither completely?
I think Spirit told her she couldn't fly with a rodent. I doubt they told her to kill her pet. I can't believe that she's trying to blame them for making that choice.

Edit: I also believe that she has made a sworn statement admitting to felony animal cruelty so where's the charge for her?

Mar 25, 2015
cali
A) that's horrible
B) WTF? walk into the bathroom to 'flush' the animal, leave the cage in the bathroom and Stick the hamster in your pocket, you idiot!
That would have totally worked and she could have easily bought a new cage when she landed.

She's a 21 year-old college student- I wonder who is paying for her lawyer.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Aldecosea unsuccessfully tried renting a car and agonized for hours before doing the unthinkable
Really? No cars available anywhere, huh?

No one forced her to do anything. If that was a valid reason I could get away with a LOT more stuff then I currently do.....

Aldecosea said Pebbles was a true comfort animal

Really? you FLUSHED your emotional support animal down a toilet? How did you manage to do that without having the support of your emotional support animal....?
She was probably under 25. It costs a fortune if you are under that age to rent.

My questions was how did she get the thing to
School with her in the first place.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
How about I believe neither completely?
I think Spirit told her she couldn't fly with a rodent. I doubt they told her to kill her pet. I can't believe that she's trying to blame them for making that choice.

Edit: I also believe that she has made a sworn statement admitting to felony animal cruelty so where's the charge for her?
EXACTLY! I don't believe either side. What kind of a monster would kill her own ESA? This person might be the peacock lady's sister?

Mar 25, 2015
cali
-Sprint admitted that someone mislead her into thinking it was ok to bring the hamster.
-She is clearly emotionally disturbed. (seriously, people have snuck on snakes and birds- she could have at least tried to sneak on the hamster)
-if she has rich relatives or a lawyer who really wants to get on yahoo news she has a case.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
I agree that the woman is seriously disturbed if she did flush the hamster.
She could have put the cage just anywhere out of sight ( there are usually unused gates) especially if she was there all day.
Why would she flush the pet? She was just not right, as we used to say.

Feb 3, 2017
I agree, the young woman has some serious issues.

If it was a dog, cat, ferret, whatever - what would she have done then? Did this poor little critter die just because it was easy to dispose of it? Ugh