1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Do Not Rent List

Discussion in 'Ent/Nat/Alamo' started by kathy mcduffie, Oct 17, 2017.

1. kathy mcduffie

I am at the end of my rope and not sure what to do. I found out I am on the Enterprise do not call list. I called Enterprise and they told me that it was from an accident I was in on Aug. 3rd 2010. I told them I was not in an accident. Long story short I found out that my husband was in the accident. It was the other persons fault and they received a ticket. I was told by Enterprise that my insurance company paid $1500 for the accident. I did not know this and no longer have Liberty Mutual. Enterprise says that the deductible is what is still being owed of 596.92. I got information about the accident and called the police dept. They confirmed that the woman did receive a ticket. She could not send me the ticket but could send me a copy of the police report, which she did. He noted on the report that he felt that they were both at fault. Enterprise said they tried to go thru her company and that did not work so they went thru mine and they would go after her company. I was not notified of any of this. Now my problem is that the statute of limitations has run out so I am stuck paying 596.92. I asked Enterprise and they said nothing can be done. I dont know if anything can be done but I have a reservation at the end of the month to pick up my dying mother and now I can't because of this. After the hurricane damage, I dont have an extra $600. laying around esp. for something that I did not do in the first place. Any ideas?

2. Carrie Livingston

Staff Member Advocate

I'm not an attorney but I would think the statute of limitations would protect you from the debt.

3. kathy mcduffie

I think you are right and am guessing that is why I have not heard anything from them. I just want off the list so I can rent a car:(

4. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

Patina, Nancy and jsn55 like this.
  5. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

I wouldn't pay them, screw them, they are shady. Pull your credit and make sure the amount was never assigned to you/shows on your credit. if it doesn't, fugheddaboudit

6. Christina H

Check out the statute of limitations on debt collection for your state. It varies by state; TX is 4 years but RI is 15 years. You have to use a different rental company. Enterprise also owns Alamo and National.

Cancel the reservation and go with another company

7. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Why don't you just rent from another company? What did your husband say? He should be the one paying this.

8. kathy mcduffie

Yall are so right. It was only that Enterprise does come and get me which made it handy. I may have to go to a different company. I was already not happy when I called them and after explaining they were like, nothing we can do. The insurance gave them $1500. I am just blown away by the whole thing. I dont know how we did not know any of this. Hubby was pissed cause it was a small accident and stated there is no way that there was $2100 worth of damage and not even his fault. He does not want me to go back to them if this is not taken care of.

9. Carrie Livingston

Staff Member Advocate

I don't think you're going to be able to get off the list. Although you might try with our company contacts for Enterprise. It's worth a shot. If you decide to write, because of the nature of your request, I would start with the first executive contact. Don't write all the contacts at once and wait at least a week before moving to the next contact.

10. kathy mcduffie

I was told that the statute did run out. Thats way I was like ok this was 2010 and its 2017. You got your money. Take me off the list and we can call it a day. They said no.

11. kathy mcduffie

12. kathy mcduffie

That is going to be my next and last resort. I am not going to beg someone to take my business.

13. Realitoes

As far as the rental agency is concerning, it doesn't matter how the accident happen or who is at fault, the renter is responsible for any damage sustained while the vehicle is in their possession (as stipulated in the rental agreement). If the renter doesn't accept the rental agencies collision damage waiver, then they are taking responsibility to pay for all damages, even if the renter's or other person's insurance company doesn't cover the full amount.

Question I have is how did they have your name associated with this? Were you the one that actually rented the vehicle? Was your husband listed on the rental as an authorized driver?

krisseye likes this.
  14. kathy mcduffie

Yes I rented the car and used my insurance. My husband was an authorized driver.

15. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

I am totally confused. There's no problem ... forget Enterprise, be thankful that this unknown issue is no longer valid. Just make a res with another company and get on with it. Why do you insist on renting with Enterprise? I'm not being critical, I am genuinely confused.

16. kathy mcduffie

It's just that given my situation it is easier to rent with them cause they can pick me up. My rental for a one way was $7.35. Some other companies want to run a credit check. I rented with Hertz and they left me stranded in Baltimore until enterprise came and got me and rented me a car with no issue. This is the first and last issue I will have with them. Hope that makes it more clear.

17. Christina H

It is likely that Enterprise will not take the OP off the Do not rent list until after the bill is settled-- even if the statute of limitations has passed on the debt. The husband may say that the other person is at fault but the rental car company has the OPs name and wants more money -- possibly an unjustified amount -- but does the OP have the time and energy to fight this now? Even if it is paid off the list may not be updated immediately. So it may be time to look into asking for a ride, hiring a ride share, taxi.

I am not passing any judgments here just trying to be practical.

18. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

Take an Uber/Lyft to and from the car rental place you choose. You can price the cost of an Uber/Lyft for the distance on their website. then you can cost average how many round trips you can make via either of these car services for the $500-some-odd-dollars that you owe Enterprise. Then take into consideration how many times a year you actually rent a car.

You'll probably see that switching car rental companies isn't as big a deal as you thought it would be.

Or pay Enterprise their money, if the pick up and drop off is that important.

19. AMA

AMA

Why isn't your husband fixing this? He was the one who had the accident and didn't tell you.

Carrie Livingston likes this.
  20. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I was just going to say that. We just rented from Enterprise and waited so long for them to pick up we just Ubered. Cost us $7 and no more aggravation.

You really have no choice if you aren't going to pay them which wouldn't do any good anyway since they said they aren't taking you off the list anyway.