Discounted airfare for repeat traveler to visit paralyzed husband during rehab?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 10, 2018
I am asking for a friend whose husband was recently paralyzed. He was just moved to a rehab facility in Denver, CO.

My friend has to fly back & forth between San Francisco area every week or so to split time between her kids at home & her husband. This could go on for months.

Does the airline industry or any specific airline offer help/discounts to people like this who need to fly so much and paying out of pocket to be with an injured spouse? I wanted to find out if anyone has heard of help like this.

If it helps, she can fly out of SFO, OAK or SJC to DIA

Apr 10, 2017
First of all, I am very sorry for your friend's husband and their entire family. I hope he is able to make a full recovery.

She should start by talking to someone at the rehab facility. I read where Southwest is offering so many free flights per year for certain hospitals and organizations throughout the country. Their website says to contact the hospital's Social Work, Travel/Concierge Service, or Patient Assistance Department to see what's offered. This facility might have an arrangement with an airline or charity organization to provide free or discounted airfare for patient families.

Jul 27, 2016
Agreed that the rehab facility would be an excellent place to start.

Other than that, does your friend know what her specific schedule will be well in advance? If so, she might be able to work something through the group sales office of one of the carriers, in the vein of "book these 10 trips all at once and get a % off discount" sort of thing.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

Other than that, does your friend know what her specific schedule will be well in advance? If so, she might be able to work something through the group sales office of one of the carriers, in the vein of "book these 10 trips all at once and get a % off discount" sort of thing.
Group sales are for 10 of more people traveling on the same flight, not one person buying 10 flights.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Check Alligent and Southwest for fares that are reasonable. But Discounts I doubt you will find any airline will be inclined.

Sep 19, 2015
I am very sorry for your friend and of course the husband, how devastating.

I would ask the social worker at the rehab facility.

Years ago one of my relatives was diagnosed with terminal cancer, and was very young and an usual case; she was treated at an out of state research hospital that route was only served by Southwest; she got no discounts and neither did family taking her there and back. But things may have changed; she died about 10 years ago.

If there is no discount look into a credit card that has insurance and rewards and sign up for airline loyalty program.

Sep 19, 2015

I think group sales are literally for groups of 10 or more; the airlines think of their loyalty programs as the way to get free flights. My late relative had no luck but maybe things have changed.

Oops I see Neil wrote the same thing......

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I think group sales are literally for groups of 10 or more; the airlines think of their loyalty programs as the way to get free flights. My late relative had no luck but maybe things have changed.

Oops I see Neil wrote the same thing......
Doesn't matter ... the important thing is to have many avenues to pursue ... just in case. As we see often here in solving problems, a chance encounter with a department or individual executive could result in something positive. I admire you for stepping up to help, Erika. Pursue every possible road to getting your friend some assistance.

Sep 6, 2015
i know with Delta I have been asked if I wanted to donate frequent flyer miles to angel flights at the end of the year, where they fly sick children for free. It might be worth exploring to see if they would allow her to use a bank of donated frequent flyer miles for the same purpose. I don't know what kind of network of friends, family, church and work world she has, but it would be worth putting it out there to ask their personal network for frequent flyer mileage transfers to help her out (similar to teachers who donate sick days to a colleague with a serious illness). Best of luck to your friend and her family.

Apr 10, 2018
Thank you so much everyone for your support & advice. I apologize for the delay in my response.

My friend did contact her social worker at the hospital & they stepped up to help, actually buying tickets for her at a discount price from the airline. (This is Craig hospital in Denver). What a great service to provide. Plus they are taking excellent care of her husband. She was very grateful for your advice!

Thank you everyone.