Disappointed with NCL

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 20, 2017
We did NOT purchase the travel insurance. As that is now out of the way my wife and I recently were scheduled to cruise on NCL and had to cancel due to a parent illness. Knowing that NCL Is under no obligation to offer a refund we sent anyway an email to guest relations explaining the circumstances with a supporting doctor's note. As this would have been our 3rd cruise with NCL with hopefully many more to come we asked to apply our paid fare to a future cruise. Being that we twice previously cruised with NCL fully expected to receive some type of "goodwill" credit. What we received instead was an emphatic NO. The worst thing is the email response was scripted and a hollow apology concerning the medical situation of a family member.

As we were scheduled to fly to our cruise destination we sent a similar email to American Airlines and asked to waive the rebooking fee. We received a reply the same day and they most generously agreed to waive the fee without even us providing the doctor's note! Granted the re-booking fee pales in comparison to the cost of the cruise but it's pretty easy to tell which Airlines we'll use for future travel and what cruise line we will NOT use. In this day and age with entertainment companies in fierce competition for your discretionary income, the importance of customer service and social media platforms available to us all one would think a company would be more customer focused instead of just "sticking to their policy." If you don't think this is relevant than why can you not purchase almost any goods or services without a request to complete a survey. It's because companies value opinions on how they can better serve their customers.

NCL has lost a customer for life and potentially those that have either cruised with us or have received recommendations from us. I'm quite confident that other cruise lines will welcome our future business.

Jan 6, 2015
You did not say how far in advance you purchased (i.e., "when does your cruise sail?"), but if there is yet enough time, all may not be lost.

You can appeal your case electronically by using the Company Contacts link near the top of this page. I recommend you start with the Primary Contact email link.

The information you provide should be concise (summarize) and respectful (non-threatening). Make your requests specific and reasonable, and thank them for their time and consideration. Acknowledge that you are requesting an exception to their policy.

Wait 2 weeks for a reply before moving on to the higher level contacts. And when reaching to executives, I like to begin with an apology for taking their time "because I know you are busy with other, very important matters. I have reached out to customer service, but they were unsuccessful in fulfilling my request."

And @Neil is right in saying that every cruise line would likely decline your request.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
You did not say how far in advance you purchased (i.e., "when does your cruise sail?"), but if there is yet enough time, all may not be lost.

You can appeal your case electronically by using the Company Contacts link near the top of this page. I recommend you start with the Primary Contact email link.

The information you provide should be concise (summarize) and respectful (non-threatening). Make your requests specific and reasonable, and thank them for their time and consideration. Acknowledge that you are requesting an exception to their policy.

Wait 2 weeks for a reply before moving on to the higher level contacts. And when reaching to executives, I like to begin with an apology for taking their time "because I know you are busy with other, very important matters. I have reached out to customer service, but they were unsuccessful in fulfilling my request."

And @Neil is right in saying that every cruise line would likely decline your request.
Unless your cancellation was at the last minute, don't give up after one 'no', Bill. VoR has provided all the guidance you'll need to pursue this up the executive beanstalk. NCL should indeed come through with some kind of a future credit ... it may be a small one, but to just blow you off is insulting. Be polite, be concise and be persistent. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unless your cancellation was at the last minute, don't give up after one 'no', Bill. VoR has provided all the guidance you'll need to pursue this up the executive beanstalk. NCL should indeed come through with some kind of a future credit ... it may be a small one, but to just blow you off is insulting. Be polite, be concise and be persistent. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.
This is not usually the case - a cruise line coming through with some type of credit. Depending on when the cancellation is, you have a monetary loss if you cancel without insurance and the cruise lines are much more restrictive than an airline. Most of the time the cruise lines do NOT extend a credit but it never hurts to ask. My advice is to not expect to get anything but be surprised and happy if you do get one. I don't want to give anyone false hope because I can tell you from experience it is nearly impossible for a cruise line to give in - they hear these stories all the time.

Our writer admits that NCL is not obligated to refund anything (if the cancellation was less than 30 days) and they have already told him no. Again - this is why the cruise lines sell insurance.

Here is the cancellation policy for NCL:

https://www.ncl.com/about/cancellation-fee-schedule

To our writer - move up to the executives and ask but again - don't expect it and be happily surprised if you find one who is sympathetic. Two cruises on NCL is not a lot of cruises - if you perhaps had 20 under your belt they may look at the request differently. But if it happened on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Princess - the outcome would be the same.