1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

DirecTV

Discussion in 'DirecTV' started by M. J. Schmiedeler, Mar 26, 2017.

1. M. J. Schmiedeler

Recently my wife and I were shopping at one of the big box clubs and of course ran into a guy hawking direct tv. I told him we already had it and thought the bill was too high....how bout saving some money...Long story short; and I had my doubts about this; we cancelled our current package which was in my name and enrolled my wife as the primary account holder; same address, her cell # ect...I was really leary about being able to cancel my current package; turned out it was as simple as calling customer service and telling them that I was retiring soon (not a lie) and could not afford it. They said no problem cancelled my subscription sent me boxes to return the three dvrs (which we did the day we got the boxes) and then I get a letter from them which essentially says they can't contact me at my listed email address...so I call again and guess what; they want to refund money back to me that was on my account when I cancelled....so far no problems with wife getting her contract which saved us 50% for two years... I just keep wondering when the other shoe will drop; Anybody else had a similiar experience?

2. cp556

cp556 Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I debated whether to post this, but here goes:

We are moving fairly soon. The DirecTV tech was at our home for an issue. So I asked him if the best thing would be to take our boxes to the new home, or call DirecTV to do the installation there.

He asked what we were paying and I told him. He said that NEW customers got a significant discount over our price, and when we move we should call DirecTV and cancel the account in the current name. Then we should use a different phone to call DirecTV and establish NEW service at the new address in the other spouse's name and phone #. He claimed we'd see a large discount and it was totally legit to do this.

Hearing what you've said reinforces my desire to do exactly that...

jsn55 and sas80 like this.
  3. George M

The other shoe may drop at the end of the two-year introductory offer when the discount expires. However, if you haven't been charged an early termination fee and they don't start claiming that you never returned the DVRs, then it appears you're home free. Isn't it great when you find a customer service representative who can actually provide service?

Neil likes this.
  4. mws

mws

April 2017 - 9 months later --- any surprises or repercussions?

5. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

It has been only a few weeks. This was just posted March 26.