1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

DirecTV company contacts success story

Discussion in 'DirecTV' started by ADM, Oct 4, 2017.

1. ADM

ADM

My mother-in-law recently moved from a house in a different state to an apartment close to my husband and me. She had DirecTV at her house and was only 11 months into a 2-year promotional deal. There is a $220 cancellation fee if a customer cancels in the middle of a contract like this. She cancelled her service, returned all the equipment, and told DirecTV her new apartment building doesn't allow satellite service, which is true. She paid the final bill and thought that was the end. DirecTV says the cancellation fee can be waived if a customer is moving and the new location doesn't allow its service. However, the fee was never removed. My mother-in-law just assumed she didn't owe it because she couldn't have the service here. I explained to her that it needed to be officially removed or it could adversely affect her credit. I did my own investigating and discovered there is a process a DirecTV customer must follow in order to have this fee waived. It sounds strange but the customer must schedule a move and the technician shows up to do the install, only to be told by the landlord/property manager that the service isn't allowed. The technician then calls DirecTV and tells them this directly. My mother-in-law had no idea this was what she was supposed to do. She said those "crooks" lied to her. Then again, she didn't ask and simply cancelled the service. I asked if a letter from the property manager could take care of this and I was told no, they could do nothing once service was cancelled. I had my MIL get a letter from the property manager on company letterhead stating that no satellite service was allowed at this building. I asked her to take a good picture of it and text it to me. I went to the Company Contacts page on this website and found the first executive. I composed a polite, concise email explaining that my MIL mistakenly cancelled her service without understanding the correct protocol. I attached the picture of the letter and I also mentioned that my husband and I have been DirecTV and NFL Sunday Ticket customers for over 16 years and have always been happy. I included the account number so this could be verified. My MIL did an online chat a few hours later and the fee was gone. She said I must have worked some kind of "magic" because she had talked to numerous people and gotten nowhere.

You might be wondering why she didn't send the email herself but if you ever saw her email composition skills you would know why it was better for me to do it!

2. Just A Guy

Glad it worked out for her!

As an FYI for anybody reading this thread, a building can't simply prohibit satellite TV service, but it can prohibit attaching the dish to common areas. If you have private outdoor space (such as a balcony), you have the legal right to have a dish if you want.

mmb likes this.
  3. ADM

ADM

That's true but this particular building doesn't have any balconies. The hallways are all interior as well. Other residents really have tried to get satellite service there but management won't allow it.

Just A Guy and AMA like this.
  4. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

You are a NATURAL at this stuff, ADM!! Your MIL is very lucky to have you on her side.

5. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

I have a friend who works for ATT (corporate). He said they are still in the process of integrating Direct TV into ATT in terms of processes, compliance, etc. he said that ATT Corporate/employees, etc are confounded at the lack of appropriate processes in place, that you would see in a typical company of this nature and/or maybe the processes are in place but they cant seem to make heads or tails of them.

He said the one thing that has stunned them is that Direct TV has outsourced EVERYTHING. This story is a great example. the company itself cant move a muscle until an outside vendor verifies the situation. Crazy.

6. Just A Guy

Interesting, because the view in the investor community is that DirecTV was by FAR the better customer service organization, and AT&T would have been much better off putting their entire customer service operation in the hands of the DirecTV team, rather than trying to "AT&T-ify" it.

7. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

My comment has nothing to do with customer service

I agree, DirectTV customer service is way better then ATT customer service.

8. ADM

ADM

I was a longtime customer of both and I will second that. I'm still with DirecTV but no longer with AT&T. The service at DirecTV is much better.

9. ADM

ADM

Thank you for the kind words. I have learned so much from this website and everyone on here.