desperately needs assistance with cell phone bill - longtime customer

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 11, 2016
Short version - I have been a customer of TMobile for 10 years. 10 years! Last June, my husband, an IT Manager, was laid off and I was and am launching my photography business. Since last June, its been anxiety and stress - he had two short term contract jobs - and we have gotten behind in bills but are staying afloat in addition to raising 2 daughters ages 8 and 11.

To T Mobile's credit, they have been working with me with a series of payment arrangements. About a week and half ago, my service was suspended However, the bill has mushroomed to $1700 (prior to this year it hasn't been more than $250). T Mobile reps kept insisting that I had to pay the past due balance of $1200 bc I was 122 days behind or something like that. Some of those arrangements I did not meet by the deadline but nonetheless have been paying. After pleading profusely with various customer service people and many phone calls , I was connected to a lady who was nice enough to allow me to make a $500 payment and restore service. I was then to make a $300 payment by a certain date which I missed by a day or two. So, my service was suspended again.

So here's the main problem. Now they are telling me that all options are off the table and i need to come up with $1200 minimum which I do not have. I asked them if I could make a $300 payment and if I can pay every week in incremements until i get to that $1200. Now that's like $800 in a span of 2 weeks. They said no. But, I'm thinking wouldn't Tmobile want to work with a valued customer who is wants to pay this bill or leave TMobile .

It's been a difficult time but its not like I haven't paid the bill. Who can I talk to to go around the customer reps?

The desired resolution?
I would like TMobile to allow me to make a $300 or $350 payment today, restore my services and then allow me to make incremental payments of $250 -$300 on a weekly or biweekly basis until the $1200 is paid off and under 60 days.

Last edited:

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
I understand you are frustrated but on this site we really want to understand your situation. The ALL CAPS stopped me completely. For future readers of your story could you please revise/edit and adjust the Caps.
Thanks! ;)

Michelle Friedman

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Sep 19, 2015
But, I'm thinking wouldn't Tmobile want to work with a VALUED CUSTOMER WHO IS WILLING TO FORK OVER AN INDEFINITE REVENUE STREAM OVER AN INDEFINITE PERIOD OF TIME OR SEE THAT VALUED CUSTOMER LEAVE TMOBILE AN
I am truly sorry for your circumstances, but you have to look at your situation from a company's view point (or an outsider's viewpoint). You really are not a valued customer right now or for the past year and they don't know when your circumstances will return to "normal". At this point, they have probably done a credit check on you and they can see if you have other bills that are behind or unpaid. They have made arrangements with you and you missed those payments , too. A $1700 debt owed to a cell phone company is a massive amount. It is a very unfortunate situation , but the company is trying to limit any further debt. That would be to your advantage as well... since , if they turned your phone back on, you would be accruing more debt with them.

I think a prepaid Trackphone could be a temporary solution to your problem.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@d. bertrand To summarize your story... It sounds like you have an overdue balance. Made arrangements to pay that balance over time. Failed to live up to those arrangements so T-Moblie suspended your service. You made a payment and a new arrangement but failed to live up to that agreement so they've suspended your service again.

Am I close?

If so, you'll probably need to look for a cell phone provider. I don't think that you'd meet their definition of a valued customer anymore and they'll probably not be willing to make any more arrangements with you.

Moving to a new provider allows you to restart your service today and you can pay off the T-mobile balance over the next 60 days.

Feb 9, 2016
We're hiring in the Dallas area and other areas. I know one company right now, with offices all over the US, and in other countries, and they are looking for good IT people in all locations. And we are hiring at my company. PM me

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2016
@d. bertrand To summarize your story... It sounds like you have an overdue balance. Made arrangements to pay that balance over time. Failed to live up to those arrangements so T-Moblie suspended your service. You made a payment and a new arrangement but failed to live up to that agreement so they've suspended your service again.

Am I close?

If so, you'll probably need to look for a cell phone provider. I don't think that you'd meet their definition of a valued customer anymore and they'll probably not be willing to make any more arrangements with you.

Moving to a new provider allows you to restart your service today and you can pay off the T-mobile balance over the next 60 days.
I'm on Virgin Mobile. $35 a month for unlimited calls and texting and data (but they do throttle at a certain point) You can auto bill on your credit card every month. These days you can also move your cellular number too.

Sorry for the off topic responses. It's helping, but in a different way. :)

Sep 6, 2015
I was going to make the same suggestion--go to a pay as you go service. They aren't very expensive. Are they locking access to your phone number? If not, I would try to use that number on a different account while you continue making payments on this account. At minimum, see if T-Mobile will allow you a message on your old account giving people your new number.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You may have to go to a pay as you go service because with an outstanding balance, when they do a credit check if you try to move elsewhere, you might be refused service.

I have to agree with Michelle's advice - you aren't a valued customer to them anymore. Had you not missed that payment they might have been willing to work with you but they did and you still missed a payment, so once bitten, twice shy.

What about getting a landline until you get back on your feet?

But we do have company contacts at T Mobile so it will not hurt you to start writing to see if you can drum up some help.

http://elliott.org/company-contacts/t-mobile/

Write to Customer Service and plead your case. Give them a week to respond. if they don't or the answer is still no, write to the first executive shown. Give him a week to reply, then move to the next if you don't get a favorable response. Repeat weekly until you get to the top of the executive chain. Don't write to them all at once and don't start at the top. Do it exactly as we tell you to.

The answer is still likely to be no until you get further caught up, but you never know - you might find someone who sympathizes with you and is willing to work with you.

Let us know how you make out when you have finished the writing chain.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
1. Why is your bill so high? Is it possible there was a billing error? Have you scrutinized the bill bc it is not uncommon for the carriers to stick in things you were unaware of or overcharge exorbitantly when all you needed to do was spend an extra $10 for a higher tier plan.
Review paper print outs of your last 12 months. Every time I look at mine I find something wrong and it may give you more breathing room with the company.

2. Even if there are no errors, This is the perf time to do your research and come up with some better offers and take them back to your carrier and complain that they have been overcharging. While one school of thought is bc you owe, they don't care about retaining you, I think the opposite is also true. The carrier wants its money and knows once you switch, it's never getting it.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
i agree with the others that the best solution is to get rid of this service and your cell phones altogether. My advice is just if you were determined to keep it. Get a land line for $10. Mine is free. That's all you need. My mom ran a photography business for years before she had a cell phone and was super successful. Cell phones are not necessary for most people.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
It's unfortunate that you did not make the payments as you agreed. The company has no reason to extend you any more time while you run up more charges. Just get a prepaid Tracfone, perhaps that will allow you to stop using the telephone for hours every week. When a spouse loses a job, it's time to cut your spending drastically so you can pay your bills until things return to normal. I wish we had better news for you.

But the company does want you to pay the outstanding bill, so there's always hope that you can set up another payment plan and get your service restored. My colleagues have given you the information required, it never hurts to ask. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.

kenish

Verified Member
Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
If @d. bertrand s service has been deactivated, her number cannot be ported. Same if her number is not local (for example someone in Denver kept their Miami phone number, the new carrier isn't required to port....and it may be technically impossible). A lot of other exceptions but these 2 may be relevant to this case. Hope she returns with updates

Maybe you need to:

a) take a hard look at your expenditures - such as cable tv, etc.
b) consider taking the phones away from the girls [if they have them] to cut future bills
c) cut way back on data and voice so it is affordable.
d) go see a lawyer about a bankruptcy petition [are you as far behind on other bills as you are on T-Mobile?]
e) Go get some cheapo android phones from Cricket or one of the pre-paid companies -

I have 4 smartphone lines and share data on all of them - and if I were $1700 in the hole I'd be 8 months behind in paying - I don't know what you are paying monthly but I bet you could cut it way back -