1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

DENIED TO CANCUN AFTER 5 AA EMPLOYEES AND TSA APPROVED

Discussion in 'American Airlines' started by RANDALL ROY, Mar 31, 2017.

1. RANDALL ROY

HI ELLIOTT;
    FIRST LET ME SAY MY PASSPORT IS LIKE NEW . CHIP WORKS NO RIPS TEARS OR SEAMS RIPPED ON COVER AND PICTURE AND NUMBERS ARE IN IMMACULATE CONDITION. IT HAD 1 THREAD HANGING THAT IF I WOULD HAVE CUT IT YOU WOULD NOT HAVE KNOWN. THIS IS FROM STICKING IT IN MY BACK POCKET . And the government calls this normal wear and tear. The employee at American said Mexico would not allow me in. without even looking in my passport.. If he had he would have seen 6 to 8 stamps to Mexico. The last one in October 2016... On their airlines with that same thread hanging... He would have also seen a trip where I just returned 1/12/2017 from the Philippines with 3 other trips there since this passport was issued on 12/22/2015.. he would have also noticed a trip to the embassy and 2 trips to emigration for a visa extension . No one not evem Philadelphia's federal bldg. would say or said replace it because other than that that everything is in perfect shape and there is no seam open.

When I arrived at Philadelphia airport, 2 AA employee's helped me. .. 1 gave me the gate pass and another one helped me with the kiosk since I never used one for my baggage both took my passport and approved it along with 3 TSA security because I am handicapped and have to go thru a special door....Normally there is only 2 at TSA but I can not go thru the metal detector so they manually check me out and a lot closer than the average person. That's 5 separate people that approved it... Then my nightmare..
    number 6 at the gate... He was wrong ... I Know it. I have pictures of it on face book under Randall Roy... . My suitcase because of this was left in the rain for at least 30minutes and everything was soaked date of ticket 3/28/2017 ticket number Xxxxxxxc

Note- ticket number removed by moderator

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2017
  2. Patina

Patina Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Please take another run at detailing your problem. Omit all emotion and stick to the facts. We understand your frustration but your post does not clearly outline what exactly happened. Once you do that, we are in a better position to assist you.

John Galbraith and Neil like this.
  3. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

Oh my, what a mess. I'm assuming this was the agent at your gate, after you had cleared security and checked your bag. Do you have any insight into why the agent behaved that way? I've read that relations with Mexico are not so good these days, perhaps there's something going on that nobody told you? If your passport is in pristine condition, there has to be another reason you were denied boarding.

You should compose a CALM, polite, concise email to AA and ask for an explanation. You don't say what happened after you were denied boarding, this would be an important part of your story for us to understand. Please come back to us with the details and we will help you make a plan.

4. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Who exactly told you the passport was too worn? You say you went 2 other employees who said nothing so where was this person you told you no? There are other factors besides a thread. What was the passport expiration date? How many blank pages did you have left? And Is this a US passport

Our relations with Mexico have no bearing on this, I am assuming the writer was in the US trying to go to Mexico.

You will have to include clear pics of the passport to send to AA with your letter.

This is what the State Dept. says about a damaged passport

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/FAQs.html

Did you get the name of the agent who refused to let you board? Without that you may have a problem getting the airline to listen to you.

If this is a US passport can you get a to a passport office and see if you can get a statement saying the passport is not too damaged to use? That would help when you write to the airline.

5. John Galbraith

Staff Member Advocate

Hi Randall

As the others have asked some more detail would be useful so we we can help. I also have a question. What did the agent from American actually say to you? What intrigues me is what you said about the encounter.

"The rude jerk at American said Mexico would not allow me in. without even looking in my passport."

Do you mean he just looked at the outside but not the inside and made a judgment that tit was very badly damaged?

6. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

@RANDALL ROY i can see you stop by this morning. It would be helpful if you answered a couple of our questions and concerns regarding your experience. This will allow us to better assist you and also to better help other travelers who have similar issues with their Passports.

John Galbraith likes this.
  7. RANDALL ROY

Is this better Elliott

8. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

??

Patina likes this.
  9. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

The Gate Agent prior to boarding the Aircraft is the last line of defense to make sure every passenger has their passport, and that the passport is valid for entry into the country you are flying to.
    I would carefully read @Neil post above and answer the questions he has asked.

10. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

@RANDALL ROY edit out the picture with your oh so handsome face! To much private info.

I see it doesn't expire until 2025, how many pages left? What can I say from the picture it looks good to me. However I strongly recommend NOT keeping it in your back pocket as that appears to have caused what ever wear you have.

Neil likes this.
  11. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I can see some wear on the very bottom of the passport from keeping it in your pocket.

Now I'm not a TSA agent to determine if that's enough to ban you from traveling but I can see wear on the bottom. It's not in pristine condition but is it enough to keep you from traveling? I don't know.

I would take this to a passport office and get something in writing stating the condition is good enough to travel with and present that to AA and request a refund.

12. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

I would very carefully "shave" the frayed edges. That should clean it up.

13. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

Can someone with edit powers delete the passport details. To much info. I reported and asked @RANDALL ROY to edit but he has left it up ;)

14. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Here is what the passport office says about damaged passports and what to do. Yours shows some wear on the bottom but not enough to make it unreadable. Take it to an office and ask if needs to be replaced. If they say no, get it in writing and send it to the airline.

Types of Damage Passport
    • Water Damage Passport – Damage due to a Water Condition
    • Rip Passport – Rips or Tears Passport that make it hard to read
    • Suspicious Marking Passport – Suspicious markings on the personal I.D. page
    • Torn Out Passport Pages – Pages that have been torn out
    • Holes Passport – Unapproved holes or staples
    • Other Damages on Passport – Other Damages unapproved by custom officials
    If you are in the United States and you don’t need your passport immediately, then simply go to the nearest Passport Agency or Post Office and you will be given forms to fill out.

VoR61 and John Galbraith like this.
  15. Dan P

I don't get it! US citizens don't need a passport for Mexico! The traveler's passport, even in a goofy condition, proves he's a US citizen. They should have let him board. Boo to AA.

16. Patina

Patina Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Not sure where you are getting this info.....in order to travel to and from Mexico you must have a valid passport unless you are traveling by sea on a closed loop itinerary (TAs correct me if I am wrong about this). In that case, you can travel using a Pass card.

Neil, jsn55, krisseye and 2 others like this.
  17. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

By air US Citizens must have a valid passport to enter Mexico.

Neil, jsn55 and VoR61 like this.
  18. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

you are 100% correct :)

Neil likes this.
  19. Patina

Patina Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Whew! ;)

Neil likes this.
  20. Dan P

Sell lots of cruises to Mexico from LA. No passport is necessary.