Denied embarkation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 10, 2018
We booked 5 days cruise from Mobile to Mexico, for a family of 7. Due to heavily traffic on I65S, got to the port 8 minutes late and we were denied embarkation, even thou the ship left 15 minutes after time.
We purchased the travel insurance, but since it was not a "covered reason" they said 75% credit cruise from the cruise price only, and even that , wrong calculation, less than 50%.
Even the parking payment, still wait for the refund.
Trying for copy of the police reports, nothing yet.
Please advice what else should we do, thank you,

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This ship manifest is closed an hour before the ship is to leave- once that happens they can’t let you on - it’s no different than missing a flight except you have 3,000 plus people to get settled.

Embarkation begins at 11:00 AM or so. Even when the traffic- that’s a four or five hour window to arrive. Did you fly in the day of the cruise?

We have company contacts on top of our page. Read the information on how to write and use our contacts that begin a writing campaign. Be respectful and explain you realize you are asking for an exception. Give them a good explanation on why you didn’t plan to arrive as soon as embarkation began- I can assure you our questions will be what they will want to know.

I would ask for a credit for a future cruise credit- they are more likely to consider that then a refund.

Go up the executive chain one by one and let us know how you make out.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
I'm so sorry you did not get to sail as planned. And that the traffic was heavier than you anticipated.

Are you saying that you arrived at the port 8 minutes after the printed SAILING time? Or 8 minutes after your pre-scheduled ARRIVAL APPOINTMENT time? When you do your online checkin before the cruise date, you can select a time window for your Arrival Appointment (pier check-in time).

DHS (Dept of Homeland Security) requires that all passengers be on board no later than 60 minutes prior to ship departure. If a passenger doesn't meet that requirement they cannot sail.

Carnival's Vacation Protection Plan states if you need to cancel for some of the most common reasons (severe weather, illness, etc.) you'll get 100% of the cost of your trip back, in cash. If you need to cancel for any reason not covered by the plan — any reason at all — you'll get 75% back in a Future Cruise Credit Certificate. So it appears in your case you will get the 75% back in the form of a future cruise credit. Please be sure to note the expiration date on your certificates and book the next cruise accordingly. And please note that the cost of the Vacation Protection Plan itself is non-refundable.

May I ask what the police report is for?

On the top of this page is the llink to the COMPANY CONTACTS @Neil Maley mentioned. I wish you the best. Please let us know what transpires.

Mar 17, 2015
One other question, did anyone call the cruise line when you realized you were going to be late? I know it is too late now, but in rare instances, cruise lines may hold off if they know a number of travelers are having issues. I do not think it is common, but DCL held our ship in Copenhagen a few years back for almost 2 hours waiting on just a few guests. And no, these guests did not book air through DCL.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Also, as far as the amount you are seeing- they usually refund the taxes so the 75% should be based on the net price, not the total.

Your insurance actually did help you because you had cancel for any reason. If you didn’t have that you wouldn’t get anything back.

Jul 13, 2016
One other question, did anyone call the cruise line when you realized you were going to be late? I know it is too late now, but in rare instances, cruise lines may hold off if they know a number of travelers are having issues. I do not think it is common, but DCL held our ship in Copenhagen a few years back for almost 2 hours waiting on just a few guests. And no, these guests did not book air through DCL.
If this cruise's first stop was Russia, then they would wait for those guests, since the guests would not be allowed to fly into Russia to catch the ship without getting Russian visas.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If this cruise's first stop was Russia, then they would wait for those guests, since the guests would not be allowed to fly into Russia to catch the ship without getting Russian visas.
That has nothing to do with this case though.

If the missing guests in Copenhagen were on a Disney excursion- that’s why the ship waited.

Mar 17, 2015
That has nothing to do with this case though.

If the missing guests in Copenhagen were on a Disney excursion- that’s why the ship waited.
They were not, they were coming in for embarkation and the flight was just running late. No DCL transfers or anything. We spoke to some crew members (so take this for what it is third party info) and they said that there were many factors that go into deciding whether or not to wait. My point for future travelers is to call, you never know. Staying in communication with the cruise line could make a difference.