Denied boarding in Budapest by Air Canada

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 7, 2018
My Danish passport was reissued during a visit to Copenhagen in December 2013. The Canadians call it "Country of Issue". Besides, the approval and the check-ins ware never an issue before. But thank you for your concern.

Sep 19, 2015
I wonder, is the Canadian internal system (the one being checked now) the same system that is used by airline staff? There may be some interface problem between the two.

May 7, 2018
Christina, we would be guessing, and I found it better just to ask someone in the know to take a look at it - and fix it. I would be surprised if my case were the only one.

My guess is that there is a master database with much more information than agents need. So, for safety reasons there is an inquiry database for agents and us commoners to check, containing a subset of the master database information. Making sure that these databases stay in sync is key, not very complicated but it must be done right to prevent an oops to cause havoc. While I am an electronics engineer, I am not a skilled database programmer/engineer, but my son is and we talk.

May 7, 2018
Oh, well....the Canadians have given up, so they no longer answer my communication except for acknowledging that they have received my inquiry. They claim that I am approved and (supposedly) that I should nave no problem boarding flights to Canada. However, using the immigration services' own Check-status system, I continue to be told that their issued eTA number and my Danish passport number do not match. On their last communication they surprisingly changed "my" country to USA, they stated that I was approved 2016/2/2, and the form reads under Application Status: Closed. I immediately protested because their Check-status tool still could not find me in their system. Furtermore, the two questions I asked originally: 1) what do I do now, and 2) how do I get reimbursed for their mistake, remain unanswered by Agent Francois, #3XX7. I guess that I will just have to avoid Canada in the future. Or, is there a better idea out there?

May 7, 2018
O CANADA: I'm still trying to resolve this case, so today I called the 1-800-O-CANADA number because the website specifically states that they answer all sorts of questions - including questions about the eTA. The friendly gentlemen I talked to said that he did not understand why their website would say so because they had no way to talk to the immigration people and had no additional information. He even put me on hold to talk to someone else. In the end he advised me to go back to the eTA website and try again. (And yes, I have tried to talk to my Danish embassy people in Ottawa, but they are not allowed to advise about the eTA in any way.)

May 7, 2018
It may be worse, Christina: nobody at immigrations seems to give a hoot.
An immigrations help website ($150) states (free) that Canada immigrations has cut off all telephone calls from outside Canada, i.e. caller ID's from abroad get ignored. Think about it: Canadian Immigration Authorities only answer calls from people who are already in Canada. What an interesting concept!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
It may be worse, Christina: nobody at immigrations seems to give a hoot.
An immigrations help website ($150) states (free) that Canada immigrations has cut off all telephone calls from outside Canada, i.e. caller ID's from abroad get ignored. Think about it: Canadian Immigration Authorities only answer calls from people who are already in Canada. What an interesting concept!
Yup, bureaucrats rule the world. It's astonishing how low we are sinking. Your dilemma is a perfect example of total lack of interest in our citizens, both Canada & the US. Somehow, I thought Canada would be more helpful and willing to assist you unravel this mess. It is VERY frustrating to not be able to help you.