Delta wouldn't let us board, then demanded an extra $764

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 9, 2016
I think right now you have to sit back and see the results of your charge back and FAA complaint because we usually can’t help once a complaint has been filed - the airlines won’t talk to us.
I'm betting he will lose his chargeback because the airline will claim that his wife was a no show. Aeromexico WILL boil it down to that simple point.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2017
I think your beef should be with Aeromexico, not Delta. It sounds like they were supposed to collect fees from you when you made the changes back in August. Because they didn't do so the new tickets were never properly ticketed. You show up at the Delta counter and they tell you that you have to buy a new ticket. I can understand your frustration with Delta because no one could tell you what happened. I had something similar happen because AA didn't properly endorse my tickets over to Delta. Long story but after repeated phone calls and many hours I finally got someone at AA who had a clue and he was able to correct everything.

Feb 9, 2016
You encountered a ticketing issue and were denied boarding on the original flight so your wife abandoned her seat on that initial flight because she didn't want to leave you behind.

The additional charge you incurred WAS for a new walk up ticket because your wife didn't fly.

This was well hidden.

So that's your first point of appeal with Aeromexico - do they really expect your wife to leave you behind?

I would use our company contacts and start writing.

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/aeromexico/

Exhaust all possibilities listed on the page and keep a record/screenshot of your correspondence. If Aeromexico doesn't reply/doesn't really address the ticketing issue/error, then perform a chargeback, armed with all of that information.

You may encounter an issue b/c your wife didn't fly. Technically she is an adult (ha ha, right?!) and could have flown in first and had you follow later.

Last edited:

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Can you post the fare conditions for your original ticket? Not the one you eventually changed to but the one you purchased in February from Chicago to Guadalajara. I think this is the first piece to the puzzle.

From there, we may be able to determine if the charge is a change fee plus fare difference between the flight departing Chicago and the one departing Detroit. If there is an additional amount then THAT is what I think you should have a problem with. While you may not have known about the change fee/re-calculation of the fare, it should be stated in the terms of the ticket at time of purchase and owed by you at the time the change was made. The fact that AeroMexico did not collect the fee is not necessarily your problem. So if your wife was considered a no-show for the first flight, that should not be on you, only the change fee and change in fare are what you should be responsible for, not a whole new ticket.

Jul 27, 2016
It sounds like the OP's ticket was OK, but it was his wife who wasn't allowed to board. I wonder if the Delta agent was able to fix whatever was wrong with his wife's ticket, so that she could go on a later flight, but he had been logged as a no-show by then, so the $764 is for a new ticket for HIM. A look at the Delta website show that, for one-way flights today DTW-PVR, tickets are going for around $700, so the numbers are pretty close.

If that's the case, I wouldn't be optimistic about the credit card chargeback, since the charge is for an airline ticket that the OP used.

Fundamental question, again: why wasn't his wife allowed to board the flight in Detroit?

Jul 27, 2016
Jim, if I might make a suggestion, it looks like, in the material you sent to both Delta and AeroMexico, and in the material you sent to the FAA you refer to "our" not being allowed to board. Here, you say that it was just your wife who was not allowed to board. That may be creating some confusion, if they're looking at YOUR ticket, and not seeing any issue. I'd focus in on getting Delta to explain why your WIFE wasn't allowed to board the original flight, since it's that denial that created this whole issue.

If the $764 was for a new ticket for you, then Delta could well be looking at it and saying "he had a valid ticket for the first flight, he didn't board, so he needed to buy a new ticket," when the reason you didn't board was a problem with your WIFE's ticket.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I think your beef should be with Aeromexico, not Delta. It sounds like they were supposed to collect fees from you when you made the changes back in August. Because they didn't do so the new tickets were never properly ticketed. You show up at the Delta counter and they tell you that you have to buy a new ticket. I can understand your frustration with Delta because no one could tell you what happened. I had something similar happen because AA didn't properly endorse my tickets over to Delta. Long story but after repeated phone calls and many hours I finally got someone at AA who had a clue and he was able to correct everything.
I agree because you didn’t call Delta to make the changes- and that’s who should have been called if you booked the original tickets through Delta. And I think that’s what much of the problem is from.

Jul 27, 2016
I agree because you didn’t call Delta to make the changes- and that’s who should have been called if you booked the original tickets through Delta. And I think that’s what much of the problem is from.
As I read the post, the original tickets were Aeromexico codeshare tickets on DL metal, so wouldn't they have to go to Aeromexico to change them?

Jul 27, 2016
You call whoever you booked the tickets with. Doesnt matter if it’s a code share- if you book through Delta, you make the changes through Delta- that who issued your tickets and vice versa.
Agreed, but he said he booked the tickets through Aeromexico. I'm not even sure you CAN book Aeromexico codeshare seats on DL metal through DL...

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Jim, I may be naive or just dumb, but I see this quite clearly. AeroMexico made a mistake, Delta couldn't or wouldn't tell you why because they didn't know. Back in August, you should have paid $200 minimum to change each tix. There was probably additional airfare on the new itinerary. AeroMexico didn't explain the charges or charge you at that time. We have two different airlines and two different passengers making changes. This should have been revealed when you tried to check in online but for some reason it all was a mystery.

Thanks to you I am making some real progress. I asked what the $764 was for. It's a new ticket, not a change. Also I have been mistakenly asking why "we" weren't allowed to board. But from Delta's point of view, there is no "we"; there are two individuals. I had to buy a new ticket because I voluntarily did not board the first flight. But when I asked them why my wife couldn't board, they said it was a "system error", apologized, and offered me a $75 "Delta Choice Award" (which I declined).

My next question to them is whether they think the charge was reasonable, now that they admit it was their mistake that caused my wife to take the later flight. I am hopeful that they will finally understand the situation.

Your suggestion to use the email / web form was a good one. They are very responsive, and it leaves a written record.

Of all the places I've turned to for help, you are the first ones to set me on the right path.

Sep 19, 2015
Jim was your reservation and that of your wife on the same PNR? If so that would be odd to suggest that one traveler continue and abandon the travel partner.

I did suspect that there was a ticket mess up. Please keep us informed.

I don't know what a PNR is, but the tickets were bought together, changed together, and appear together on the same confirmation email. The first indication of trouble was when my wife was able to check in online, but I was not. So it's a mystery why she couldn't board, but apparently I could have if I had wanted to leave her behind.

I suspect now that Aeromexico screwed up when they let us change the tickets in August, and that somehow confused Delta's computers. That's unfortunate, and I can see why Delta thinks they are owed $764. But I think they should go after Aeromexico for reimbursement, not me. No one ever told me anything about an extra fee until two hours after the flight left.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I think you are correct- Aeromexico did screw up when you rebooked the original tickets. There had to be a charge for it.

I would continue working on them to refund your ticket. If you were both on the same ticketed itinerary (PNR) with one confirmation number for both tickets, push them to refund your ticket. You couldn’t leave your wife alone to fix their mistake.

Move up to the first Aeromexico Executive.

Still no response from multiple inquiries to Aeromexico.

Apparently Delta really does believe I should have left my wife behind. They say:

These types of situations are unexpected can catch us all off guard. While we want customer's to stay with one another as they planned, we normally won't rebook another customer that wasn't disrupted in some way or another. I get how this caused an inconvenience and we are sorry. This experience will be shared with our Airport Customer Service leadership team.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
That reply is wrong on so many levels.....elderly person traveling with a companion to help with traveling/age issues; a teen traveling with his/her parent; a couple on their way to their honeymoon, etc. The list goes on why someone would not want to be separated. If two people are on the same PNR then that should come under heavy consideration by the gate or ticket agent.

Yes, I'm actually a bit concerned because my next trip is another Aeromexico operated by Delta, only this time I'm going with my 16 year old son. I'm going over various scenarios with him now, like what to do if he arrives in Mexico first, or if he gets left behind. Also checking whether he can even be admitted to the country without me. I'd be very surprised if I had the same problem twice in a row, but I do want to be prepared.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It’s a lot easier when you book directly through an airline vs a code share. No finger pointing when it’s all through the same airline. Check and make sure that you each have a ticket number but if you hadn’t made a change to your flight, I don’t think you would have had this problem. The change wasn’t done right- that’s what the problem was.