Delta wants to charge my wife for dying

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 2, 2017
My wife of 43 years died on June 13. She had miles remaining in her American, United, and Delta accounts. American and United transferred her miles to my account at no charge when I provided a copy of her death certificate. The Delta phone rep told me there is a $130 charge to switch her miles to my account. It seems very unfair that my wife should be charged to die. She certainly would have preferred to use the miles herself. Can you help me get her Delta miles transferred without a charge?

Donald C. Horger Skymiles # Deleted by Mod Judith R. Horger Skymiles # Deleted by Mod

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I am very sorry for your loss. I hope you can find comfort in the memories of your wife.

Was your original request via the phone? If so, write to customer service briefly explaining your request. If they repeat the necessity of a charge, write to the execs one at a time waiting one week for a reply before moving to the next name on the list. You can find their email addresses in a link at the top of the forum titled Company Contacts. I have faith that saner heads will prevail and transfer the miles free of charge. Please let us know your progress.

Feb 9, 2016
in your letter be polite and non accusatory. I might not even mention that you had already been denied. Let Delta know what American and United had accommodated you when you provided proof. if you can send proof of this accommodation, do that.

If customer service denies you, as @Patina said, continue on up the chain.

Oct 2, 2017
I am happy to report that I followed your advice and contacted customer relations again. Although I got the same response initially, I was able to get a supervisor to transfer my wife's miles to my account. The next day I received a followup phone call from the first person I had contacted on your list of contacts. She was very apologetic about the trouble I had to go through and even added 5000 extra miles to my account as a goodwill gesture. I am aware of the poor reputation of most major airlines, but I have found that they will usually do the right thing if a passenger has a reasonable request. Thank you for your help. I am very happy with the result.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
I am happy to report that I followed your advice and contacted customer relations again. Although I got the same response initially, I was able to get a supervisor to transfer my wife's miles to my account. The next day I received a followup phone call from the first person I had contacted on your list of contacts. She was very apologetic about the trouble I had to go through and even added 5000 extra miles to my account as a goodwill gesture. I am aware of the poor reputation of most major airlines, but I have found that they will usually do the right thing if a passenger has a reasonable request. Thank you for your help. I am very happy with the result.
I’m sorry for your loss. Thanks for letting us know. We always like to hear success stories.