Delta Vacations/Delta Airlines refuse to return miles even with paid insurance

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 6, 2018
Complaint number 00565424 and 00376993

I urge everyone not to use Delta Vacations. As a 2 Million miler with a Diamond status ( 4008532295), since its inception 10 years ago, I was dumb enough to listen to the recommendation from a Delta Customer service to book a vacation in November 2017 with my wife to Dominican Republic for her Anniversary for 4 days in a 5 star hotel, with airfare.

I paid $2000 with a credit card and 200,000 miles out of my Delta account was used to pay off the balance. I also paid trip protection Plus for $400 in case of cancellation, with a refund being given to the the original form of payment ( it states that on the email confirmation from Delta, so I have it in writing). Due to bad storms and hurricanes, we had to cancel our trip. We had to fight to get credit back to our credit card, and we still can not receive the 200,000 miles back less the 40,000 miles for insurance. Delta Vacations sent us certificates that can be used only with them, in violation of their own commitment to refund to the original form of payment. 2 months later, we are getting a runaround from both Delta Vacations and Delta Airlines customer service. Each claims there is nothing they can do about it.

It has been 2 months, and the blow off continues. So, I am out of 200,000 miles that I earned, Delta Vacations is lying to its customers about the refunds. No one can explain to me, why did I pay for the insurance? So i can get all the money back less insurance. I never asked for any useless certificates in place of my miles. I am astonished as to this "Bait and Switch" approach by Delta Vacations.

If I do not receive my miles deposited back, I will probably keep posting these messages on all forums, travel recommendations for years to come. I will also stop flying Delta for ignoring its most loyal and long term customer, such as myself. I do hope that the number of vacations, that will not be booked by people, considering Delta Vacations, will overshadow the 200,000 they stole from me and my family, ruining an already ruined by weather 50th birthday for my wife. I hope other people can re-post this post and teach a company, that they need to be fair, especially when they are only asked to return what was not theirs to begin with.

Jan 6, 2018
They do not charge diamond level for redeposit, however this is not the case of me cancelling the trip without insurance. I paid for insurance and that gives me the right to demand complete compensation, less cost of insurance. Otherwise, why would I pay $400 for insurance?

Jan 6, 2018
Insurance usually doesn’t cover mileage because there is no dollar value to them. If you can post a link to the policy you purchased we can take a look at it.
DELTA VACATIONS 15AUG17 558P

ITINERARY RECAP

Please do not reply to this email. This email address is not set up for correspondence purposes.

Status.........Confirmed(KK), Pmt Basis: G , Nbr Cli: 2

Names..........MR Veytsman/Ilya.S-DL 4008532295-AD

MRS Veytsman/Barri.Ellen-DL 2649035769-AD

For more information about the Transportation Security

Administration's privacy policy, visit

http://www.tsa.gov/secureflight/

Freq Flyer#....Do we have all frequent flyer numbers? Passengers will receive

flown miles. Passengers will not receive bonus miles if SkyMiles

number is provided directly to the airline. Non-SkyMiles

members are not eligible for bonus miles.

Flights........KK L DL 3854* 08NOV17/WE PHL/JFK 6:00A 7:02A (2U6U2L) (ALL)

***OPERATED BY ENDEAVOR AIR DBA DELTA CONNECTION

KK L DL 0482 08NOV17/WE JFK/PUJ 8:40A 1:40P

KK I DL 0944 12NOV17/SU PUJ/JFK 2:35P 5:45P

KK P DL 4023* 12NOV17/SU JFK/PHL 9:30P 10:55P

***OPERATED BY ENDEAVOR AIR DBA DELTA CONNECTION

THIS TICKET IS CHANGEABLE UP TO DEPARTURE/REFUNDABLE UP

TO 10 DAYS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE. FEES MAY APPLY.

Seat Asgn......KK L 08NOV17 DL 3854 PHL/JFK 6:00A 7:02A CRJ(2U6U2L)

Veytsman/Ilya.S............09-C

Veytsman/Barri.Ellen.......09-D

KK L 08NOV17 DL 0482 JFK/PUJ 8:40A 1:40P 739(2U6U2L)

Veytsman/Ilya.S............28-B

Veytsman/Barri.Ellen.......28-C

KK I 12NOV17 DL 0944 PUJ/JFK 2:35P 5:45P 739(2U6U2L)

Veytsman/Ilya.S............02-A

Veytsman/Barri.Ellen.......02-B

KK P 12NOV17 DL 4023 JFK/PHL 9:30P 10:55P CR9(2U6U2L)

Veytsman/Ilya.S............02-C

Veytsman/Barri.Ellen.......02-D

Hotel..........HBSI KK 08NOV17/12NOV17 IBEROSTRGrndHtBavaro, PLAN:AI (ALL)

Conf Nbr: 4773330

...Room: STVM OVSuite

...Adults Only - 18 years of age an

...Round Trip Transfers

...Tour Credit

...Special Offer

Travel Prot....Travel protection has been booked.

Cancel for any reason form of refund for cancel fees reminder:

TPP Plus - refund will be to original form of payment

Entry Req......All passengers departing from or returning to the U.S.

after Jan 23, 2007 are required to have a valid passport.

Pricing........Gross: $4,053.92

Payment........Guaranteed cdeposit...$762.00 due: by 9pm CT 15AUG17(paid)

final.....$3,291.92 due: 09OCT17

payments..$762.00

Scheduled Pmt..This is an advisement of the total payments scheduled.

If the credit card(s) listed is declined for the final payment

on the date it is charged, you will be contacted by email

or telephone to provide another credit card(s) for payment,

or the reservation will be cancelled and cancellation fees

will apply.

CC Nbr: xxxxxxxxxxxx6773 Amt: $3,291.92 Sched Date: 09OCT17

Docs...........Full set of documents are scheduled to be emailed on 17AUG17.

Cancel fees....This is an advisement of the total cancel fees due if the entire

booking is cancelled. Specific cancel fees per passenger would

be advised at the time of cancellation.

>>Before..09OCT17............( > 30) $762.00

Between.09OCT17 TO 28OCT17.(11-30) $862.00

Between.29OCT17 TO 04NOV17.( 4-10) $3019.52

After...04NOV17............( < 4) $4053.92(nonrefundable)

Customer.......24T0000, CONSUMER DIRECT Contact: Illia

Booking........Nbr: 15010179, Confirmed(KK), Pmt Basis: G , Nbr Cli: 2

Hazmat.........Transportation of Hazardous Materials

(1) Federal law forbids the carriage of hazardous materials

aboard aircraft in your luggage or on your person. A violation

can result in five years' imprisonment and penalties of $250,000

or more (49 U.S.C. 5124). Hazardous materials include

explosives, compressed gases, flammable liquids and solids,

oxidizers, poisons, corrosives and radioactive materials.

Examples: Paints, lighter fluid, fireworks, tear gases,

oxygen bottles, and radio-pharmaceuticals.

(2) There are special exceptions for small quantities (up to 70

ounces total) of medicinal and toilet articles carried in your

luggage and certain smoking materials carried on your person.

For further information contact your airline representative

or visit <delta.com Restricted Items> section.

Jan 6, 2018
I only received the above pasted email from Delta Vacations. At no time or anywhere did it state that I have certain restrictions that will apply to me. They convinced me to purchase insurance...I did.......... and now they are refusing to give me back my miles..... If you read the statement, it will state that refunds are made to the original form of payment. Miles were used as a payment.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Your real issue is why they aren’t re-depositing the points.

If you bought the premium policy, it states that if you don’t cancel for a covered reason, you will be refunded in vouchers.

Did the airline cancel your flights or did you cancel your trip because there were storms going on and you didn’t want to take a chance? The insurance kicks in if your flights were delayed 12 hours or more. Did that actually happen?

Here is a link to the Delta Vacations insurance policy which states the terms:

http://www.tripmate.com/plan/print_certificate/7C6EB1F7-7BB3-4838-9FC6-B51403918206

If your flights weren’t canceled for at least 12 hours then you fall into the Cancel for any Reason portion of the policy which has different terms.

You need to find out why they will not redeposit your miles.

We have company contacts on top of our page. Find Deltas. Write to the customer service email address.

Give them a week to reply. If they don't respond or refuse to help, write to the first executive shown. Tell him/her that Customer Service wasn't able to help or didn't reply. Give the executive a week to reply. If necessary, repeat weekly going up the chain of Executives one at a time. If you get all the Executives with no help, come back here and let us know and we'll
Tell you the next step. Make sure you keep all the emails as you'll need to forward them to the writers if they need to get involved.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Jan 6, 2018
Thank you. WE cancelled because the weather was all rain the whole week. Cancelled minimum 12 hrs in advance. I believe, that since i received a confirmation of my trip aand in writing with Trip protection Plus, which I bought, it states that refund will be in full ( to the original form of payment), I believe I should get my miles back, not a certificate.

if Delta has a hidden policy, in the original confirmation email there should have been a link or a mention of exclusions of the policy.

I have written to customer survive and it took 2 months already to not get an answer. Do you think it is time for me to email an executive?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
That’s not a covered reason to cancel a trip. This be covered the AIRLINE has to cancel your flights for at least 12 hours. You voluntarily canceled. It’s too bad you didn’t use a Travel
Agent that could have explained what you were buying and would have told you before you canceled that you wouldn’t receive the original payment form back.

That then falls into the Cancel for Any Reason insurance and per the insurance - you get certificates.

Buying a policy is not enough- you need to fully understand what you bought.

Usually when you opt to buy insurance, there is a link that pops up to the actual policy. Didn’t you receive that?

I wonder if this is why they won’t just redeposit the miles.

Please look at the link I posted to the actual policy.

You still should write to Delta and find out why they won’t redeposit the points with a fee. Yes, move to the first executive. Give him or her a week to reply and repeat if necessary

Jan 6, 2018
I am confused... sorry.

Here is what is in the policy:

Travel Protection Plan PLUS
With this option, you receive all of the benefits with the Travel Protection Plan (listed in the chart above) PLUS you:

• Receive the refund of the cost of your vacation package AND cancellation fees in the form of your original payment should you need to cancel your vacation for any reason (less the cost of the protection plan)
  • Will not need to provide any documentation

Where does it say that it will not give me refund in the original form of payment?

Sep 19, 2015
The big question is what does the insurance policy say? It sounds like the OP had the cancel for any reason policy. I pulled up a Delta Vacation policy and it says if one used the Enhanced Cancel for Any Reason policy that travel vouchers will be given

Attachments

Jan 6, 2018
The big question is what does the insurance policy say? It sounds like the OP had the cancel for any reason policy. I pulled up a Delta Vacation policy and it says if one used the Enhanced Cancel for Any Reason policy that travel vouchers will be given
This contradicts the following statement from them: Receive the refund of the cost of your vacation package AND cancellation fees in the form of your original payment should you need to cancel your vacation for any reason

Sep 19, 2015
This contradicts the following statement from them: Receive the refund of the cost of your vacation package AND cancellation fees in the form of your original payment should you need to cancel your vacation for any reason
Can you look at the policy they sent you? The policies vary from state to state. So the rider I looked at may be different from the one you received.

Jan 6, 2018
Thats the issue... I never reived any policy.. I only received a confirmation of purchase, that stated that I would receive a full refund less price of insurance to the original form of payment.

Sep 19, 2015
Thats the issue... I never reived any policy.. I only received a confirmation of purchase, that stated that I would receive a full refund less price of insurance to the original form of payment.
Can you look through your confirmation emails and see if there is a link to the insurance policy and website?

Jan 6, 2018
There is nothing of a sort. That is why I am so p....d off, as I paid for insurance, and still am getting the raw deal, even though they did not in any way made any efforts to even provide any warning of any possible issues. That is why I believe they should refund the miles and keep their certificates...

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I think you also need to take this up with the Executives at Delta when you write. Looking at what you posted and seeing the same thing on Deltas website- I think you have a legit complaint.

If you did not receive a copy of the actual policy to read what is and isn’t covered, you have a valid complaint. Even in their own page in the website it does not differentiate between CFAR or covered cancellation.

You might not have canceled if you knew that wasn’t a valid reason to cancel and you wouldn’t have received the original form of payment. It is false advertising.

Write an email to that effect and make your complaint two fold- the website doesn’t differentiate CFAR limitations and you believe it’s false advertising. And the second issue is why they will not allow you to redeposit the points.

Here are our company contacts for Delta;

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/delta-airlines/

Write to the customer service email address.

Give them a week to reply. If they don't respond or refuse to help, write to the first executive shown. Tell him/her that Customer Service wasn't able to help or didn't reply. Give the executive a week to reply. If necessary, repeat weekly going up the chain of Executives one at a time. If you get all the Executives with no help, come back here and let us know and we'll
Tell you the next step. Make sure you keep all the emails as you'll need to forward them to the writers if they need to get involved.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Sep 19, 2015
I do admit that the website info on the plans is confusing -- but the information on the website gives the links to find it.

And my suggestion would be to write to the executives and ask for an exception and to have the miles refunded -- do not threaten to post on social media or never use them again or use the word steal, because people get often do not react well. Do mention how you have been a happy Diamond level (even if it is a slight exaggeration) and politely ask for their consideration. Follow Neil's advice and write to the lowest level person on the contact list and then wait. Given the mess in the NE with the snow it may take a little longer to get a response.

Please try, and you can even post a draft of the letter here for feedback -- the goal is to write a short effective letter that will get the resolution you want.