Delta Ticket Name Correction Dilemma

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 12, 2018
Delta tried to add second middle name to RT ticket US to Japan via Korea and back to US directly (purchased directly from Delta online in October 2017) but correction was denied by connecting airline (Korean Air), which evidently allows no changes after ticket issued. Korean Air indicated initial(s) was / were acceptable but otherwise ticket name must be identical to passport name and referred me back to Delta - a Catch 22 since Delta was willing to correct name error but not Korean Air.

Mar 12, 2018
The Delta representative was willing to make the correction even though I was likely originally at fault for not including the second middle name when making the reservation, one which was my wife’s sole middle name when she got her first passport in the ‘60s before we were married. Thereafter she just renewed her passport periodically, adding her married surname along the way and “converting” her maiden name to a second middle name. In reality she never uses her single original middle name anywhere else. Her driver’s license and check signature, for example, don’t include it. And until recently, the two middle names were never an issue even when flying internationally.

Apr 10, 2017
So how about amending her passport to reflect the name you used for the reservation? That could be a less expensive option than a change fee and possible increase in airfare. When is your trip?

Sep 19, 2015
Mar 12, 2018
Passport name change might work, although our marriage certificate is 53 years old! We leave 03/23 but can get to Detroit from our departure point fairly easily for an emergency change - cheaper than current change fee and higher flight cost! I will check.

Apr 10, 2017
You can not amend a name unless there is some documentation -- marriage certificate, legal name change; I think that would be harder.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/change-correct.html
Good point. I didn't think of that. I was hoping Delta would reissue the ticket in her full name but if this error wasn't theirs they are under no obligation to do so. Could Delta change her name to show only the middle name initials? Didn't Korean Air say initials were fine?

Mar 12, 2018
We drive to Detroit tomorrow morning for an appointment at the US Passport Agency to present current valid passport, photos and documentary evidence for a name change with driver’s license and tax forms indicating use of three names (rather than four) for more than five years. Expedited cost: $195.00 - less than Delta rebooking and ticket fees. Only other issue: email to Delta VP and post to ELLIOT.ORG does NOT result in “correction” to current reservation after passport name change.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
I would make sure to send another email to Delta rep and explain that you are getting passport changed so there is no need to change reservation. If you can, mark it high priority and include the original email below the current email.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It’s too bad you didn’t notice this within 24 hours of booking the ticket because you could have corrected it and no charge.

If you booked the ticket online, you had to have made the error not Delta. The ticket name comes out with what you put in when you bought them.

Mar 12, 2018
Admittedly my fault initially but was released at first when Delta showed a willingness to “correct” the passport / ticket name mismatch even months after the first 24 hours. The problem rested with Korean Air which was unwilling to make any name change (adding the second middle name or accepting initials instead). For us, altering my wife’s passport name proved the easier option - as long as my second email to the Delta exec halts the attempt to add the second middle name now that we are arranging to have it excised! I DID send a high priority message to My Delta contact. Do I need to do anything about my ELLIOTT.ORG request and later postings?

Thanks, all, for your help and advice.

Mar 12, 2018
DILEMMA RESOLVED: We returned yesterday evening from a successful whirlwind trek to the Detroit US Passport Agency with a newly-issued passport and a name change that correlates with the ticket name on my wife's Delta / Korean Air reservation. Obviously, this "solution" is not one open to all, but it worked for us! While we were enroute to Detroit, a Delta rep attempted twice to contact us to acknowledge my email requesting the airline hold off making any name change since we had embarked on an alternative approach. Those messages indicated another possibility which might well have worked: a comment in the airline ticket computer that noted that the two names in question were in fact associated with the same person. Had we picked up the phone or listened to the messages, we might well have gone with the Delta option. We don't answer calls without a recognizable caller ID, however, nor did we have the opportunity to check phone messages while we were in the passport agency offices. So my wife no longer officially has two middle names (the missing one, a "family heirloom" whose absence saddens her immensely, even though she never used it "in real life"). LESSONS LEARNED: check VERY CAREFULLY when making reservations that the passport name and the ticket name are EXACTLY the same; check again within 24 hours of making the reservation just to be sure; and, as Christopher Elliot suggests, contact the airline executives directly when a problem emerges, seeking their help in resolving the issue. I probably over reacted to the name discrepancy - lots of online comments say it's no big issue - and perhaps could have waited a day or two longer in my attempt to solve the problem (and would be $195 richer as a result); however, I don't need the anxiety associated with "probably" and "perhaps", so I'm happy with where we ended up.

Again, thanks to all (including the Delta reps) who helped along the way.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
DILEMMA RESOLVED: We returned yesterday evening from a successful whirlwind trek to the Detroit US Passport Agency with a newly-issued passport and a name change that correlates with the ticket name on my wife's Delta / Korean Air reservation. Obviously, this "solution" is not one open to all, but it worked for us! While we were enroute to Detroit, a Delta rep attempted twice to contact us to acknowledge my email requesting the airline hold off making any name change since we had embarked on an alternative approach. Those messages indicated another possibility which might well have worked: a comment in the airline ticket computer that noted that the two names in question were in fact associated with the same person. Had we picked up the phone or listened to the messages, we might well have gone with the Delta option. We don't answer calls without a recognizable caller ID, however, nor did we have the opportunity to check phone messages while we were in the passport agency offices. So my wife no longer officially has two middle names (the missing one, a "family heirloom" whose absence saddens her immensely, even though she never used it "in real life"). LESSONS LEARNED: check VERY CAREFULLY when making reservations that the passport name and the ticket name are EXACTLY the same; check again within 24 hours of making the reservation just to be sure; and, as Christopher Elliot suggests, contact the airline executives directly when a problem emerges, seeking their help in resolving the issue. I probably over reacted to the name discrepancy - lots of online comments say it's no big issue - and perhaps could have waited a day or two longer in my attempt to solve the problem (and would be $195 richer as a result); however, I don't need the anxiety associated with "probably" and "perhaps", so I'm happy with where we ended up.

Again, thanks to all (including the Delta reps) who helped along the way.
This is good news to read. Not to be an alarmist, however, I urge you to check both airlines regularly until the day of travel to be sure everything is just the way it should be. If you don't already have Korean Air's confirmation number, Delta can give it to you. Hopefully all will be well and she'll have a terrific trip to Japan.