• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Delayed KLM Flight Rebooked on Delta. Can I claim EC 261

Feb 12, 2020
Hello,
I tried to search for this scenario, but the search terms failed to come up with something that matched our exact situation, but my apologies if this has been answered before. This trip was last summer and I am just getting around to potentially submitting an EC 261 claim (if valid).

So, we had a KLM flight to Scotland with a connection in Amsterdam Schipol. It was scheduled to depart July 16 at 3pm from MSP, arrive at 5:55am on July 17 at Schipol and then a 9:45 am flight from Schipol to Edinburgh arriving at 10:15am.

The KLM flight was significantly delayed (looking through the email, the departure was delayed until at least 12:50am on July 17), so we were automatically rebooked on a Delta flight (we had no say in this, it just happened and we were emailed our new tickets) from MSP to Paris CDG. It left at 4:05 PM on July 16, so only about 1 hour later than we were originally scheduled to leave. But the connection/layover was much longer. We didn't leave CDG until roughly 4pm on July 17 and get into Edinburgh until roughly 4:45pm.

Bottom line, we should have arrived in Edinburgh at 9:45am on July 17 and we didn't get in until 4:45pm, so a 7 hour delay from when we were supposed to get there.

So do we have case when it comes to an EC 261 claim? Does the fact that our initial departure time ended up only being 1 hour later make our claim invalid? And does it matter that we were rebooked on a non EU carrier (from KLM to Delta) from the U.S. and then wouldn't technically be covered by EC 261?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Feb 12, 2020
EU261 Guidance can be found in this FAQ on Elliott.org. You can also check for EU261 compensation using a third party like Air Help (which we do not endorse). Once the query produces a result, you can either request their assistance for a fee, or stop and file a claim yourself.
Thanks for your reply. I did read that faq before posting and my scenario isn’t covered by that. Sounds like Air Help might be worth a try, if there isn’t an obligation to file a claim with them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
Note that we do not endorse third party services like Air Help and certainly don't recommend paying, which I think is what Neil was saying. I have removed the link.

Sep 19, 2015
I would be careful with what you sign with airhelp.

I have to say that I am not impressed with their website. I tried to check on a scenario that should have said no -- ie a US airline going to Europe -- and it still wants my email and then has this

I agree to the Terms and Conditions and the Privacy Statement

The terms and conditions seem to say that one is obligated to airhelp

OP just file with the airline