Damaged Luggage

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 25, 2016
Our luggage was checked on a United flight from Denver to DFW. When it was retrieved one suitcase was torn. I tried to file a claim and was told because the tear was in a seam it was a manufacturing defect and would not be covered. Then I spoke to a supervisor and was told that because the tear was in an outside pocket the damage was not covered and my claim was denied and "those are United's rules." How can they charge you for a service, damage your merchandise and then deny any liability?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Jill, I'll just respond quickly before you move this to the United forum. How old is the suitcase? I would imagine that's how they make those snap judgements at the airport. If it's an outside pocket seam, you can probably get it repaired fairly reasonably.

If you wish, you can write to UA customer service, state the facts and politely ask for compensation. If there's no response in a week, or you don't like what you get, use our Company Contacts and email each executive, one at a time, waiting a week for a response. Good luck and let us know the outcome. You may receive more advice if you move this thread to the United forum.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Jill, I'll just respond quickly before you move this to the United forum. How old is the suitcase? I would imagine that's how they make those snap judgements at the airport. If it's an outside pocket seam, you can probably get it repaired fairly reasonably.

If you wish, you can write to UA customer service, state the facts and politely ask for compensation. If there's no response in a week, or you don't like what you get, use our Company Contacts and email each executive, one at a time, waiting a week for a response. Good luck and let us know the outcome. You may receive more advice if you move this thread to the United forum.
To add to Judy's advice....do not expect United to compensate you to cover the cost of a new suitcase. Before you write to United, I would suggest getting an estimate for the repair work so you can include that with your correspondence. If what you are seeking is a reasonable amount, you are more likely to succeed in getting some compensation. If you are willing to accept a travel voucher or miles (if you have a frequent flyer account) I would state that as well. It will increase your chance for a favorable response. Good luck!

Aug 28, 2015
New York
An outside pocket can easily get snagged on something even if the bag was handled perfectly. Fortunately this repair is minor. Your local shoe repair shop should have a machine to quickly stitch this up for $10 while you wait. You can also go to a leather repair shop or tailor if it has the right kind of sewing machine.