1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Damage claim on Avis rental car with proof....

Discussion in 'Avis/Budget' started by Ginger, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Ginger

that I did not cause damage.

We rented a car at the Honolulu Airport Location February 17, 2017. When we were issued the keys and did the walk around there was a dent on the rear fender. I reported it to the lot manager, he wrote on our rental agreement that it was damaged prior to us taking the car off the lot noting where the damage was located on our rental agreement. In addition, he advised me to take a photo of the damage while we were still in the rental car lot before we left, which I did. When we returned the vehicle, the lot attendant that checked us in walked around the car noticed the damage on the rear fender and asked me about it. I advised her that the Manager noted the damage on our rental agreement when we picked it up and I also took a photo of it in the lot, she asked to see the rental agreement that the manager noted the damage and signed it. When I showed it to her, she said okay, it's good, handed me my receipt and said have a nice day. Four days ago (exactly 30 days from renting the vehicle from Avis) I received a letter from Viking Billing Services on behalf of Avis, advising that I had to pay $623 for the damaged vehicle that I rented from Avis. No details of the damage were noted in the letter, just what we had to pay for the damage and a charge for lost rental revenue. I tried to reach Viking and got a general voice message, of course left a detailed message asking someone to call me and as of today no calls returned. I then called Avis customer service explaining what happen, the customer service person on the phone told me that there was no damage reported or noted in our reservation, and was advised to dispute the claim with VBS as Avis had turned it over to them and there was nothing that he or Avis could do at this point and time. The following day, I then called VBS again and got a live person, explained my situation. I was advised that the person assigned to the claim was off and not back until Monday and he provided me with her email address and asked me to email my information along with all of the back up to her. When I emailed her I asked for a return receipt, which I received, however have had no response and no phone calls returned to any of my 2 phone messages I've left. I am not sure what my recourse is or what next steps to take to action this further if they come back to the back up I've sent that I am still responsible for this damage. I REFUSE to pay this. It's evident that the rental car company is desperate to make money somehow. How can Avis tell me they do not show damage reported when I rented the car and I have all the back up to support that I did not do this. I'm guessing that every poor renter before and after me that had this same vehicle is also receiving notice of the damage. So sad that innocent people are being victimized by these companies.

2. Kahhss

Ginger, please fee free to use the approach I took with Viking about a month ago on a very similar type of claim with Avis. You will find the details in this thread:

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/dealing-with-an-avis-damage-claim.5422/

Please note that my first step was to get off the phone and conduct everything in writing. I suggest you take a similar approach.

Carrie Livingston likes this.
  3. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

And make sure you take a picture of the copy of your agreement showing the clerk signed off on the damage at pick up and a picture of before and after. There should be no problem with them dropping this claim just with the copy of the rental agreement showing the clerk signed it and noted the damage.

4. Ginger

Tha
    Unfortunately I only have a photo of it when I picked it up. However it has the date, time a location. So in sure I'm good there along with the signature on the agreement. I've submitted all in writing along with the name of the customer service agent at Avis along with hi employer number that I spoke to over the phone that told me no damage was noted in our rental.

5. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

You should be fine with just the agreement.

6. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

You should be fine with just the agreement.

7. Ginger

Yes I've read quite a few good tips on this website and will pursue all future coorapondence in writing. Thank you for all the great tips as well.

Carrie Livingston likes this.