Customer Rep says one thing, Technician says another

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I did all of this with ATT U-verse and still got screwed repeatedly. For example, I was promised a promo: channels I did not want but the hook was that my rate would be reduced. Instead, they increased my rate. When I asked to have the increased rate removed 1) they asked where was my proof since the rep did not record what he promised, and 2) the Sup. said, "You enjoyed the channels so pay for them." I had similar problems, one after another. So I cancelling after 18 months, before my 24 months were up.
Yup, ATT is truly impossible to deal with.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I will never claim to be all knowing on any subject but the man I date has worked for a company, for 10years, that contacts with companies (apple, Microsoft, Amazon, Comcast, direct tv, etc) to host their call centers (yes, the ones we call) train their employees, govern their employees, set up the call center network, etc. The sum total of it is quite fascinating. He is my point of contact when someone posts on these forums regarding call center issues. As well as offering my own advice (based on what has worked me) I turn to him and say "what can they, the poster, do?"

So there is definitely durne real wisdom there
Wow, SAS, I'd find his stories and advice absolutely fascinating. You are lucky. What an interesting business to be in. Notice I didn't say great, I said interesting!

Feb 9, 2016
Wow, SAS, I'd find his stories and advice absolutely fascinating. You are lucky. What an interesting business to be in. Notice I didn't say great, I said interesting!
He's the one I ask when someone on here has a call center related issue. Trust me when I say, cs agents will get fired if they do their jobs wrong repeatedly. He's not happy to hear that customers are having these issues, it means that someone at (possibly) his company isn't doing they're job right

Jan 7, 2016
I was happy with Verizon FIOS, they sold to Frontier and everything went south right away. Shortest version of interminable story: they canceled my TV service for no reason. Had no service all July 4th weekend, bummer. 14 calls to customer service, some over 2 hours, resetting boxes, unplugging and replugging 16 sets of wires per their techs in the main box in very hot and humid garage, they busted my internet to a very slow speed, lost my voice mail passwords, a nightmare. 14 calls and 7 days later, tech comes to house, calls his supervisor who presses some button, TV and internet restored in 2 minutes.
Then customer service nightmare started, they voided my contract, put me on monthly instead of a package, sent me a bill for $989 for one month's service (I'm not kidding), piled every option they have onto the bill, none of which I wanted, double-billed me, reps gave me credits which supervisors cancelled, another nightmare. Last rep offered me more channels (I didn't want them) for less money, so took the package. It never went through but my bill went up.
I had documented the name of every rep and the time of every single call, and had notes on what they told me and promised me. I wrote it all up, was polite but very firm, Fedexed it with photocopies of all my notes and bills, sent it to the Exec. VP of Frontier for Customer Service in corporate in Connecticut, asked for assigment to someone in that office who would have authority to fix this mess. Asked them to pull any of the call recordings if they doubted one word of what I was saying . I did the research and found the contacts on my own, and then you published them with more complete information literally the next day, so thank you!

It got there on a Wednesday. I waited in radio silence til the following Monday, sent a polite email asking for her to acknowledge receipt of my Fedexed letter (I gave the time of delivery and the name of the person who signed for it). Got an email two hours later, at night, with an apology (she had been traveling), the name of an Executive Manager in the President's office who would take on my situation and clean it up. Got another email saying she had just read my letter and was totally appalled at what happened, and furious. I replied with relief and acknowledgement at her speedy and direct replies. Manager who had been assigned to me emailed she'd start dealing in the a.m. and when could we talk.
Next morning I was totally pleasant but firm, she was also horrified and apologetic at what a mess Frontier had created and how inconvenienced (putting it mildly) I had been due to nothing I had done. She really kept on top of things, actually pulled the last call and reported to me that she had dealt with that rep as the package was never submitted. Spent several days working on crediting my account, finally determining what package I had in the first place (I was happy with that), gave me realistic price (slightly less than what I had been paying), acknowledged that the package I was promised was impossible (I had said it didn't sound right to me). Gave me one month's free service and $10 a month discount for one year, very nice. Bill amount will finally be corrected on next month's bill, in the meantime, I did get one month free.
As horrible as this experience was, once I got to the upper officers, it was professional, efficient, and pleasant, but then I was at all times polite and firm and didn't give them more agita than needed. This was a nightmare, but for once has a good resolution... and I have her personal email and cell if anything goes wrong again in the future.
Now, if only Frontier would stop sending me empty boxes and labels for me to return or exchange equipment I didn't order and don't have... I'm up to two now. <g>.
Best,
Leslie

Nov 3, 2015
L. Austin, that is a master class in self-advocacy. You kept meticulous records of your contacts, you were polite but persistent, and when nothing else was working, you figured out how to get your case before someone who could untangle it, and got it done.

Bravo!

Jan 7, 2016
Thanks for the acknowledgment! I wrote the "short" version of this (there was more, much more!) :) in the spirit of giving support for the protocols that are suggested for handling problems on this wonderful forum. I hope this is helpful to others so they can save themselves from future nightmares!

Nov 3, 2015
And I'll bet there were times you were ready to alternate between tearing your hair out and wanting to call 'em every name in the book. But you kept your cool and kept your records, and we should all respect the wonderful lessons you offer here!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
My father in law had a habit of going back and forth between the two cable companies here in the North-East- Fios and Cablevision.

He got fed with with Cable a few years ago and my wife helped him change to Fios but she told him this was the last time she was doing it (he's 86 and looks for reasons to complain about something).

She found out from her brother about 7 months ago he switched back to Cable because he got mad at Fios because whenever he called a phone # he didn't know by heart, he would get a message saying the call couldn't be completed.

She had watched him dialing a number once when he got the message and she realized he was dialing too slow. He would dial the area code, then stop to look at the rest of the phone # which took so long that the system thought he was finished dialing.

So he goes back to Cable who promised him more channels at lower prices. He is now paying $50 more a month than he was for less channels. The rep. told him
his bill was going to be a certain amount for certain channels and he didn't get the channels or the price promised.

They are all a bunch of liars.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
@Angel Rodriguez, our Comcast contacts are at http://elliott.org/company-contacts/Comcast/. Since you've already contacted customer service and gotten the run around, use the first executive contact on the list. Send a short, polite email explaining you'd either like your old package back (making your new contract null and void) or the channels you were promised, with a credit for the time you didn't get them.

Wait a week. If you don't get a response, move on to the next executive in the chain. Don't email all of them at once and don't start with the president or CEO.

Good luck.

Jan 7, 2016
Yes, Indeed! And I forgot one important detail: I was informed that the cs rep who sold me an unrealistic package that didn't exist and which actually increased my bill, and specifically lied about it when I read the terms back to him and had him confirm the offer and the order number, was taken off cs calls and was "dealt with" after they listened to the recording of my call with him and confirmed I had quoted him accurately. And this was a guy who boasted he really knew what he was doing and was great at his job, too! <g>

Whenever possible, in dealing with my provider, Cox Communications, I use the "chat" function on line to discuss a problem. It allows me to take a screenshot of the entire conversation. I've never had to use any of these screenshots in a dispute but they're sitting on my laptop just waiting.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Whenever possible, in dealing with my provider, Cox Communications, I use the "chat" function on line to discuss a problem. It allows me to take a screenshot of the entire conversation. I've never had to use any of these screenshots in a dispute but they're sitting on my laptop just waiting.
That's a good plan, George, if you have the patience. Since many of the 'chatters' I've reached can't even understand ONE snafu, dealing with multiple issues would probably take 5 hours of chatting.

Leslie, I empathize with your amazement at how easily this was taken care of at the executive level. I purchased an HP laptop many years ago, it was the most annoying transaction ever, I couldn't even get HP to tell me if it was dual voltage or not ... CS said they "thought so"! Great, I'll plug it in when I get to Europe and if it doesn't blow up I'll know CS was right.

I'm quite lame with computers, and I couldn't make it do anything; if I wanted HP's advice, I had to pay for it. So when I met a VP from Boston on a tour of Egypt, I took the opportunity to tell her what a horrible company she worked for ... despite my husband's pleas. She was very understanding, and when we returned home, I got a call from Mark Hurd's executive assistant to be sure that I had solved all the problems with the HP laptop. Actually, I had at that point, but he gave me his private phone line to be sure I could call if I became frustrated in the future. Really impressed me.

I often have sympathy for executives of companies that continually screw up customer service ... it must be maddening to work so hard and know that the rank & file are negating everything with the customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.