COX TELEVISON AND INTERNET SERVICE

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 19, 2016
I have TV, Internet and telephone service with Cox Communications, the rival company of Comcast in Tucson, AZ. In January on a Sat. I discovered I had no internet service and called Cox support. Cox has call centers all over the U. S. and supposedly the people you are connected with are qualified technicians.
The woman I spoke with took me through the usual procedure of unplugging and plugging the modem and router to no avail. She determined I needed a new modem(the modems are leased from Cox not owned) and scheduled a service call for Sunday. She did not say or indicate I would be charged for a service call.

On Sunday the service technician showed up and determined the modem was fine, made a few adjustments, checked I had internet service and left. At no time did the technician present me with any documentation, notifying or telling me I would be charged for a service call.

When I received my bill I was suprised to see that I was charged $75 for a service call. I immediately called
Cox; I was told by the billing representative she had no authority over this charge. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told I would receive a call back within 48 hours, which I did not. Subsequently I talked to 4 different billing persons and finally got through to a supervisor. I had also sent an e-mail to Cox regarding this charge to which I received no answer. The supervisor told me the charge was valid; I ask for documentation showing I had authorized and was notified of such a charge.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
@BETH ALLEN,

Normally the cable providers hide the service charge fees in the initial contract. However, if they lease you the modem then if the modem is faulty you shouldn't be charged for the call. If the wiring in the home was faulty, for example, then you would. But Cox is notorious for charging for service calls for everything.

http://elliott.org/company-contacts/cox-communications/ has our company contact list. Start with the primary contact and send them a short, polite email explaining the situation and asking the charge be reversed or ask for documentation the charge is valid. Don't email all the contacts at once and don't start with the CEO. Wait a week, if you get no reply move onto the next contact.

I should mention - if you've not changed the default password on your modem, please do so. Manufacturer passwords are readily available and people can steal your internet if you don't change the modem password.

Good luck and let us know of any questions or updates.

I've had a similar situation with Cox but instead of arranging a service call I carried the suspect equipment to our local Cox office at a mall 15 minutes away from home and made an exchange, at no charge. If there's a record of a tech rep telling you the part is faulty then there is usually no charge, even if the part turns out to be OK.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Beth, before you proceed, I'd advise you to check your contract to see if you're responsible for service charges, and under what circumstances. Then you'll have a strong argument to present.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
There is no contract.
I assure you there is. Even if you have month to month service, there is still a contract that specifies what your responsibilities are and what theirs are. You agreed to it when you signed up for service.

If they're anything like TWC good luck trying to find it, which is why I suggest you place the burden on them.

Feb 19, 2016
I assure you there is. Even if you have month to month service, there is still a contract that specifies what your responsibilities are and what theirs are. You agreed to it when you signed up for service.

If they're anything like TWC good luck trying to find it, which is why I suggest you place the burden on them.
I have asked for all documentation in support of the charge--we'll see what happens.
I don't have a copy of any contract; I believe the service was set up by an independent company.