Cox broke the phone/cable connection

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 6, 2016
This post is for my parents house.

They have had their house for many, many, years. They have had Cox cable TV and Internet for a few years. They decided to switch their Verizon landline phone to a VoIP through Cox through something like a triple play. Cox came out and now the phone doesn't work nor the cable tv. And the internet is intermittent. Cox says they have to build some new lines and they can't get out until June 10th. The problem started May 16th. They keep calling Cox but keep getting disconnected or not getting an answer other than June 10th. Is there anything or else they should do other than contacting the company contacts listed on this board? Northern Virginia area.

Feb 9, 2016
This post is for my parents house.

They have had their house for many, many, years. They have had Cox cable TV and Internet for a few years. They decided to switch their Verizon landline phone to a VoIP through Cox through something like a triple play. Cox came out and now the phone doesn't work nor the cable tv. And the internet is intermittent. Cox says they have to build some new lines and they can't get out until June 10th. The problem started May 16th. They keep calling Cox but keep getting disconnected or not getting an answer other than June 10th. Is there anything or else they should do other than contacting the company contacts listed on this board? Northern Virginia area.
My first thought is, Cox is supposed to be providing a service for a fee. You parents are not getting the service for the fee they are being charged. Since Cox broke the items, they either need to NOT be paying for the items or pay for them at a HUGE discount.

idk about getting Cox out any earlier tho. You could always try pleading with Cox from a humanistic point of view - "my parents are not in good health, it is imperative that I am able to call/text/email to check up on them and it is imperative that they be able to cal/text/email for medical help"

Even if they are the picture of health. Try that.

Feb 6, 2016
They are in good health. I'm here for the weekend and it is affecting my ability to use internet, hence why I brought it up. Cox says it takes a that long because they need utilities folks to come out.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Here are the contacts for Cox Communications.
http://elliott.org/company-contacts/cox-communications/

At the very least your parents need to get a credit for the amount of time they have been without service. You at least know when the service hopefully is going to be restored. And likely there is nothing you can do to speed that up.
Stop calling and start with the online form and get Cox to agree in writing to give your folks a credit and it would not be unreasonable to ask for an extra month for the inconvenience of having no service for nearly a month.
Be polite, brief and clear. This correspondence needs to appear it's coming from their customer (your parents) and not from someone who is not their client. Hang up the phone as any promises made verbally can not be proven.
Good luck and let us know how you make out. Also if any of our contacts are no longer correct please let us know.

Start with the online form, wait a week and more onto the primary contact, moving up the ladder is you don't get a response you like. Do not contact everyone at once....

Last edited:
Is there a Cox retail outlet nearby in Northern Virginia? You could take the questionable modem,router or other equipment there and try to exchange it.

Also, Cox has a "chat" option on its site. If you log into your parents' account and start a chat with a technical representative you can take a screen shot of it as proof of whatever was promised.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Is there a Cox retail outlet nearby in Northern Virginia? You could take the questionable modem,router or other equipment there and try to exchange it.

Also, Cox has a "chat" option on its site. If you log into your parents' account and start a chat with a technical representative you can take a screen shot of it as proof of whatever was promised.
I don't think it's the equipment (partly) but I believe the real issue is the lines inside the house or too the house. So not sure that will help our Letter Writer.

I don't think it's the equipment (partly) but I believe the real issue is the lines inside the house or too the house. So not sure that will help our Letter Writer.
Probably not, but these issues developed when the techs started playing around with their connection and in my mind that may not be a coincidence. I've heard the "...build some new lines..." type excuse myself and it turned out not to be the case. Just trying to cover all the possibilities.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Call Cox and tell them to send someone out tomorrow. I had a time warner issue last Friday night, a tech was here Saturday morning at 8 am. Otherwise you may be in for a long weekend. :)

Feb 6, 2016
Thanks for the input. What I posted was what I heard from my mom. I got a different story from my dad.

When they came to add VoIP phone service, they put in a splitter. That is what made the signal bad. They went back up to the top of the driveway to find out why, and found that the network box was full of mud and gravel from excessive rain. They need a network engineer to clean that out, and he has to do it with the utility folks to get in there. Further, the distance between the driveway and house is too long for their current technology and they need to put in new wiring which is not simple. They came out on Friday and told my dad all this. The "intermittent" internet we now have is a new line they created to a different room that doesn't have any splitter.

So I understand why it could take a little while. But I'm leaving Monday back to my house.

Last edited: