couldn't change flight despite Flexibility option

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 24, 2018
I had a one-way trip for two of us booked from Fort Myers to Boston this weekend. We had booked the other way on another airline, due to scheduling. The flight on the other airline was cancelled due to storm Toby. Since I had purchased a package with Spirit that included the ability to change our time/dates, I looked into doing so. My choice was for a flight about a month out. I checked out that particular flight on the Spirit website, but did so as an anonymous user, i.e., not logged into the user id under which I booked the original flights. Looked really good - dozens of open seats, including 6 'big seats' which we had originally paid for.
However, when I went to change our flights, and put in my choice of the date of this flight that I had checked out - the website told me there were no seats available. At all! Didn't make sense, so I reluctantly called Spirit. Takes a bit of doing to get through, but I eventually did. And I went back on to their website anonymously to view the desired flight while we spoke. The CSR too said, nope, All the flights that day were sold out. I tried to explain that I was looking at the seating chart for that flight, and there were MANY seats available. Her only explanation was that other people might be booking those as we speak. (I have since logged on in the passing 6-8 hours and there remains puh-lenty of open seats, and still lots of the Big Front Seats.)
As I had to get on with the rest of my life, and the time of the original flight was approaching 24 hours away, I just ended up cancelling the reservation: $200 in cancellation fees, and I have to use the remaining credit in 60 days. OK, that was in the contract, but my question is - why wouldn't Spirit allow me to book those obviously open seats, and instead falsely tell me the flight was completely booked? And that is what I want - to be able to change my flight - no fees, since I paid for that option - to the desired flight a month out.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I am confused as to what happened. Your flight on another airline coming home was canceled and you want to take the ticket you had on Spirit flyung to Boston and change it to the returning? How were you then going to get to Boston?

I have never heard of a flight that allowed you to change time and dates. Can you point us to exactly what you bought so we can see exactly what you bought. Then we can advise you.

Mar 24, 2018
Home is Boston. I had an outgoing flight Boston to Fort Myers on another airline. That flight was canceled by the other airline. So I could not (physically!) fly home on a flight booked on Spirit back from Fort Myers to home (Boston.)
Spirit offers an option called 'Flight Flex' as part of a bundle when you book your flight. This is their definition: "FLIGHT FLEX No Change Fees! Modify for FREE via Spirit.com up to 24 hours before departure - Subject to fare difference."

But when I tried to do a change to a flight in April they claimed the flight that I wanted was sold out. I could easily see that it most certainly was not sold out!
Hope that clarifies -

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
All I have is sympathy ... Spirit did not get its reputation by being service-oriented. There are so many passengers clamoring for the cheapest flights that they don't need to be bothered with a customer who needs to change anything. You did the right thing by cancelling, I'm sorry you're not in Florida with your toes in the sand right now.

Sep 19, 2015
I am not sure I understand. An open seat chart does not mean that the flight was not sold out. All it means is that the seats are not assigned. Did you try to buy a seat via the web and stop before hitting confirm?

Some people do not want to pay for a seat assignments in advance.

Mar 24, 2018
I am not sure I understand. An open seat chart does not mean that the flight was not sold out. All it means is that the seats are not assigned. Did you try to buy a seat via the web and stop before hitting confirm?

Some people do not want to pay for a seat assignments in advance.
Yes, I went through purchasing a ticket on the April flight without completing it to see the seat assignments. It was willing to sell me one!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We have company contacts on top of our pages. Read the information on how to write going up the corporate ladder. I think you need to bring this to the attention of management in writing. Don’t bother over the phone - they can’t do what writing can do.