1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Comcast Help

Discussion in 'Comcast' started by Stefan, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Stefan

Hello,
    Sorry if I ramble.
    I'm new here, but going through a Comcast nightmare and I refuse to pay an early termination fee for. I might be proactive here, but this is ridiculous.
    I am moving to a new apartment and signed the lease in early November. My move in date is 12/21.
    I have the unusual luxury of two cable companies in my area, has to do with local law and cable companies that want to hook up... Comcast and Bright House. Personally I am of a fan of Comcast cable, if you never need to talk to anyone it is a great service.
    I currently have the X1 service and like it.
    On 11/30 I called Comcast to move my service to a new address, the new address is an apartment complex about five blocks from where I currently live. I was told that the current resident hadn't canceled their cable and there was nothing they could do.... I was advised to knock on the current tenets door and ask them to cancel their service. I declined and was put off (as you can imagine).
    On 12/7 I called Comcast once again, and I couldn't transfer my service because the person that lived there hadn't decided to cancel their service. Comcast told me I was too early and nothing to worry about. Once again I was told to ask the resident to cancel their service or I could take my lease down to the local office and maybe they could help.
    I was close to going to Bright House, but they said give it a week and:
    On 12/14 I called the moving service at Comcast, once again the person that lives there hadn't canceled their service so I couldn't schedule a move. They would do nothing for me.
    I like the Comcast service (if you don't need to talk to them), I believe I tried to transfer my service. At one point they told me it would be illegal if I hooked up service unless they had proof,
    Comcast wasn't willing to hook up my cable? Though Bright House will schedule an appointment and meet me for service.
    I paid for Bright House this morning. When I called Comcast about canceling this evening they threatened me with early termination. Well, I can be an nasty, but you can imagine my ire.
    Please help.
    Best,
    Stefan

2. Rebecca

I just moved and also have Comcast. I called the day before and just plugged the old boxes into the new house. My guess is the person living there doesn't plan on calling until right before or after they leave.

FWIW, because I hate calling comcast and their endless voice prompt system, I will tell you a trick. To ALWAYS get an agent in the US, and not just a script reader, choose the Spanish option. It's much easier to get a rep, they're all fluent in English, and they're normally able to assist much more easily. Just don't tell them you did it. They get "overflow" calls relatively often. When they answer in Spanish, just start speaking English and say you don't know how you got there.

JVillegirl541 and jsn55 like this.
  3. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

Well, Stefan, I am not clear on every little detail of your post, but I will advise you based on my sense of the situation.

It seems to me that you need to review your contract with ComCast and see what the agreement states. If there's an early term fee, then you probably owe it if you terminate. I would ascertain how much it is and if you are willing to live with it if you go ahead with the installation from BrightHouse.

I don't see how ComCast can install at your new apartment if the current tenant has not disconnected, which probably won't happen until they move out. Wouldn't the best way be having ComCast come out and install after you've made the move?

So now you need to review the agreement with BrightHouse to see if you can cancel it ... or just go ahead with them and pay the termination fee to ComCast. My colleagues may have more experience with this kind of thing and perhaps have some other ideas for you.

Neil likes this.
  4. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Have you considered knocking on the tenants door and advising them of the issue? Maybe they don't know about this either for where they are moving to.

Otherwise, before doing anything with Brighthouse, I'd bring my box and hook it up at the new apartment and see if it works.

5. Stefan

Thanks for your reply!
    From 11/30 on I've always talked to a live person. My wife and I need internet given our jobs. I like the Comcast X1 service, just not anymore.
    I've talked to multiple agents (about seven) with accents that certainly seem US located.
    I'm not worried about plugging in, I started on 11/30 for an agent to make sure everything works. Here we are a week before the move and Comcast won't even confirm the move.

6. Stefan

I'll just go in hard like SWAT and demand they end their cable. I think you're missing the point of how cable works.

7. Stefan

You are correct and have an excellent point. But, I've tried to move my service. The tenant that lives there isn't my problem. I've been trying since 11/30 to move and Comcast refuses. We go round and round but it seems Comcast's opinion is that it is my problem. If Comcast refuses to move my service in a place I live, they are at fault, as I said I'm the guy that is jumping up and down outside the apartment as the moving truck is there.

8. Stefan

Here is the thing, you can run my account (well you can't but some verified person on this site can) ... never paid Comcast late once. Tried to move my service, wanted X1 over Bright House any day of the week. Tried for a month, they just refuse because somebody didn't cancel their service . My wife and I need to make sure the internet is working. I don't think it is unreasonable to try and schedule something on 11/30, 12/7, 12/14. If at that point Comcast is unwilling to move me I think they are in breach of contract.

9. Realitoes

If your move in date is 12/21, how would Comcast be able to move your service before that date. Have you even taken possession of the apartment? Is there still someone living in the apartment? If so, they have a right to keep their service until they move out. With any utilities, you will need to wait until the previous tenant has cancelled their service or you have taken possession of the property.

Neil likes this.
  10. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

And perhaps that is the problem. They won't take the order until you actually move and the tenant has canceled his service.
    Here are our executive contacts at Comcast, try writing to the first one and ask them to explain their process:

http://elliott.org/company-contacts/comcast/

11. cp556

cp556 Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Just wondering if you're getting the same sort of answer from the power company (assuming you pay your own power bill at the new apartment).

Perhaps the rental manager at the new place can be of assistance ... asking the current tenant if they could advise Comcast of the date they wish to terminate service. Worth asking (and less confrontational with the tenant, I'd think).

technomage1 likes this.
  12. Berkinet2

I am still unclear on what the real issue is here. You wanted Comcast to turn on your new service prior to your move-in date. They said they cannot do that while the previous tenant is still working in your new location. That makes perfect sense to me. Comcast's cable enters the building and is then distributed to each apartment via a coax cable run. As long as the previous tenant is in the unit, it is not possible for Comcast to connect another service over the same coax.
    If Comcast did as you asked, they would have to shut-off the service to the current customer and resident of the apartment. They cannot arbitrarily do that. That is why they asked you to talk to the tenant and see if they would agree to an early cancellation of service. It is not Comcast's job, and would be quite inappropriate, to ask one customer to cancel their service to allow another customer to establish service.
    It appears Comcast was willing to call your change of residence as a continuation of service (rather than a disconnect and new connect) and not charge you a termination fee.
    Now, when you decided to switch carriers to Bright House, you were simply ending your Comcast service, and exposing yourself to the termination charges defined in your contract.
    You can certainly try to appeal to the Comcast executives listed on the contact list. However, given the fact you are cancelling your service at your own volition, after what seems to be some contentious contacts with the Comcast agents, it seems unlikely they will offer you anything.
    I'd say the only option you have to avoid the termination fee is to cancel the Bright-House installation and continue with Comcast.

Neil likes this.
  13. technomage1

Staff Member Advocate

I actually had a similar problem with my move 2 months ago and Time Warner Internet. I need Internet as well since I go to school online. It's frustrating that people don't provide notice to cable companies they're moving until the last second. They don't realize (or care) the new tenant can't schedule until they do.

My issue was actually solved by the local Time Warner rep calling the previous tenant and scheduling the disconnect with her, then calling me back and scheduling my connect. It took him a week to do it, but it was done and I had service on my move in day. I was kind of suprised I got that level of service as Time Warner has a similar reputation as Comcast - great until you need to talk to somebody.

If Comcast doesn't have a local rep and big corporate doesn't care (neither did Time Warners in my case) I would follow cp556s advice and ask your new landlord to talk to the old tenant.

As annoying as it is, the fact is Comcasts hands are tied without getting service cancellation from the prior tenant. Your beef is with the prior tenant more than Comcast, I think.

Neil likes this.
  14. Mike Z

Staff Member Advocate

Stefan, the reason that the other company was willing to schedule an appointment was because they aren't showing current service at that address right now. If the current tenant didn't have Comcast, then Comcast would have scheduled a date to come out and get service connected.

Your problem is that you kept trying to call and get an appointment and wrap things up well in advance of when they could be done. You cannot force the old tenant to cancel before they leave, so why are you getting so upset? At most I would contact the office at the new complex and explain what is going on. they may ask the old tenant to schedule a shut off date, but even then they cannot force the tenant to do anything before they are supposed to leave. Once your lease is effective, you can contact the company and change the service into your name as you have a legally binding agreement for that address.

Neil likes this.