Comcast delivered two phones to my home that I didn't order.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 22, 2017
I posted here a few days ago about someone hacking into my Comcast account and ordering several phones but it appears that post has disappeared. I called Comcast that day and alerted them of the fraudulent order and they said to change my password and they would take care of the rest. Today two boxes arrived at my home from Comcast/Xfinity Mobile addressed to someone else. My wife signed for the boxes without looking at who they were addressed to. The fedex guy commented to her he would have left the boxes had she not been there. I figure one of my neighbors is the scumbag who ordered them in hopes that fedex would have just left them there so he/she could steal them. That is the only thing that makes any sense in this. So I called Comcast and waited on hold 45 minutes and after finally getting someone on the phone they tell me I need to ship them back to xfinity. I told them I had already taken up way to much of my time due to their poor security and that I would not drive 30 minutes out of my way to return their stuff and that if they wanted them they could send fedex to my home to get them. The comcast operator said they would not do that so I told her to have her supervisor call me because I was not going to waste any more of my time on hold. Since its Comcast I have a better chance of winning the lottery than have one of their employees call for customer service.

My question is am I in any way responsible for fixing there screw up and can I be charged for something I didn't order? I live in Arizona if that matters.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Who ARE the boxes addressed to? If it is neither you nor your wife, call FedEx and say, you're sorry, these packages do not belong to you. Please come get them. Also, take pictures of the entire box with labels. (I am assuming you did not open them....)

Aug 22, 2017
My wife signed for them so I don't know if they will take them back. I didn't open them and they are addressed to the person Xfinity mobile said hacked into my account. But its my physical address but some guy I've never heard of.

Aug 22, 2017
I called the police the day it happened and they told me to call back during business hours so I could make an appointment with a detective. Unfortunately, they could not care less.

Jan 6, 2015
I queried their virtual assistant and received this reply:

FedEx: Hello, I'm the FedEx Virtual Assistant. I'm here to help you with your questions regarding FedEx® services.

You: delivered to my house but wrong addressee

FedEx: If your package was delivered to the wrong address or you received a package that is not yours, you will need to contact a FedEx Customer Service representative.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I queried their virtual assistant and received this reply:

FedEx: Hello, I'm the FedEx Virtual Assistant. I'm here to help you with your questions regarding FedEx® services.

You: delivered to my house but wrong addressee

FedEx: If your package was delivered to the wrong address or you received a package that is not yours, you will need to contact a FedEx Customer Service representative.
You should go on to say "I believe my identity has been stolen and these were shipped by people who intended to steal them from my home. What do you suggest I do?"

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
I realize this is a PITA but I would go to the police station and file a report. Then if it's feasible, I would return the equipment physically to Comcast and make them give you a receipt for this. I would also check your account either online or while you are their location to see if these phones were charged to you and if so, make them remove the charge. After this, I would start with the lowest executive and make a bullet-pointed list explaining what happened and how you would like some sort of credit for your time in dealing with their mistake.

Have you changed your password yet? I use a program called SplashID to keep track of all my passwords. It has a password to get in and it's on my computer and an app on my phone so I have it at all times. It will generate passwords for you based on certain parameters and I use that feature frequently to make it harder to hack into my accounts. If you're on Facebook, don't copy and paste "surveys" where you answer questions about family, growing up, etc. Those are common password recovery questions that a hacker can use to get into your online accounts.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Do you have a Comcast store or office near your house? After filing the police report and a report with FedEx, bring copies of both reports and the phones to the Comcast office, and stand there until the manager gives you a receipt for them. Get the manager's name and position, and make sure the time and date is noted on the receipt. Wouldn't hurt to take a picture of the receipt and the phones together, either.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
Do you have a Comcast store or office near your house? After filing the police report and a report with FedEx, bring copies of both reports and the phones to the Comcast office, and stand there until the manager gives you a receipt for them. Get the manager's name and position, and make sure the time and date is noted on the receipt. Wouldn't hurt to take a picture of the receipt and the phones together, either.
And the manager.

Sep 19, 2015
I had not focused on the local issue, which the OP and Neil mentioned. There had to be someone local, what is the point of ordering something as a thief if said thief cannot get their hands on it. So there has to be a local threat so to say, which is why it would be good to report it. If the local pattern gets significant enough the police will have to devote resources to it.

Dec 7, 2017
SoCal - EAST
My wife signed for them so I don't know if they will take them back. I didn't open them and they are addressed to the person Xfinity mobile said hacked into my account. But its my physical address but some guy I've never heard of.
most likely the theives were going to stalk your house and porch pirate them off your porch after they were delivered -

Porch pirates follow the trucks around - they play the odds you are not home during the day - they wait for the 'not home' form to be posted on the door- they then steal the form, go online, complete an alternate delivery to let them pick it up = and they use a stolen identity to grab the phones - or - simply stand in your doorway and collect them. It's all very organized.

It's simple: call Comcast - have them look up the prior report, and have them issue the return shipping label. I would NOT take them to a Comcast store because that is NOT a return channel - they'll screw it up.

Aug 22, 2017
Its gotten worse. On Saturday the scumbag who hacked into my account and ordered the phones showed up at my door when I was at work. My wife answered the door and the guy said someone at our home signed for his packages from Fedex and he wanted them. My wife slammed the door and ran and hid in the house. The guy kept ringing the bell which woke up our pit bull and drove her into a rage when she saw my wife was scared. My wife froze and did not call the cops. Luckily he didn't push his way into the door before she could close it. When I got home she told me and I called the cops and filed a report. The cop was even surprised he came for the packages but he honestly said it would take miracle to catch the guy without more info. My wife gave a description of the guy and I gave him the contact number for the fraud department at Comcast. My wife has been scared to leave the house ever since. On Saturday, before I knew about the guy came to our home, I emailed the primary contact person listed in this form for Comcast, Charlie Herrin, and told him about the problem. As of today, Tuesday afternoon, I have not heard anything back from Mr. Herrin. And to top it all off, when I log into my Comcast account it says I'm pending Xfinity mobile service for the 2 phones. I am really pissed off about all of this.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
You might just want to install one of those “Video” Door Bell Cameras that are being advertised all over the media. Some actually have motion detection and infared for nighttime and record playback. All operated by Wi-Fi and accessible on your cell phone or computer. Easy to install and less than $150.... what happened to your wife is very scary!

Jan 6, 2015
Have you contacted FedEx yet to have them pick up the errant shipment? Once they do that the response to anyone can be: "We sent it back as it was an order we did not place".

That's a non-confrontational way to end the matter ...

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I suspected this was going to happen. Its too bad your wife didn't call the cops because they could have arrested him. But now cops are aware of this w at least you have a police report on file and the police are aware of this scam.

Did you contact Comcast and provide them with a copy of the police report to get your account frozen?