Comcast and billing and service issues for seniors

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 24, 2017
I signed up for bundled basic TV and internet service (renamed Blast Plus to charge more). Despite multiple service visits the service and equipment are poor and I have gotten high bills as many as 3 bills in one month..
It is not a matter of what I chose to pay but that I agreed to pay for basic service. That is what I have despite renaming the basic service.
It is harming my health by harassing me esp. as I am in the middle of the complaint process.
I feel threatened by Comcast yet as a consumer I am entitled to pursue complaints
I continue to request a contact Comcast phone number to call as Comcast stated that episodic auto shutdown of services will continue ( 3 so far...2 shutdowns on a Saturday effectively isolating me and preventing me from accessing health info and emergency contact numbers) while I am pursuing my complaints. I pay my basic fee on time every month.

Feb 9, 2016
I don't know that this is a 'billing issue for seniors' as much as it is an inconvenience to any customer.

So your complaint is that, despite multiple visits by a technician, the service is poor - can you define 'poor'?

As far as the shut downs are concerned, since they did not provide service, I would ask for those days free/credited off your bill.

What exactly is the resolution that you seek?

Feb 9, 2016
resolution is to pay for basic service that I agreed to $88.00
When you call these centers, be sure to ask for the name, location and representative ID of the person you are speaking with. Write that down. Then note the date and time you called. Take notes about what was communicated. Tell the CS rep "hang on, i need to write this down..." At the end fo the conversation, recap the discussion with the rep "So we agreed that this is what would occur....., correct?"

All conversations are recorded and sometimes computer screens are screen captured. if you get into a situation where it becomes a he said-she said, call and ask to speak to a floor supervisor and then indicate what is going on and ask for a resolution and/or ask to listen to the recording of the call. This is why it's important to have detailed notes in regards to the conversation, so you can say "on this date, at this time, I spoke with this person. they said X, let's listen to the call".

You are also less likely to get 'accidentally' disconnected if the rep knows that you have their IDs.

What is the nature/reason they are charging you more? have you asked them? what have they told you?

Last edited:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Mary, without knowing exactly what's been happening, it's difficult to advise you on specifics. Am I reading that they're cutting off your internet for periods of time? Why are they doing this? What reason are they giving you? Why are you describing your service as "poor"? What is lacking in your service? What steps have you taken so far to get this resolved? Are they billing you incorrectly? Do they tell you what you have signed up for and how much it should cost? Do they explain why they're not billing you correctly? Why aren't you able to obtain a phone number for them? How did you sign up for the service originally? If they are harrassing and/or threatening you, perhaps a complaint to your local Public Utilities Commission (so-named in California, your state may be different) is in order. I'm sure that we could help you, but need to know exactly what the circumstances are.

Oct 24, 2017
When you call these centers, be sure to ask for the name, location and representative ID of the person you are speaking with. Write that down. Then note the date and time you called. Take notes about what was communicated. Tell the CS rep "hang on, i need to write this down..." At the end fo the conversation, recap the discussion with the rep "So we agreed that this is what would occur....., correct?"

All conversations are recorded and sometimes computer screens are screen captured. if you get into a situation where it becomes a he said-she said, call and ask to speak to a floor supervisor and then indicate what is going on and ask for a resolution and/or ask to listen to the recording of the call. This is why it's important to have detailed notes in regards to the conversation, so you can say "on this date, at this time, I spoke with this person. they said X, let's listen to the call".

You are also less likely to get 'accidentally' disconnected if the rep knows that you have their IDs.

What is the nature/reason they are charging you more? have you asked them? what have they told you?

Because of abuse by Comcast customer service I only communicate with Comcast by email. Everything is in writing. They have cut me off from service x3 (2 Saturdays) because I pursue complaints with state of FL, FCC, FTC, AARP, BBB etc. No access to internet eliminates my access to healthcare info and portal and no access to emergency numbers and Comcast number to restore service- last Saturday it affected by B/P and I ended up in ER. This isolates a senior. I pay my basic fee every month on time while the complaint is being evaluated. My understanding is the basic service fees are controlled by the states so Comcast renamed it Blast Plus with no change in basic service just renaming so they can charge more. I have gotten bills with different amounts, due dates and even sending me 3 bills in one month.

On Monday Comcast replied, after I informed them of my ER visit, that they will continue to randomly shut down my service.

To give you an idea of how seniors are treated I am including this FB page -

150,472 shares on FB previous comments - 30,965

Brent Cox

July 29 at 6:10pm ·

Update on bottom, 8/6

So my nice 84 year old neighbor whom is a widower and US Army Veteran recently asked me how much I pay for my Comcast bill. I said "well for the triple play with taxes and fees it's usually around $150 a month". He then told me his bill is $240 a month. Astonished to see such a bill for one person I asked to see it. After I looked at it, I asked if he uses his DVR. He said he never has and doesn't even know how to, and he does not even know why he has it. I then (with his permission) called Comcast. I spoke with a guy named Orlanda rep #48329, whom was an uncaring, inconsiderate, jerk. I asked a ton of questions. My neighbor has been a Comcast customer since 1972. He has been paying $20 a month for DVR since 2009 that he has not used once. My neighbor somehow is also being charged another $40 a month for extra TV boxes that aren't used. Somehow he is in a contract for 9 more months that he has no recollection of being in. The rep was not helpful one bit and put all the blame on my neighbor. This is elder abuse and exploitation. Please share this and check in on your elderly friends and family to make sure they aren't falling victim to the same con. #comcast

(Update, Comcast has claimed they fixed this, they only did the minimal they thought was right. Just a tiny reduction to his bill. They need to do much more. We calculated that he has been swindled out of over $7,000 just these past 9 years. Please keep sharing and contact your local media outlets, thanks!!)

Last edited:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
No matter what your age, if you aren't able to understand exactly what you're buying from anyone, especially service providers like ComCast, get someone to help you. The reps will just sell people as much as they possibly can, they are compensated on their ability to upsell customers. They have no idea how old someone is or what their cognitive capabilities are when they call.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They actually sent you an email saying they would continue shutting down your service? Can you copy and paste the email you received?

You have every government entity that can help you that you have written to - what have the responses been from them?

Sep 19, 2015
I think there is a misunderstanding on the offerings of the cable company which is not surprising given that there are so many different ones.

Here is what I take from this.

I signed up for bundled basic TV and internet service (renamed Blast Plus to charge more). Despite multiple service visits the service and equipment are poor and I have gotten high bills as many as 3 bills in one month..
It is not a matter of what I chose to pay but that I agreed to pay for basic service. That is what I have despite renaming the basic service.

Blast Plus is an older program but it is not a Basic TV and Internet service. It came out in 2012 and it had strong enough internet to allow streaming and allowed access to a digital library. It is not a renamed Basic Service

It is harming my health by harassing me esp. as I am in the middle of the complaint process.
I feel threatened by Comcast yet as a consumer I am entitled to pursue complaints
I continue to request a contact Comcast phone number to call as Comcast stated that episodic auto shutdown of services will continue ( 3 so far...2 shutdowns on a Saturday effectively isolating me and preventing me from accessing health info and emergency contact numbers) while I am pursuing my complaints. I pay my basic fee on time every month.[/QUOTE
]

Have you asked for the minimum service and not have the digital library. Also please note that prices are valid only for the first 12 months and likely increase after 12 months.

I have attached a copy of the blast plus package

Attachments

Oct 24, 2017
They actually sent you an email saying they would continue shutting down your service? Can you copy and paste the email you received?

You have every government entity that can help you that you have written to - what have the responses been from them?

I have lengthy email documentation and now they have completely shut me down as of Thursday 10/26/17as a result of complaint to Florida (Comcast was informed my case was closed and they felt free to shut me down) The service was closed while complaints to FCC and FTC have not been resolved. I pay the basic rate on time. Florida complaint was closed based on false documentation by Comcast. The info I sent them all was I wanted only basic service for TV/internet. Comcast has registered I agreed to Blast Plus as my service even though yesterday by phone they stated Blast Plus is really a tier 2 basic service with a few more TV channels. Allegedly internet service is faster but it can take up to 5 minutes to access email. Service calls have not improved anything. The reality is they jammed more people on my internet access. Because they have labeled my service Blast Plus, added streaming etc to my bill (never agreed to it never used it) They continue to harass me for being late in paying for extra services. I have had bills upwards of $500 added to my monthly bill. Most written communication to them states I want and have basic service. Even as late as when they shut me down I called administrative offices and nowhere on my account does it show my continued request for basic services only. Dealing with them raised my blood pressure and when they randomly without notice cut service last Saturday I ended up in emergency treated with intravenous medication. I got a call yesterday and requested all the information regarding basic services and billing be submitted to me in writing as I will not agree to anything verbally with them. So I do not have services they still insist I still owe hundreds and basic service fees without promotion will probably be raised in January.

Oct 24, 2017
Corporate Escalation

Sent By:

Sent By CENFLR-TeamExec On:Oct 10/24/17 11:01 AM

To:

To maryma1@comcast.net

Cc:

Cc CENFLR-TeamExec

"CENFLR-TeamExec" <T...< span>
+ Add to Address Book

Good morning Ms. Marcus,

How are you, we spoke briefly this morning and you asked me to send you our final positon via email. In reviewing the account it appears that you have been paying a different amount than due(underpaying). In doing this the system will automatically shut down your services, as a way to get your attention and let you know there is a matter that needs to be addressed.

I understand from our brief conversation that you may feel that the amount you are sending in should suffice or is what you may have paid in the past but the billing appears to be correct, I didn’t find any billing discrepancies. If you continue to pay less than what the monthly statement due indicates your services will continue to accumulate, late fees and will be interrupted and moving forward we will not be able to reinstate your services until the balance is paid in full.

I want to share with you that our services may increase in price if a promotion ends or we have a rate increase. You can contact us and we will go over the billing with you and let you know if there are anyway to help bring down the bill. This is Comcast’s final position on the billing. We value you as a customer and want to continue our relationship with you, please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Regards,

Seth L.

Florida Executive Customer Relations

Office: 561-227-3427

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Mary, how long ago did you originally sign up with Comcast for the $88? From the correspondence from the other entities, it sounds like you may have signed up for a promo that ended.

If it has been more than a year or two- this is how promo rates work. The rate is not forever

That's the one piece of info we seem to be missing.

Oct 24, 2017
Never signed for anything. Not sure when billed changed. It was very confusing. My idea was to continue with original payment and clarify services and fees in writing - Comcast (Seth) stated on 10/27/17 I underpaid from March of this year. Of course this was stated on the phone as my service was shut down so it was verbal. I have been pressured to negotiate bill rates on the phone only and they record it. I did not agree to anything verbally and not in writing either.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Mary, I would advise that you gather all your paperwork, notes and whatever. Find someone who can understand this convoluted situation and advise you on how to deal with it. I now understand that your service has been shut down for lack of payment, so it's important that you reach out to someone who can grasp all the details and advise you. If ComCast states that you owe them money, they'll come after you for it, and will send it to collections if you are unable or unwilling to pay what they say you owe. It's just too much at this point for you to deal with on our own. You need someone to sit down with you for a full review and who will communicate with ComCast together with you.

@Mary Marcus , there must be a local Senior Center where volunteers can help you sort this out. Start with your City or Town and if they can't help, move on to your County. Florida has an abundance of seniors and there are lots of resources available to help you handle consumer issues.

Problems and confusion with CATV companies must be near the top of the list of consumer problems that these volunteers deal with, and chances are you'll find someone who can at least explain where you stand and what your options are.