Claim taken care of without any proof!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 25, 2020
I had rented a car in October and received a 800$ invoice in December. I had not known about the whole scam and looked at these forums. So I did what these forums told me to do. Here are the excerpts :

"I would like to have my claim reviewed by the company. The car that was rented on Oct 6-Oct 11th 2019. Prior to renting the car there were marks on the car which I spoke to the attendant, he wrote them down on the rental agreement papers. During the use of the car for the 5 days, there were no accidents or bumps during the time. As I returned the car on the 11th, once again the attendant did not notice any new bumps or scars on the car and wrote it down on the receipt. According the the photos that were given to me from the claims dept, the cars pictures do not have a timestamp on them- they do not have a date or time included in each photo. The assessment of the damages of the car was done 3 days after it was rented and also assessed approx 5 miles from where it was dropped, times that I am not accountable for. I would deeply appreciate it if you could take the time to review this claim.
Thank you for your time,"

Follow what the forums say, I sent the first email to costumer service which they responded with "you have to speak to Viking". I then went up the exec ladder. At first they sent an email saying they will look into it. Then I received :

"Thank you for your patience while we researched the inquiry regarding Claim #####. I have confirmed with our third party claims administrator that the claim has been closed. You should receive formal notification from our claims administrator regarding the claim within the next 10 business days. I apologize for the frustration caused by the situation and am grateful that you brought it to our attention so that we may correct it on your behalf. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance in the future. "

Call them on their bluff! Even though I didn't have any receipts, just a nicely worded email can work!

Cheers!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Good job, Icey! I've long believed that the car rental companies are just bullies. They prey on customers that they think might roll over and pony up some money for bogus damage. When a customer politely demonstrates that they won't be pushed around, the car companies seem to back off. I also think it's important to use the strongest credit card you have for a car rental. My theory is that they'll leave you alone if they think you'll ask your CC for help, because you'll probably get it.

Reactions: James AZ
May 7, 2019
Good job, Icey! I've long believed that the car rental companies are just bullies. They prey on customers that they think might roll over and pony up some money for bogus damage. When a customer politely demonstrates that they won't be pushed around, the car companies seem to back off. I also think it's important to use the strongest credit card you have for a car rental. My theory is that they'll leave you alone if they think you'll ask your CC for help, because you'll probably get it.
I agree: I rented a car in Ireland and Hertz wanted to charge me for scrapes on the wheel rims. I told them I would dispute the charge with American Express and they immediately backed off. I was surprised.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I don’t think there is a rental car in Ireland that doesn’t have some kind of scrapes on it from those narrow roads.

We have a post on how to protect your self when renting a car and taking pictures at pick up and drop off can save a lot of grief to prove the car had the same scrapes and dents when you picked it up.

May 7, 2019
It was really something:
I made exactly your point, that avoiding wheel scrapes is impossible in Ireland. After a good 5-minute animated discussion, it occurred to me to tell them that I would dispute the charge with American Express. Immediately — like magic — the manager told me the charge was waived.