CheapOair + Qatar + Jet Blue ticket name change

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 1, 2018
I recently bought a round trip ticket for through CheapOair on January 19 2018, leaving from the US to Tanzania on July 17 2018. We are a bunch of hikers going to hike Kilimanjaro and flying out with Jet Blue + Qatar and returning Qatar. A few days ago I discovered that my ticket said Vivek Rajesh home Sharma.

My first name is Vivek Rajesh and last name is Sharma. I don’t know how but “home” got added to the tickets as middle name.This clearly doesn’t match the name on the passport. It’s clearly a mistake/typo and obviously it is the same person traveling.

Now this is where the nightmare begins.

CheapOair initially said its my fault and refused to help me out. I went to Jet Blue office in San Jose and they refused to do anything about the tickets. I called up Qatar a couple of times and they’re just saying they can't change the ticket name. They just keep saying that the ticket is bought through an agent(CheapOair) and only CheapOair can help out.

CheapOair is blindly telling me/scaring me by saying there is a very slim chance that I’ll be let to board the flight. I was very lucky to get to speak to a TSA officer in San Jose and he said that “extra” characters in name is allowed but it always depends on mercy of the TSA officer. If the matters are brought to a TSA supervisor he won’t let me board the flight.

CheapOair is just insisting that I will have to buy an entire new ticket to correct the name, which at current rate could be about an additional $2,000 on top of what I have already spent. They are asking me to work directly with the airlines to change name, but as of right now I am getting nowhere.

This all seem ridiculous, maddening and extremely frustrating.It’s clearly a typo and I am not even sure its my fault. I definitely should have checked the confirmation email sent to me but this has never happened to me. We are already paying a very high sum for the hike, and having to pay an additional larger sum of money just for this is causing us a great deal of anxiety. Unless CheapOair, Qatar or Jet Blue comes back and takes care of it, this just doesn't seem fair.

Can anyone offer any advice/help?

Thank you,
Vivek

This is very similar to thread http://forum.elliott.org/threads/ti...ith-cheapoair-united-airlines-aircanada.6493/ and it wasn’t clear how CheapOair helped out.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately, you most likely are going to have to cancel and repurchase your ticket. You had 24 hours to correct it when you bought it at no charge. Did you check the confirmation you received?

The tickets are issued the way you input them on your computer screen. And this isn’t a minor one letter change- you have an entire wrong word in the ticket.

Since you booked the ticket on Cheapo, you have to go through them to buy a new ticket. The airlines will not deal with you directly. You should get a credit for what you’ve already paid and should be able to use that credit less their rebooking/cancellation fee towards the new ticket. You will also have to pay the current price of the ticket so I recommend you contact Cheapo as soon as possible to buy a new ticket because prices will continue to go up as the travel date gets closer.

Sorry you didn’t notice this when you received the confirmation- you could have fixed it at no charge within 24 hours.

I wish you would have found us before you bought the ticket because we always recommend booking the ticket directly with the airline.

Sep 19, 2015
Cheapo owns the ticket until close to check in and they are not easy to work with.

This sounds like it may be a browser form auto -fill-in issue. I have had it with one browser and it is annoying.

Have you asked the airlines if it can be corrected at the airport when the ticket is under their control?

Have you tried writing to the cheapo contacts?

Apr 1, 2018
Unfortunately, you most likely are going to have to cancel and repurchase your ticket. You had 24 hours to correct it when you bought it at no charge. Did you check the confirmation you received?

The tickets are issued the way you input them on your computer screen. And this isn’t a minor one letter change- you have an entire wrong word in the ticket.

Since you booked the ticket on Cheapo, you have to go through them to buy a new ticket. The airlines will not deal with you directly. You should get a credit for what you’ve already paid and should be able to use that credit less their rebooking/cancellation fee towards the new ticket. You will also have to pay the current price of the ticket so I recommend you contact Cheapo as soon as possible to buy a new ticket because prices will continue to go up as the travel date gets closer.

Sorry you didn’t notice this when you received the confirmation- you could have fixed it at no charge within 24 hours.

I wish you would have found us before you bought the ticket because we always recommend booking the ticket directly with the airline.
Yes, I did get the confirmation but I didn't see through it carefully. Yes, that's what the CheapOair call center folks have been telling me. It just seems very unfair to have to pay 2K USD for an extra word in the name :-( I further read and it seems middle name doesn't really matter on the tickets. Do you have any info on that end?

Apr 1, 2018
Cheapo owns the ticket until close to check in and they are not easy to work with.

This sounds like it may be a browser form auto -fill-in issue. I have had it with one browser and it is annoying.

Have you asked the airlines if it can be corrected at the airport when the ticket is under their control?

Have you tried writing to the cheapo contacts?
I visited the airlines office here in San Jose and they said they can't do anything about it. I'd have to come through CheapOair since they were the agents that bought the tickets for me.

I'm going to wait for a day before I start writing to the Cheapo contacts. I wanted to see how people in similar situation resolved it. It seems very unfair to have to pay 2K USD for this minor mistake.

Do you have any information about if the TSA agents check the middle name while allowing people to board the flights?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I visited the airlines office here in San Jose and they said they can't do anything about it. I'd have to come through CheapOair since they were the agents that bought the tickets for me.

I'm going to wait for a day before I start writing to the Cheapo contacts. I wanted to see how people in similar situation resolved it. It seems very unfair to have to pay 2K USD for this minor mistake.

Do you have any information about if the TSA agents check the middle name while allowing people to board the flights?

They certainly do check the name. I really don’t suggest just showing up and hoping to fly- if it costs that much to buy a new ticket now, it will be much higher if you wait until you get to the airport and find that you have to buy the ticket then.

You had 24 hours to correct the ticket for free - we have many of these cases and it’s rare that there is a different outcome but it has happened.

I would write ASAP- our writing process tells you to leave a week in between escalating your letter from Customer Service up the executive chain. It could take you a month to get to the top of the chain.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Your problem isn’t with TSA. You are flying to a foreign country and you won’t be able to board the plane. Your ticket and passport must match. Boarding Will Be Denied because the airline will be deemed responsible if immigration denied you entry into Tanzania. And yes you will be denied. Sorry the longer you wait the more expensive your ticket will be.

Apr 1, 2018
Your problem isn’t with TSA. You are flying to a foreign country and you won’t be able to board the plane. Your ticket and passport must match. Boarding Will Be Denied because the airline will be deemed responsible if immigration denied you entry into Tanzania. And yes you will be denied. Sorry the longer you wait the more expensive your ticket will be.
Wow, I've never seen immigration check my flight tickets. Wouldn't immigration be only involved in checking the name on Visa and Passport - Am I missing something here?

That being said, I would really want to fix it before my flight dates. I've already contacted CheapOair and waiting on their response.

Apr 1, 2018
They certainly do check the name. I really don’t suggest just showing up and hoping to fly- if it costs that much to buy a new ticket now, it will be much higher if you wait until you get to the airport and find that you have to buy the ticket then.

You had 24 hours to correct the ticket for free - we have many of these cases and it’s rare that there is a different outcome but it has happened.

I would write ASAP- our writing process tells you to leave a week in between escalating your letter from Customer Service up the executive chain. It could take you a month to get to the top of the chain.
Yep, I just wrote to them and waiting on them to respond. Anything else that I can do in the meanwhile? I'm already checking the flight tickets and they're almost twice the price I booked it for :/