CheapoAir and TAP Portugal experience

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 1, 2018
I have been using CheapoAir for some time. I recently purchased 5 tickets for me and my family to travel to Lisbon Portugal in December 2017. My confirmation number is 44780612. The staff was very pleasant selling me tickets, selling me insurance, and selling me seat assignments. There was no mention of a baggage charge nor did the website indicated there was a charge for baggage on TAP.

Much to my surprise, when I arrived at the airport, the Portugal TAP customer service rep indicated I purchased my tickets thru a discounter (CheapoAir) and there was a $90 per bag charge each way. She also informed me that if I had purchased my tickets thru their (TAP) website their website there was no change for baggage. I was not going to let the fee spoil my trip, so we consolidated baggage to 3 check-ins and I paid $270.

The same thing happened upon return. When I got home I looked at at website for CheapoAir and TAP and there was no reference to a baggage sur charge. I called the CheapoAir customer service and spoke with Zam Lun. She indicated she would get back to me. After several days when called me back and told me the best she could do was offer a $25 credit. I really thought that was an insult and told her no. I told her I thought a fair settlement was to spilt the difference and have CheapoAir give me a $270 credit. That is half of what I paid. Mistakes happen, I believe this to be an oversight on CheapoAir’s part. ZamLun did call me back and indicate they could not honor my request.

I believe CheapoAir falsely presented the purchase of these tickets to me. Had they indicated a baggage charge would be included, I would have reconsidered purchase.

I am disappointed with CheapoAir. They did not represent their charges and they failed to protect their customers.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
I just did a sample duplicate trip, and the only thing I found for baggage fees was a link that takes you to the TAP website. The link says "Some airlines may charge baggage fees." You then click on TAP and it takes you to their website. TAP's website says that one checked bag is free as long as it's not overweight; I don't see anything about there being a fee if the flight is booked through a third party. I think you should contest this with TAP and make them show you where that third-party $90 fee is spelled out. It's definitely not here: https://www.flytap.com/en-us/baggage/hold-baggage

Feb 3, 2017
There is a link which you hover your mouse over when on the booking page on Cheapoair for "baggage fees" and it shows that there is no charge of a fee for carry on for TAP -

BUT, it also says: "Estimated baggage fees. Confirm with airline" - then you are informed that if you click on the link "BOOK" it indicates you have accepted all the terms and conditions.

All this is on the page after you select your flights in the section entitled: "Policies and Review" at the bottom of the page.

You can't move forward with the booking until you click on the big button that says BOOK and these policies are just above that link.

Granted it does not offer specifics as to baggage TAP does charge for, only that it doesn't charge for carry on and directs you to confirm any baggage with the airline.

I doubt many people do read these sections fully but it is there to see and it does spell out that booking indicates acceptance of the terms.

I never miss reading every bit before booking given all the potential charges, restrictions, etc these days

Feb 1, 2018
I just did a sample duplicate trip, and the only thing I found for baggage fees was a link that takes you to the TAP website. The link says "Some airlines may charge baggage fees." You then click on TAP and it takes you to their website. TAP's website says that one checked bag is free as long as it's not overweight; I don't see anything about there being a fee if the flight is booked through a third party. I think you should contest this with TAP and make them show you where that third-party $90 fee is spelled out. It's definitely not here: https://www.flytap.com/en-us/baggage/hold-baggage

Here is the baggage info from CeapoAir, indicates except discount fares. Based on your ticket it tells you what your baggage fee is. TAP already pointed me to this disclaimer.

Important information
The transport of hold baggage is free of charge from 1 September 2017, on all intercontinental flights and for tickets issued after 4 April 2017(or August 1 2017, in the case of the Brazilian market), except for tap | discount. tap|discount passengers who want to travel with hold baggage can purchase this service here.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Yes, Lee, but when you do click on that link, it takes you to TAP's own page, and I don't see anywhere on TAP's page that says third-party ticketholders have to pay for their bags. Do you?

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@AMA Its on the link that you provided. If you scroll down, it lists the number of bags by ticket type under "Find out the amount of checked baggage you can bring on your TAP flight." Discount tickets have 0 included. If you click "Extra Baggage" it lists 90 USD for intercontinental flights.

Edit: sorry can't figure out how to post screen shots....

Feb 3, 2017
What I did see on TAP's website is that if you purchase the "DISCOUNT" fare, it does not allow a checked bag which I assume means, if you want to check one, you have to pay for it but couldn't find how much. All I came upon was info about costs for excess weight charges for bags. It is not clear.

I might have missed it: did the OP select that "DISCOUNT" fare? Can't even recall if that came up when on Cheapoair (my grey cells are disappearing....)

Ah - I just saw johnbaker's reply - that would make it difficult to challenge, obviously.

Feb 1, 2018
Yes, Lee, but when you do click on that link, it takes you to TAP's own page, and I don't see anywhere on TAP's page that says third-party ticketholders have to pay for their bags. Do you?
When you enter in your ticket number is gives you the fee.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
I see what you mean, John. I still think it's worded very obliquely. "Discount" fare doesn't shout to me, third-party OTA, more like their lowest ticket tier. However, that is probably what TAP is using as their argument. I'm still on the OP's side just because the information is deeply buried and confusing.

Feb 3, 2017
But, Cheapoair states to "confirm with airline" - this, before clicking Book indicating one has read and accepted the terms. That indicates to me (I may be wrong) that the Cheapoair is clearly indicating that the airlines rules will be the ones to abide -

I don't use OTA so don't know if it is common that if someone books through a site like CheapoAir that the airline booked needs to spell out on their website what charges may or may not apply to those who bought tickets from a third party website.

Is that common for airlines to do?

Jan 6, 2015
I see that you "have been using CheapoAir for some time", and as long as there are no problems you may be pleased. But when problems such as the one you have here arise, the layer added by the OTA (CheapoAir) can severely hamper efforts toward a solution.

For that reason, it's worth considering for future travel to book through the actual travel providers. They can do things that OTAs (Online Travel Agencies) can't and often more quickly. This site is filled with stories of travelers being passed back and forth between the two. And the savings is sometimes minimal ...

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2017
OTAs, third party sites always refer you back to the airlines sites to check baggage rules. (Often changing) baggage rules, fees depend not only on the fare class, but on the route, date, the pasesenger's status, credit cards etc. There is no way for an OTA to know all of these info about the passengers.

Even if you buy a ticket directly from an arline - without any profile on file - the airline request your reservation number or many details of your flight, to give an exact fee for you baggages.
Here is the calculator for TAP fees:
http://book.flytap.com/bagsim/ExcessBaggageCalculator.aspx?_a=FTUSENUS&market=US&_l=EN-US

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I see that you "have been using CheapoAir for some time", and as long as there are no problems you may be pleased. But when problems such as the one you have here arise, the layer added by the OTA (CheapoAir) can severely hamper efforts toward a solution.

For that reasons, it's worth considering for future travel to book through the actual travel providers. They can do things that OTAs (Online Travel Agencies) can't and often more quickly. This site is filled with stories of travelers being passed back and forth between the two. And the savings is sometimes minimal ...
I had noticed the same thing - if you have been using Cheapo Air regularly then this had to have come up before.

Sep 19, 2015
TAP fare discount is similar to basic economy in the US airlines (no checked luggage). The difference can be as little as $20 for JFK to LIS (each way). When booking on TAP website one can see the prices and can link to compare fares -- and see what the restrictions are. Cheapoair gave the cheapest option. This is the problem with 3rd party bookings.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
TAP fare discount is similar to basic economy in the US airlines (no checked luggage). The difference can be as little as $20 for JFK to LIS (each way). When booking on TAP website one can see the prices and can link to compare fares -- and see what the restrictions are. Cheapoair gave the cheapest option. This is the problem with 3rd party bookings.
That is correct. When buying packaged Vacations the lowest air price is what you buy and those are usually the basic economy tickets if an airline has them. And many international airlines charge for checked luggage and seat assignments so you must go to the airline website and check all fee.