Charges

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 14, 2018
Hi there,

My mom and I recently went on a vacation together, and shared a room. On the third day of our stay, we returned to our room after a day at the beach to find out patio door had a large crack in the glass. We had both been back in the room at some point during the day and never noticed it. However, at that point I noticed it because I wanted to go out on to the patio.
We reported it immediately and were told someone would come take a look. An hour goes by and no one has come. At this point we are wanting to leave to go biking. We go to the front desk again. Staff has changed and again we are told someone will come up. We come back from biking and eventually someone shows up. He goes to the window, takes a quick peek and leaves. We hear nothing else.
At this point we do not want to open the patio door bc we don’t want to cause more damage / injure ourselves.
On it way out to dinner (about 45 minutes later), we stop at the front desk to ask what has come of the situation. They get the manager who informs us that she has charged our card for 1100 dollars bc according to the swipe cards on the doors we were the last ones in the room. She did not advise us before charging 1100, nor did she have any discussion about what may have happened. They also had no intention of advising us of this until check out. She then goes on to tell us that we must sign to approve the charge and that our keys have been disabled so we will not have any access to our room, or it’s contents (ie. passports, wallets, etc,) until we sign for the charge. We ended up signing but something about the whole situation just doesn’t sit right with me

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Dear Traveller2018 —what a horrible experience. Especially the blackmail part. Hopefully you wrote of the blackmail scheme on the page where you were forced to sign. Did that occur to you to do?
I imagine you are going to need a good attorney to get out of this one.
My daughter had a similar situation at an apartment she was leasing. Came home to find window broken. Front office supposedly documented her statement but when she moved out they claimed no knowledge of the statement and took the money out of her deposit. She fought it for a while but when it went to collections her husband decided it was more trouble than worth to fight, for the time element but mostly because they would soon be applying for a mortgage.
Is this a small motel or a chain?

Mar 14, 2018
Despite my fury, I actually did write beside my sisgnature “I am signing this to gain re entry to my room and my possessions”. It’s an independent hotel but I, like your daughters husband, worry that the time factor and lawyers fees must be taken in to account here. I feel like we were taken advantage of because while 1100 is a substantial amount of money by the time you get lawyers involved ....

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
@Traveller2018 do we have company contacts for the hotel? Company contacts are located at a link at the top of the page. If not, please click back on the Company Contacts link and you can send a help request for someone to research contacts for the hotel.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What a most horrible experience, it boggles the mind. I'm assuming that you do not know how/when the glass was broken. Please do not let this hotel get away with what is obviously a bid to get your money. Write directly to the hotel's GM outlining the situation ... facts only, no emotion ... and ask for the $1100 charge to be reversed immediately. If no response or you don't like what you hear, dispute the charge with your credit card. Then use our company contacts to elevate your request, allowing a week between each submission. Remain businesslike and polite, even in the face of treatment like this.

amandam

Verified Member
Feb 21, 2018
Arlington, VA
I'm so sorry for your experience. This is absolutely horrible. I would have to agree with the above, do not let them get away with this. I think it's important that you immediately dispute with your credit card because any acknowledgement of the transaction will be difficult to argue later down the road. Do you have a copy of your signature with the statement you wrote next to it? At this point I wouldn't trust the hotel to keep that and would worry that they somehow remove the comment in the event this require legal action. Do you have any proof that they were withholding your passports, wallets etc? I'm not entirely sure, but I think that's illegal and I would file a police report and see what they have to say about it.