Charged for returned phone

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 12, 2016
I purchased Galaxy s7 from Costco (store kiosk, Wireless Advocates) $694.99 (monthly payments 23.17 for 30 months)
Made purchase on April 29, 2016, started wireless service with AT&T. Had problems with AT&T customer support, terminated service on May 6 20016 (in 7 days) and returned the phone back to Costco in like new conditions. The purchase and return were made within 14 days "trail period".
On June 8 got bill from AT&T (I have UVerse and internet wi AT&T). The bill included a charge for the phone
$671.82 (stating that first installment of 23.17 was made on May 13 (?!!) and since I terminated services, I own them rest of the money.
1. I did return the phone to the store, where I got it on May 6! (within 14 days trial period)
2. I did not make payment of $23.17 (payment posted 5/13 after I returned the phone)
Cannot get charges removed. Going back and force between Costco and AT&T.
Contacted Costco customer support several times. Each time Costco assures that it will be resolved in 2-3 days, but time goes on and nothing. July 6 Costco assured me that issue has been resolved, but July 11 I got a bill including the same $671.82 with LATE CHARGES! I contacted AT&T customer support, they know nothing and and initiated a new case (they are already 4 cases pending). The bottom line is:
**Costco saying, I have balance ZERO, they settled everything with AT&T.
**AT&T creating cases to investigate, when I contact them for an update, they say that there are no notes on the case, and creating a new one, to escalate the previous.
I have all papers, receipts, AT&T cases numbers, phone records, and chats with AT&T
Spent days on the phone and chats. Is it possible to bring some kind of legal actions?
Any help and advise will be greatly appreciated

Feb 9, 2016
ATT is merging with Direct TV and that is causing NIGHTMARES.

I switched from ATT Uverse to Direct TV and
ATT Uverse never prorated my Uvese account so the amount I was not responsible for went delinquent sp they shut down my service. 7 hours later my service was restored but now my account shows as delinquent payer and all the perks I was entitled to were stripped (no more 2 year rate, no more free HBO, etc) I have spent 12 hours on the phone continuously straightening this out.

The next phone call I need to make is the one where I argue that I AM entitled to my $100 visa gift card as a new customer. I'm dreading that one.

When you call ATT Uverse I suggest you ask the CS rep immediately if you can speak to the billing department. In the billing department I suggest you ask if you can speak to the floor supervisor. They usually have the power to make things happen. Every time you speak to someone ask them to please make notes in the account. Every time you speak with someone make sure you write down the start time (the time you dialed the call) the name of the person you spoke with, the city and state they are located in and the details of the phone call. This way YOU can refer back to your information on follow up phone calls.

Feb 9, 2016
Here's another thing that gets under my skin about my whole scenario. Twice they turned off my service because they thought I was delinquent. (the delinquent part of the bill was actually the prorated balance that I shouldn't have been charged)

Each time they shut down my service I was able to get it restored or a $49 fee that I would have to call and dispute to get removed. I wasn't worried about getting it disputed, rather irritated that I would have to call, yet again.

Here's what people don't generally realize about hat $49 fee. If it actually appears on your bill as a charge, there are taxes and fees assessed to it, making that $49 fee an actual $60 charge.

People call up and get a $49 credit without realizing that there are actually a total of $60 that they are due as a refund.

It's been a nightmare, I literally have PTSD, lol

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2015
New York
I purchased Galaxy s7 from Costco (store kiosk, Wireless Advocates) $694.99 (monthly payments 23.17 for 30 months)
Made purchase on April 29, 2016, started wireless service with AT&T. Had problems with AT&T customer support, terminated service on May 6 20016 (in 7 days) and returned the phone back to Costco in like new conditions. The purchase and return were made within 14 days "trail period".
On June 8 got bill from AT&T (I have UVerse and internet wi AT&T). The bill included a charge for the phone
$671.82 (stating that first installment of 23.17 was made on May 13 (?!!) and since I terminated services, I own them rest of the money.
1. I did return the phone to the store, where I got it on May 6! (within 14 days trial period)
2. I did not make payment of $23.17 (payment posted 5/13 after I returned the phone)
Cannot get charges removed. Going back and force between Costco and AT&T.
Contacted Costco customer support several times. Each time Costco assures that it will be resolved in 2-3 days, but time goes on and nothing. July 6 Costco assured me that issue has been resolved, but July 11 I got a bill including the same $671.82 with LATE CHARGES! I contacted AT&T customer support, they know nothing and and initiated a new case (they are already 4 cases pending). The bottom line is:
**Costco saying, I have balance ZERO, they settled everything with AT&T.
**AT&T creating cases to investigate, when I contact them for an update, they say that there are no notes on the case, and creating a new one, to escalate the previous.
I have all papers, receipts, AT&T cases numbers, phone records, and chats with AT&T
Spent days on the phone and chats. Is it possible to bring some kind of legal actions?
Any help and advise will be greatly appreciated
I figured this out. The answer is on the Costco website and in the Att Terms linked therein.
Since you didn't cancel within 3 days, there will be some fees, including an activation fee, possibility a restocking fee and charges for your use of the device for the week you used t. You will not have an early termination fee.
However, Costco states:

Returns, Cancellations and Exchanges
If I do not like my phone, can I exchange my phone for another phone?
Within your 14 day carrier trial period you may exchange your purchase. To initiate the exchange please contact our Customer Service team. Please do not bring your purchase to a Costco warehouse. During the exchange process you will be charged the full retail price for your replacement phone until we receive your original purchase back. Upon receipt and processing of your original device we will refund the full price of your replacement phone.

Looks like Costco didn't properly process the return so it appears your issue is with them.

Your mistake was returning it to Costco. On the website it says you are not supposed to do that but must get a return authorization, wait for the prepaid label and send it to that address. During that time the full charge posts to your account and should be removed in a couple of weeks. By returning the phone a different way, you delayed the process so the full charge will be on your account much much longer. Since its July, they probably lost it. Contact Costco with your proof of return to get this sorted.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
How did the good people of this country get into such a position that we can't get simple problems solved? If we don't adhere to the way the company wants it done, we're out of luck.

I can't deal with ATT to repair my home phone because I don't know the ID and password (set up at least 15 years ago, never used); I can't get my ID or password because I don't have the 3-digit code on my bill because it's paid automatically on a credit card. Neither can I retrieve my information with my social because they have it wrong in their records. Nobody will answer the phone at repair, you must deal online. I can't use the online service.

I don't get reliable enough cell service to be able to disconnect my landline. So if I have a heart attack and die because we can't call for an ambulance, would one of you please SUE ATT on my behalf???

Aug 28, 2015
New York
How did the good people of this country get into such a position that we can't get simple problems solved? If we don't adhere to the way the company wants it done, we're out of luck.

I can't deal with ATT to repair my home phone because I don't know the ID and password (set up at least 15 years ago, never used); I can't get my ID or password because I don't have the 3-digit code on my bill because it's paid automatically on a credit card. Neither can I retrieve my information with my social because they have it wrong in their records. Nobody will answer the phone at repair, you must deal online. I can't use the online service.

I don't get reliable enough cell service to be able to disconnect my landline. So if I have a heart attack and die because we can't call for an ambulance, would one of you please SUE ATT on my behalf???
You can call ATT and they will reset that pin, I think it may be 4 numbers and the default might be the last 4 of your social, until you change it. You can also try the online chat with them. I used to have home service with ATT and it didn't work either!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I figured this out. The answer is on the Costco website and in the Att Terms linked therein.
Since you didn't cancel within 3 days, there will be some fees, including an activation fee, possibility a restocking fee and charges for your use of the device for the week you used t. You will not have an early termination fee.
However, Costco states:

Returns, Cancellations and Exchanges
If I do not like my phone, can I exchange my phone for another phone?
Within your 14 day carrier trial period you may exchange your purchase. To initiate the exchange please contact our Customer Service team. Please do not bring your purchase to a Costco warehouse. During the exchange process you will be charged the full retail price for your replacement phone until we receive your original purchase back. Upon receipt and processing of your original device we will refund the full price of your replacement phone.

Looks like Costco didn't properly process the return so it appears your issue is with them.

Your mistake was returning it to Costco. On the website it says you are not supposed to do that but must get a return authorization, wait for the prepaid label and send it to that address. During that time the full charge posts to your account and should be removed in a couple of weeks. By returning the phone a different way, you delayed the process so the full charge will be on your account much much longer. Since its July, they probably lost it. Contact Costco with your proof of return to get this sorted.
Excellent research work!

Aug 28, 2015
New York
If the LW is still with us, he should call Costco once more, and discuss the return processing of the device, bc that the charge is for the equipment and not the phone service.

After that, I would feel very comfortable filing a credit card dispute for an item returned and not credited. He just needs to send the card issuer the purchase and return receipts.

Nov 21, 2014

@jsn55, I just went through this very scenario with ATT...look at your last bill paid by credit card...they will talk to you if you give them that amount! Truly a most frustrating experience! But it worked!

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015

Can you switch the service /phone number/ to VERIZON or some mother types of service? It's actually much cheaper and if you don't like it, you can always switch back too ATT and set up a whole new account.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
You can call ATT and they will reset that pin, I think it may be 4 numbers and the default might be the last 4 of your social, until you change it. You can also try the online chat with them. I used to have home service with ATT and it didn't work either!
I can't get a human at ATT to answer the phone. Their computer won't communicate with me. Their records show an incorrect social. Nobody will chat with me because I can't produce the PIN or whatever they show as my social. BUT you've given me hope ... if the pin is probably 4 numbers. I can try the numbers I used to use for PINS, that will probably work. THANKS!

I can't get a human at ATT to answer the phone. Their computer won't communicate with me. Their records show an incorrect social. Nobody will chat with me because I can't produce the PIN or whatever they show as my social. BUT you've given me hope ... if the pin is probably 4 numbers. I can try the numbers I used to use for PINS, that will probably work. THANKS!
Try the last four digits of your phone number, too.