Charged for damages I didn't do.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 23, 2020
I recently received a bill for repair of damage to a truck I rented that I didn't do. The damage was on the roof of the cab of the truck. When I rented the truck I did an inspection but didn't bother to climb up on the roof to inspect it since I have a bad knee, and I thought the likelihood of damage on the roof was unlikely. Over the weekend I received a bill from National Car Rental stating that I owed $1525.92 for damage done to the cab roof. What is the best way to proceed with them?

May 21, 2020
near Charlotte, NC
There have been a number of complaints about this very situation so you’re not alone. Please read the link below and follow the instructions on how to proceed:

If you have questions, please come back and post them and we’ll do our best to help.

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
I want to add here to help those that find this thread. You will find this type of roof damage to cab roof or truck box roof are not covered by the insurance you buy from the car and truck rental companies. If you read their terms you will see that this damage is excluded from the coverage you bought.

Reactions: jayxcess
Oct 10, 2015
Hmmmm. Is it the responsibility of the renter to climb up to the roof of a box truck or other somewhat tall vehicle to inspect that for damage? Kind of dangerous.

Would you like to be the first to make a federal case out of a responsibility of the rental company to provide an American With Disabilities Act compliant method of performing the inspection in order to be entitled to hold the renter responsible for such damage?

Sam

Jan 22, 2015
Colorado
At my day job we are an agent for one of the big national truck rental companies. When we call to confirm our reservations we always tell people to double check with their insurance company to see what if any coverages are offered by their insurance company, as many companies limit their coverage due to size, weight or number of wheels on the truck.

The damage waiver that we sell covers any damage that may occur to the truck while it's in your possession (household rentals only, not commercial).

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
The damage waiver that we sell covers any damage that may occur to the truck while it's in your possession (household rentals only, not commercial).
Does your coverage cover all overhead damage?